Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Razer DeathAdder Gaming Mouse

Razer has developed gaming mice for a while, but all have been ambidextrous. The DeathAdder breaks that habit to become the first Razer right-handed mouse. Aside from that, we quickly found out that the DeathAdder is one of the best looking and most comfortable mice on the market today.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
NicePants42
Partition Master

My main gripe with the Copperhead was that it required that USB legacy support be turned off in the motherboard BIOS, otherwise the mouse wouldn't be detected without unplugging/replugging it. (Not even the latest firmware, which supposedly turned the button underneath into a 'reboot' button solved allowed the mouse to be detected without being unplugged first.)

This in itself is not a major problem, but in my specific circumstance, I dual-boot XP 32 and XP 64, and I use a Logitech G15. For some reason, unless USB legacy support is enabled, the G15 will not respond during the 30 second time interval where I am supposed to choose the OS to boot.

So my question in a nutshell is this: did you have any driver/BIOS issues to speak of?
NicePants42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

That's strange. I've had that with wireless USB products, but not wired. Greg probably won't be able to reply to this until Monday, because he doesn't have net at home (as horrible as that sounds).

He lives in the sticks.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 AM   #4
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Thumbs down

I paid out $60 for this mouse because the copperhead I bought was so uncomfortable to use, while gaming I got cramps in my hand. Button five does NOT work when it comes to mapping a KB key or using it as a macro. Yet any windows function (Dbl click, Paste) works just fine telling me the button does work. I play Battlefield series a lot, and I map Ctrl to thumb button #5 to kneel in game, but it doesn't work. What really ticks me off is...Razer has given me zero support via the phone, or the web. They just wanted to send me another mouse after I sent mine in...a three week turn-around. I don't think the problem likes with the mouse as the button seems to function find with Windows commands assigned to it, but wont simulate any key stroke. I believe the software or firmware has issues. I think a new mouse would so the same thing, and am quit pissed off. They said they would get right back to me and itís been over a month. The only good thing I have to say is...Razer finaly designed a comfortable mouse, now I just need to sinsere support.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

@ Unregistered...

It's unfortunate to hear that. I have personally never had to deal with Razer's customer support because fortunately nothing of theirs that I have owned has ever crapped out. While it doesn't really help you out any at all, I hope that your an isolated incident and that this isn't the norm for their support group.

As for mapping keys to the mouse, that is something that I will look into on my own. I always program the back button to reload and the scroll wheel button to switch weapons. I will try this tonight in BF2 and see if I can reproduce the problems. While you loose all DPI settings and adjustability, have you tried using the mouse without the Razer software loaded?

System:
Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | WD 2TB Green x 1 | EVGA 660 Ti Superclocked | Corsair H80 Water Cooler
Fractal Design R3 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 1920x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i7 920 @ 3.0 GHz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 1TB Black x 2
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicePants42 View Post
My main gripe with the Copperhead was that it required that USB legacy support be turned off in the motherboard BIOS, otherwise the mouse wouldn't be detected without unplugging/replugging it. (Not even the latest firmware, which supposedly turned the button underneath into a 'reboot' button solved allowed the mouse to be detected without being unplugged first.)

This in itself is not a major problem, but in my specific circumstance, I dual-boot XP 32 and XP 64, and I use a Logitech G15. For some reason, unless USB legacy support is enabled, the G15 will not respond during the 30 second time interval where I am supposed to choose the OS to boot.

So my question in a nutshell is this: did you have any driver/BIOS issues to speak of?

Pants,

This is something that I have not noticed but to be fair, haven't paid any attention too. I will test this out when I get home and see what problems, if any, I run into.

As for your G15, most motherboards that I have worked with have USB keyboard and USB mouse startup options. Can you enable one and disable the other in your BIOS or does it only give you the option to turn them both on?

System:
Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | WD 2TB Green x 1 | EVGA 660 Ti Superclocked | Corsair H80 Water Cooler
Fractal Design R3 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 1920x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i7 920 @ 3.0 GHz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 1TB Black x 2
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
NicePants42
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSynergy View Post
As for your G15, most motherboards that I have worked with have USB keyboard and USB mouse startup options. Can you enable one and disable the other in your BIOS or does it only give you the option to turn them both on?
I'm running an ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe, and I have no options for independent boot control of mouse/keyboard. I have PS/2 control and USB1.1/2.0 control, but cannot selectively ignore a mouse/keyboard during boot.
NicePants42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:34 AM   #8
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I paid out $60 for this mouse because the copperhead I bought was so uncomfortable to use, while gaming I got cramps in my hand. Button five does NOT work when it comes to mapping a KB key or using it as a macro. Yet any windows function (Dbl click, Paste) works just fine telling me the button does work. I play Battlefield series a lot, and I map Ctrl to thumb button #5 to kneel in game, but it doesn't work. What really ticks me off is...Razer has given me zero support via the phone, or the web. They just wanted to send me another mouse after I sent mine in...a three week turn-around. I don't think the problem likes with the mouse as the button seems to function find with Windows commands assigned to it, but wont simulate any key stroke. I believe the software or firmware has issues. I think a new mouse would so the same thing, and am quit pissed off. They said they would get right back to me and itís been over a month. The only good thing I have to say is...Razer finaly designed a comfortable mouse, now I just need to sinsere support.

Have exactely the same problem.... did you manage to solve it?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Quote:
I play Battlefield series a lot, and I map Ctrl to thumb button #5 to kneel in game, but it doesn't work. What really ticks me off is...Razer has given me zero support via the phone, or the web. They just wanted to send me another mouse after I sent mine in...a three week turn-around. I don't think the problem likes with the mouse as the button seems to function find with Windows commands assigned to it, but wont simulate any key stroke. I believe the software or firmware has issues. I think a new mouse would so the same thing, and am quit pissed off. They said they would get right back to me and itís been over a month. The only good thing I have to say is...Razer finaly designed a comfortable mouse, now I just need to sinsere support.
I have a Death Adder and I cannot map buttons in BF2 either. I'm sincerely considering getting a Logitech G5 (the new one with the extra side button). I know from experience with my Logitech MX518 that you can remap the buttons however you please, so Logitech's software works. If only the sensitivity on the G5 was as good as the Deathadder.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Unregistered 3rd guy
Guest Poster

Quote:
Have exactely the same problem.... did you manage to solve it?
Same here. Key assign doesn't work in Call of Duty 2 Multiplayer with the death adder mouse. Macros don't work.

I had to asign all my shiat to the belkin n52te buttons, which all work fine in all games.

Middle mouse, button 4 and button 5 are not seen by the game. If I use non-game keys like (,) or (.) it still won't work.

COD 2 is 1.3

OS is vista 32 home premium.

Ben from Germany
Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Question Tachyon

I also have the same problem with my Razer Deathadder. Buttons 4 and 5 are not even detected in Call of Duty 4 modern warfare. That clearly rules out even attempting to bind them to anything useful like grenade or special grenade.

In other applications like web browsers etc. buttons 4 and 5 work just fine.

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
MB: Gigabyte X38-DQ6
Mouse driver: HID-compatible ??!? (found in the device manager)
Razer Driver version 1.08 /Firmware version 1.27

Could there be two drivers for the mouse? One of them being the windows standard drivers and the other Raizers drivers. Could it be possible that call of duty (and other games) go looking for the drivers in the wrong place and find the standard windows mouse drivers? I only see the HID-compatible mentioned in the device manager.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #12
Unregistered
Guest Poster

I think the problem with the Death Adder is Vista. I could map buttons 5 and 6 to macros (for World of Warcraft) just fine in XP. When I switched the same mouse, driver, and firmware to Vista, the 5 and 6 button macros no longer trigger. I updated the firmware to 1.27 and that still didn't fix the problem.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

I love my MX-518..but i really feel like buying something new this yr... so it'll be tha DeathAdder!!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

just got it and i have to say..Pure Awesomeness!! i am a Razer guy now! next up, Razer Megalodons!

edit: One question though...My hands get sweaty so will it spoil the Deathadder's skin!!? i hope it doesn't start shedding it!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Last edited by Doomsday; 06-27-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
edit: One question though...My hands get sweaty so will it spoil the Deathadder's skin!!? i hope it doesn't start shedding it!
I can't see it to be honest... Razer likely wouldn't overlook something like that, given their products are to be used by frantic gamers. I wish I could say the same about the mouse I'm using on this PC... the top is discolored either because of sweat or something from rubbing my fingers on it (some generic Gigabyte mouse).

Tags
None