Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default OCZ Equalizer Laser Gaming Mouse

OCZ has been hard at work lately. Their product lineup has evolved from offering power supplies and ram to flash drives, cooling solutions, video cards and even gaming mice. However, one thing’s stayed the same: they’ve targeted themselves towards enthusiasts.

You can read our 400th article here and discuss it here.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
JacKz5o
E.M.I.

Congrats on 400 articles TechGage.

Nice review, but just wondering, Iv seen reviews of this mouse on other tech sites and they say that the triple threat button is a delayed 3 shot and not just 3 really fast clicks? Can you verify that if possible? Thanks
Old 04-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
MakubeX
Partition Master

Looks cool. Does that "Triple Threat" button get in the way? Did you clicking it accidentally much?

I find it kind of useless since I have yet to play a game where I need to click all three buttons in a row. Maybe it wouldn't not be if it had been customizable.

EK Supreme | EK FC-4870X2 block | Enzotech SNBW-SLI | Swiftech MCW30 | DDC-2 w/ XSPC Top | Laing D5 | Thermochill PA120.3 | Weapon Heatercore
MakubeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
Matt Serrano
E.M.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacKz5o View Post
Congrats on 400 articles TechGage.

Nice review, but just wondering, Iv seen reviews of this mouse on other tech sites and they say that the triple threat button is a delayed 3 shot and not just 3 really fast clicks? Can you verify that if possible? Thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by a "delayed 3 shot", but pressing the buttons seems to click about 1/4 a second apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX View Post
Looks cool. Does that "Triple Threat" button get in the way? Did you clicking it accidentally much?

I find it kind of useless since I have yet to play a game where I need to click all three buttons in a row. Maybe it wouldn't not be if it had been customizable.
For what it's worth, it didn't get in the way at all. I rest my index finger at the edge of the primary mouse button naturally, but it could pose a problem depending on what your preferences are. None of the other buttons were in the way either.

I appreciated it when I was in situations in first person shooters (Stalker especially) when firing single shot bursts would have less recoil then holding the button down.

Follow me on Twitter | flickr profile | digg profile | last.fm profile

PC - Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit - E6300 @ 3.2GHz - abit IP35 Dark Raider - ASUS 8800GT
Macbook - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo - 2.5GB RAM - OS X 10.5

What I'm up to..

Matt Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
    NicePants42
    Partition Master

@Jack: 'Delay' is not a word that I would use when describing the Triple Threat Button. It's meant to be used when you need to click as fast as you can, so '3 really fast clicks' is exactly what I'd call it. I find it somewhat useful with pistols in games like CS and FEAR, but I personally don't think it offers any real benefit that can't be had with a little practice. In fast-paced FPS, I don't move my trigger finger from the left-click.

I will also agree that it doesn't get in the way at all, and pressing both the Triple Threat button and the left click at the same time is not an easy mistake to make.

I have a question regarding the blue finish - it appears to be slick like the Logitech MX series, am I correct? One thing I didn't like about the MX series was that the slick finish tended to slip (if your hand sweats). It also accumulated grime, although it was easy to clean. I think A4tech might have an edge with their finish on the X-750BF, since it is slightly more rough/textured. Slipping has yet to be a problem with my X-750BF, and there is no grime either.

I'm not too familiar with the stock button/macro programming options in Windows, but I like that you can assign a button to open up a certain program/menu. For instance, I have the middle click set to open up a small shortcut menu - one shortcut is the X-fi menu, where I frequently change the speaker setup from 5.1 to headphones (since I use an external junction for audio). This feature is something that I don't recall having before (though I may be wrong) and it is easy to set up and change. I can use the middle click to start one of my 10 most frequently used programs via that little pop-up menu, which can help keep the desktop clean of shortcuts. Not a huge deal, but nice.

Last edited by NicePants42; 04-09-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    NicePants42 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
    MakubeX
    Partition Master

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotsoda View Post
    I appreciated it when I was in situations in first person shooters (Stalker especially) when firing single shot bursts would have less recoil then holding the button down.
    Ooohhh, so the triple threat is three left clicks. I thought what it did was simulate clicking Left Click, Right Click and the center Wheel Click in sequence, lol.

Still not very useful, but not as useless.

EK Supreme | EK FC-4870X2 block | Enzotech SNBW-SLI | Swiftech MCW30 | DDC-2 w/ XSPC Top | Laing D5 | Thermochill PA120.3 | Weapon Heatercore
    MakubeX is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
    moon111
    Partition Master

I love adjustable mouse resolution. In some games, you want the fastest setting to nail the other shooter first, but it's too jerky if you're controlling a vehicle or plane. Another thing, set it for extremely fast and it drives my wife crazy. Also, right-handed ergonomics isn't very nice. It wouldn't be hard nor expensive to have 'shells' that would switch it from left to right.
    moon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
    NicePants42
    Partition Master

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moon111 View Post
    I love adjustable mouse resolution. In some games, you want the fastest setting to nail the other shooter first, but it's too jerky if you're controlling a vehicle or plane. Another thing, set it for extremely fast and it drives my wife crazy. Also, right-handed ergonomics isn't very nice. It wouldn't be hard nor expensive to have 'shells' that would switch it from left to right.
    I'd like to see games incorporate multiple sensitivity settings for foot/vehicle/scope. This would save players the hassle of manually adjusting the resolution while being shot at and it would also allow the highest resolutions to be used in all cases.
    Old 10-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
    masu
    Obliviot

Which OS does the OCZ Gaming Driver support?
    Does it also support Vista 32/64Bit?
    masu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
    NicePants42
    Partition Master

Unfortunately I can't yet comment on the Vista issue, but it should work for both XP and XP 64bit.

I'm using the A4tech X750BF, which is the same mouse marketed under a different name, and it's worked flawlessly with both XP versions.

The drivers are fairly simple yet robust, so I would think that Vista wouldn't be a problem.

Tags
    None