View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
marfig
No ROM battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango View Post
A $39.00 passively cooled ATI Radeon 4500 beat the pants off a $250 NVidia card with all it's fan noise, external power etc...
No, it doesn't. You need to explain a bit more what exactly are you actually comparing both cards against...

I'd say, for the little that you give us, indeed you don't need a $250 card to watch 1080p videos. There's a reason why that card costs that much, uses so much power and heats so much. And it's not for 1080p videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango View Post
And now we have to use external coolers on them???
Nah. This Zalman thing is a flop. What we have been experiencing in fact is quite good cooling from manufacturers. Hence why the market for GPU coolers never got a real kickstart.

That said, the idea of further cooling my GPU beyond that which is given the manufacturer gives me is appealing. This is currently the responsible for temperature rising inside our cases, stressing other components cooling requirements.

But while Nvidia may here or there presents us with less optimal chips, this is essentially the same for both companies (nvidia and amd). Likewise these companies partners are also largely responsible if they don't offer good enough casings.

Quote:
So why is NVidia such a big contender?
I'm sory but I just don't understand it....
You don't understand, because you are thinking that Nvidia is that bad; when it isn't.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX

Last edited by marfig; 08-10-2011 at 04:20 PM.
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote