View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Buck-O
Coastermaker

Quote:
I listened to many various songs off this album and repeatedly listened with and without the bass and treble being enabled, and noticed an extreme minute difference. One that you'd clearly have to be intently paying attention to catch. The "Loud" button made up for all that though.
THis phrase conscerns me.

You mention "with and without the bass and treble enabled". This statement confuses the HELL out of me.

They are on On/Off buttons. In that you turn on "treble" and suddenly the treble is improved.
If Altec stays true to their former designs, and i cant see why not...pushing the button activates the adjustment feature for that tone. For example...

You push the treble button, it lights up...
THen you adjust the volume knob...and the volume lights display the level of adjusment for that tone range, from 0 to 100%.
Then after you have adjusted it to the desired level, you push the button again to cancel the adjusment mode, and go back to normal volume mode.

Perhaps the reviewer understood this...and just didnt convey it properly.

But given teh quality of Altec Lancings speakers (i happen to own a pair, and have owned several), it seems silly for me to think that they sounded as bad as they did.

For myself personally, i find that altering the sound useing Loud options, and "sfx" options, isnt an option. But then again im a bit of an audio whore, so perhaps im not the best to say one way or the other. But for me, i dont like them.

I would also like to point out that the top cap with mesh on it, is nothing more then a protective cap/bueaty cover.

Remove that, and all you basicly have is a simple ported box. But the isobaric design does help with efficiency, and therefore produces stronger, louder, tighter bass in a smaller woofer enclosure. But i wouldent say its anything revolutionary. Though it is a first in the small multimedia speaker system market. So i will give them there credit where its due.

Anyway, closing up, i would like to hear the reviewers responce to the bass treble buttons. And weither or not the imagine and soundstage of the speakers was adiquate. And also the placment of the speaker units in relation to the reviewer.
Buck-O is offline   Reply With Quote