View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

The Plextor M5 Pro also suffers from rapid degradation too it seems. Anandtech covered most of the recent drives and plotted their long term performance consistency, so you can flick through the results there...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6428/c...ities-tested/5

and

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6737/m...review-200gb/2

The Micron P400M looks to be a good drive too (Micron owns Crucial). Just be aware, that it's an enterprise drive, and costs more as a result. The Crucial/Micron M500 is due out soon too, and that is likely to have similar consistency (won't know for sure till later).

I'm still not sure on the Samsung 840 Pro, its firmware issues appear to be cleared, so its a case of checking user feedback. Just make sure it's the Pro version, and not the standard 840.

And yeah, OCZ had taken a beating on reputation, their catalogue is littered with failures from dodgy Sandforce tweaks and corrupt firmware. To say they were the only ones to suffer would be silly, since even Corsair took a massive rep hit with its Sandforce Controllers. This is partly why I and many others suggest staying clear of Sandforce based SSDs, there are just too many horror stories. Now, that doesn't mean to stay clear forever, the next batch may be different, since it has been over a year since a major release or chip update. Things are more centred around 20 and 19nm NAND at the moment.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote