View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

It's great to see you around, Psi*!

I admit that I am pretty unfamiliar with coin-mining efficiency, and this is really the first I've heard of NVIDIA cards being considered for such a purpose. From what I understand, even mainstream AMD Radeon cards can outperform NVIDIA's highest-end, although that might change with the new Maxwell architecture. I need to look around and see if there is a worthwile benchmark that can help give me some proper information on this.

Also, how on earth is a K6000 going for $10K? That should be about $5K tops. Oddly enough, I have a K5000, so I am now wondering if that would be worth testing out some mining concepts with.

Though I should note I am really not a fan of mining... I find it kind of silly that money can be pulled out of thin air, and that people spend so much money on their power bills at a bite of it - I mean, it doesn't seem reasonable that I could build a PC and begin earning more than I spent on it. Some facts are lost on me.

The biggest issue is how it's affected the gaming market for Radeon cards. I know a handful of people that have wanted to buy but have held back due to the insane inflation.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote