Techgage.com

Techgage.com (http://forums.techgage.com/index.php)
-   Site and Forum Comments & Issues (http://forums.techgage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Acronis True Image Home 2012 Contest (http://forums.techgage.com/showthread.php?t=8937)

Rob Williams 10-16-2011 10:36 PM

Acronis True Image Home 2012 Contest

(Contest is closed. Winner to be chosen in the days to come.)

It's time for another Techgage contest!

We're giving away a copy of Acronis True Image Home 2012 to 5 randomly-selected entrants. In lieu of physical product, we're going to be awarding digital copies, allowing us to open this contest worldwide.

To enter, we want to know what your backup solution is if you have one, and also whether or not you've experienced a data disaster in the past. No, we're not gluttons for data corruption stories, but getting the word out about what can happen sure can't hurt!

Important: Non-site members need to include a Facebook or Twitter handle so that we have a method of contact in the event of a winner. Our regular community members will receive 2 entries into our contest as a thanks from us for their active participation.

Good luck!

Full rules and regulations can be seen on our official contest page.

marfig 10-16-2011 10:53 PM

Oh! This is great Rob. Thanks for another excellent contest. I'm in!

My latest backup story is unfortunately rather recent. This February I got my current system. Moving stuff from one computer to the other was a simple matter of performing the necessary backups on the old system and restore them to the new. In the end I had 5 DVDs worth of backups (mostly work, pictures, music and emulator stuff).

Having used a backup software for some time already, this was no big deal. So once it was all done and over with, I wiped the old disk to be used on the new machine as a 2nd HD. Unfortunately, I didn't check my DVDs against errors. I had actually lost two of them, thanks to Roxio Burner. Half of my arcade and ZX Spectrum emulator collection gone. As well as a non essential part of my work.

Moral of the Story: Always check your backup media for errors. Just using a good backup program isn't enough. It's important to make sure the backups are correctly stored.

slugbug 10-17-2011 01:44 AM

I could make good use of this app.
I don't have a backup solution but luckily have not experienced any data loss in a few years.

Unregistered 10-17-2011 03:55 AM

I'm in!

Currently don't have a full-disk backup solution, but I have my own XXCOPY-powered backup scripts which copy my important docs to an external HDD. Haven't experienced a drive failure, yet.

My Twitter: whitehat2k9

sh4un 10-17-2011 01:14 PM

I use Nero Back-it-up on the family computer. The HTPC and my laptop currently don't have any back-up set up. Any important files I put on the family computer as a back-up, but I am at risk of losing my contacts, bookmarks, and the like.

Superman 10-17-2011 09:46 PM

I would love to get my hands on this Rob. Count me in.

I had a major disaster a few years back and lost everything. Saved games, bookmarks, home work, work work and, just stuff I had collected.
So now I am currently using the Windows 7 backup and restore, in control panel.
It runs every week on to a external drive and, I periodically copy that to another drive and/or burn it onto dvds for added assurance.

Unregistered 10-17-2011 11:54 PM

Let me win!

I need this!! :-)

marfig 10-18-2011 01:02 PM

Folks. Some of you really need to read the contest rules.

Slugbug and the unregistered person above me, please notice these parts:

Quote:

To enter our contest, we want to know what your backup solution is if you have one, and also whether or not you've experienced a data disaster in the past.
Quote:

Non-site members need to include a Facebook or Twitter handle so that we have a method of contact in the event of a winner.

Unregistered 10-18-2011 01:48 PM

Backup solution

OK - I'm a bit of a belt, braces and another belt type of guy.

Primary backup is an online system from a company that we are channel partners for. This backs up almost all of my personal and company data (some exceptions, listed below)

Everything in "My documents" (which includes all my company stuff, MP3s and videos) is synchronised to a laptop (strictly speaking - not a backup but a copy as I can only get back the latest version).

MP3s, videos and photos are synchronised to an NAS device (again, strictly speaking not a backup)

MP3s & videos that haven't come from CDs or DVDs (e.g. downloads, own recordings, etc.) & photos are copied onto 2 DVDs, one onsite, one offsite. There are 2 sets of DVDs so that I never overwrite the latest backup

Finally, ex-clients are archived to 3 DVDs, 1 onsite, 2 offsite.

As for disasters - several, fortunately none mine. I've had disk failures, but my backups have always worked. I've had clients phone saying their disk has died and can I recover the data - usually the answer is yes, but the cost is as much as they would have paid for 5 years worth of backup, and it takes longer to do the recovery.

I'm twitter.com/trevorwood

larrypm 10-18-2011 06:15 PM

I have a 500 Gb Seagate Drive plus six USB drives of various sizes. I use a variety of backup means offered by Microsoft Windows and others. But I do religiously backup important things like my music and documents.
I also have two partiotions on my laptop, one for OS, and another for a second back up.
I learned the hard way after a drive died on me several years ago, a standard hard drive in a case, and I lost everything on it, including 1500 songs.

Unregistered 10-18-2011 06:22 PM

count me in.

HI after having a hard drive fail on me in the past with no backups for it I learned my lesson and started making system images of my drives on a backup external hard drive. It would be nice to have a all in 1 backup solution.

My facebook handle is: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000013171774

Unregistered 10-18-2011 07:18 PM

I store some important files online (google docs, etc) and I hope my HDs won't let me down soon...

@josevigny

Rob Williams 10-18-2011 10:12 PM

Good entries so far. Keep 'em coming, peeps :D

SupremeGeek 10-18-2011 10:53 PM

I do not currently have much of a backup plan. I have lost data before. We had a 1TB HDD that failed with camily pictures on it. I had manually copied most of them to another drive but I did loose quite a few.

Unregistered 10-18-2011 11:31 PM

My backup solution

My backup solution right now is just using the built in backup in Windows 7 and just on two Western Digital 500 gb drives.

Twitter: @cooliebwoy