Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Software > General Software

General Software Apple, Linux, Windows, alternative OS and software application chat here.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Internet Explorer 9 to Ship with Anti-Tracking Feature

Internet Explorer 9 is set to bring a lot to the table in terms of new functionality, better Web standards support, faster performance and improved security, and it's Microsoft's hope that it will help put IE back on the map for those who have gone over to the alternatives. One feature just announced might do that, at least for those who care a lot about controlling the content they see.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ars Article
Specifics of the Tracking Protection Lists are not yet finalized. Microsoft has proposed a file format for the lists, and it promises that the final specification will be available under a Creative Commons Attribution license.
A file format that probably won't work in later versions, nor would they explicitly follow... Microsoft and file formats... need i say more.

Also, this just seems like a proactive launch on the FTC announcement about an easy access 'privacy' button. Quite amusing as well, since MS is just creating the button, it's not actually doing anything with it... it'll leave that up to other people. Damn, marketing must of been struggling with something to sell, lol. But hey, who can blame them, Google will probably do the same thing, just create a button and not manage the lists, since both MS and Google make their living on tailored advertising and such.
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

Maybe they're counting on the placebo effect. Simply press the "privacy" button. It doesn't do anything, but they don't know that.
OriginalJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Optix
Basket Chassis

Big, slow and doesn't work fast enough...kind of like a few people around the office.

I'll humor them, have a look at what they can do but ultimately go with someone else who can get the job done...kind of like a few people around the office.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

"i'z iz in da pr0n mode, uz cants C me" wasn't good enough, had to create 'special' button to supposedly 'opt-out' of tracking. Like advertisers are really going to honour a browser setting about privacy... and like Microsoft will let people block their own ads in their own browser. Google on the other hand, don't they know what we eat for breakfast before we do with the amount of info we give them with all the apps people use. If only Facebook made a browser... should call it Facepalm.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

Just implant neural transceivers in people's brains. Access the internet just by thinking about it! Download content to your brain! And then purchase software to stop people from hacking into you.
OriginalJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Optix
Basket Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharic-Nar View Post
If only Facebook made a browser... should call it Facepalm.
Winner!

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
TheCrimsonStar
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
Winner!
oh yes. so much win

Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz
ASUS Sabertooth P67
Corsair XMS 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB)
XFX Radeon HD 6970
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W
Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Windows 7 Professional (x64)
TheCrimsonStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

Unused browser Slogans...

Safari - Taking you for a ride - Excessive use may result in loss of appendages and/or freedoms.
Internet Explorer - It's better than a Navigator - stuck in the past, just like Netscape.
Firefox - Nothing runs faster than a fox on fire - Until it crashes and burns.
Opera - Diverse like an orchestra - Not to everyone's taste - Everyone knows when it's out of tune.
Chrome - Covers a multitude of sins but still looks good* - *requires regular maintenance and a team of personal carers.