Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Mobile & Small Form-Factor Computing

Mobile & Small Form-Factor Computing Discuss notebooks, PDAs, Smartphones, Cell Phones and all other mobile devices here.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Apple to Skip Intel Chipsets in Upcoming MacBook Lineup?

From our front-page news:
When Apple first jumped onto the Intel bandwagon, fans cheered. Making the move to an x86 processor meant great compatibility, and given Intel's most-recent track-record, it also meant getting a much faster product. Well if recent reports are to be believed, then Apple might be considering a shift away from Intel, where chipsets are concerned, and ultimately, who knows.

The report mentions that the upcoming MacBook lineup will skip over using an Intel-based chipset, instead relying on another, although no one knows at this point which. Both VIA and NVIDIA offer mobile chipsets that can support Intel processors, so in all likeliness, it would be one of those. If it does indeed happen at all.

Some might be led to believe that the recent acquisition of P.A. Semi has something to do with this, but given that their products were designed for the low-end and mobile segments, it's virtually impossible that they will be part of this shift. That could very-well change in the future, however. Whether or not this is to happen or not, it likely has Intel a bit frustrated, especially since they've bent over backwards for Apple on numerous occasions in the past.

It appears that a couple factors may be driving Apple's possible departure from Intel chipsets. One is power consumption. Intel's integrated graphics and chipset offerings are overly power hungry according to some analysts. Another factor is unique capability -- Apple may be looking for unique features that Intel cannot provide it.

Source: DailyTech

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
Kougar
Techgage Staff

And what exactly are they going to switch to? VIA's Nano platform? That won't cut it for standard size laptops anymore where users expect full performance.

AMD? Their chips eat more power than Intel's... but on the flipside they offer one of the most powerful IGPs, so I guess that is possible. Slightly.

Never know with Apple, but I do think this is just more wild rumor...
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple , chipset , gpu , igp , intel , macbook , macbook pro , notebook , nvidia