View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 11:05 AM   #8
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I agree, the price is far too high, especially considering it's around the same price of a 6600GT. I am expecting to see the card go down in price after release.. of course that also depends on the success. If it takes off right away, the price will not budge.

This is why I expect to see the Xbox 360 take off in November. I expect the system, two games and a spare controller to be around $700.. which is less than half of the price point you gave.

It will be interesting to see how it fares after these next gen systems are released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I'm still concearned with the price.
I hate console gaming, but seriously.

2 7800 GTX in SLI - ~ $1000-$1200
1 AGEIA Physics PPU - ~$300

You are looking at upwards of $1500 if you want high end, and if they are all replaced in 6 months, that is a ton of cash to drop simply to game at the top for 6 months.

Granted it will all last longer, but still thats a heavy premium to pay for such short product cycles.

Also for the more main stream gamer, those with cards in the Graphics cards in the $150-$250 range convincing them they should drop another $300 on a PPU when the $250 GPU was already taxing their budget is ridiculous.

I know this is cutting edge tech, but even AGEIA has to realize that GPU's slowly worked their way up.. initially Voodoo cards were $100-$150... only recently has this trend of pricey video cards caught on. Had 3dfx started with $300 cards.... 3D gaming as we know it today would not exist.

Thanks,
Dave

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote