Techgage.com

Techgage.com (http://forums.techgage.com/index.php)
-   Site and Forum Comments & Issues (http://forums.techgage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Should we begin posting press releases in our forums? (http://forums.techgage.com/showthread.php?t=11294)

Rob Williams 06-26-2012 03:43 PM

Should we begin posting press releases in our forums?

Hi all:

On any given day, I receive a lot of press releases, and sometimes, there are some worth talking about. But thanks to a lack of time or some other factor, we don't talk about the product or service until we review it, or not at all.

So, I'm looking to gauge interest here. Would it be worth our while to relay these press releases to you guys? We'd basically post some of them verbatim in our news forum, along with the images we were supplied. It'd be an easy way for us to just get the information in front of your eyes, and save our time for more important news posts.

I should note that these might not -just- be press releases, but if we're sent information directly then we might just post that also.

Let us know!

Optix 06-26-2012 03:45 PM

If there's enough positive response to a press release it could be a good indicator that we might have overlooked something if we weren't planning on reviewing it.

Rob Williams 06-26-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optix (Post 56460)
If there's enough positive response to a press release it could be a good indicator that we might have overlooked something if we weren't planning on reviewing it.

That's a good point. Never thought of that.

madmat 06-26-2012 03:55 PM

I agree with Optix. You never know what is going to generate interest.

Rob Williams 06-26-2012 07:08 PM

Yup, I'm starting to think that this thread didn't even need to exist, haha. Will leave it here though, and ponder how I want to go about this. A "Press Release" sub-forum might be best, rather than our usual news forum since that's meant for readers, not us.

madmat 06-26-2012 09:14 PM

Personally I'd just ad another section to this subforum (Site HQ).

Rob Williams 06-26-2012 09:23 PM

I was thinking of just renaming "Community Submissions" to "Submissions", then adding the other category. It doesn't really belong under the site HQ because that's meant to be for site matters and content.

I think I'll set the forum up later, and change it along the way as we need to.

madmat 06-26-2012 10:27 PM

The main reason I was thinking about the section is simply that it's the first one you see in the forum when you get here.

eunoia 06-27-2012 08:40 PM

I trust you to leave out the ones that aren't actual press releases. A lot of time hardware press releases aren't anything more than jockeying for the public consciousness. As soon as you see hedge words like "hopes", "considering", "speculating" they're just grist for the rumour mill and take deserved attention away from actual hardware companies doing actual things.

Outside of that, I dig almost all hardware news.

Rob Williams 06-27-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eunoia (Post 56496)
I trust you to leave out the ones that aren't actual press releases. A lot of time hardware press releases aren't anything more than jockeying for the public consciousness. As soon as you see hedge words like "hopes", "considering", "speculating" they're just grist for the rumour mill and take deserved attention away from actual hardware companies doing actual things.

Outside of that, I dig almost all hardware news.

Yeah of course, and those "releases" bug the hell out of me. An example would be new PSUs that Cooler Master just released. We don't review PSUs, because we can't. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about them. And for that matter, the company also just released a chassis that we may or may not review, but you guys might still be interested in learning about them.

I am behind here but will get to this soon. Could be a fun way to drum up some conversation.