View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Frustrating networking issues

I'm dealing with a networking problem that's driving me the right amount of nuts to persuade me to make this post.

I moved at the start of the month, and my ISP is unable to install net here until the 14th (yes, that's ridiculous). So, I've been borrowing a neighbor's wireless connection, and so far that's served me well. Because I need to access my NAS box on occasion, I have a router hooked up which that, and my PC plugs into. Normally, there's no issue here.

For some reason, though, I cannot have both my NIC that's wired into this router and my wireless dongle active at the same time. If both are active, I can access the NAS, but not the Internet. If I have just one active, I can't access whatever the opposite connection is connected to (obviously). Essentially, I can't go online and use my NAS at the same time, and that's annoying.

I tried a number of Windows tweaks that did nothing to help. At first, I was happy to blame Windows for the issue, but I experience the exact same thing under Linux. I was running a remote backup script earlier, and whenever the NIC was enabled, the script would just halt. Once I disabled it again, it'd continue in its merry way. I'm at a loss here.

I also changed routers, and the issue persists across both. I also changed NICs... ditto.

Funny enough, if I am loading a webpage and it's going slow, and then I disable my wired NIC, the page gives me a "This webpage is not available" error immediately. It's clear that the OS is trying to get my Internet through my wired connection instead of the wireless.

Any ideas?

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote