Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default An In-Depth Look at Ubuntu 11.04

After months of anticipation, Ubuntu 11.04, codenamed 'Natty Narwhal', has launched in its final form. The big news this time around is that the OS ships with Canonical's 'Unity' desktop environment as default - a large risk on behalf of the company. To see if that risk paid off, let's take an in-depth look to see what Unity's made of.

Read through our in-depth look at Ubuntu 11.04 and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default Search & Run?

Hi,

How do you think Unity compares to KDE's 'Search & Run' environment?

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Optix
Basket Chassis

If you weren't such a merciless taskmaster, I'd probably satisfy my morbid curiosity and give this a shot.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
If you weren't such a merciless taskmaster, I'd probably satisfy my morbid curiosity and give this a shot.
Here here!

System:
Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | WD 2TB Green x 1 | EVGA 660 Ti Superclocked | Corsair H80 Water Cooler
Fractal Design R3 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 1920x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i7 920 @ 3.0 GHz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 1TB Black x 2
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

How do you think Unity compares to KDE's 'Search & Run' environment?

Thanks.
For the most part, both methods are the same. A menu pops up, you search for the application, wait a second for it to show up, and then hit enter to launch. I have found this feature to be more reliable on KDE, though, for one simple reason: keyboard shortcuts work only half of the time in Unity. This is one of the complaints I was going to talk about in next week's article.

The default association is Windows Key + Q and Windows Key + A to launch either the "dash" or the applications menu, and I only found that half of the time anything would launch when using those keyboard shortcuts. And sometimes, nothing would ever come up. In KDE, I've assigned my KMenu to launch with Windows Key + A, and to my knowledge, have never had it simply not launch.

Where searching for files is concerned, that I can't comment on too much. I don't even have an indexer active in my KDE install because I tend to know where everything is at and can get there in a few quick clicks. But where Unity is concerned, I do wish that I was able to launch up the finder (Windows Key + F) and search by file extension (eg: *.png), but I wasn't. I was a bit surprised that 'pictures' worked. For the most part, every other reasonable term I came up with worked as well though, assuming I had documents to match it.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default Speed

Does unity feel faster?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Does unity feel faster?
Compared to GNOME 2.x and KDE 4.x, no, not at all. The performance is acceptable, but the draw rates of the windows, for example, when moving them around the screen, doesn't seem to be as fluid as with other DEs. To be fair, though, part of this could do with the fact that AMD Radeon graphics (and perhaps NVIDIA, I haven't tested), aren't agreeing 100% with Compiz + Unity at the moment. Wobbly Windows, for example, doesn't work well at all, and tends to crash Unity entirely (once again, something else I was going to tackle in next week's article).

Even when logging out of Unity, the transition from desktop to the login screen background is not fluid, telling me that there do exist issues that either Canonical, or the GPU vendors via an updated driver, need to fix. I am confident this poor performance is related to Unity specificially, because on my native Gentoo+KDE install, AMD's drivers accelerate both KDE and Compiz just fine.

Again, NVIDIA's drivers might prove a bit better for Unity, but I wasn't able to test this out, due to sheer inconvenience of messing with my rig (I may test it out before my follow-up article next week). Aside from Compiz, though, games and other GPU-accelerated applications ran for the most part fine, with no noticeable detriment to performance.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default Alternatives.

I have used Ubuntu since the 7.04 version. But I am not sure if Unity is a progress realy.Looks nice but I find some bugs and it just not feels ready yet.I guess it be better in the next version.But for now I would rather recommend Pardus 2011."works out the box" with all mediacodes pre-installed, It also got Firefox 4 and LibreOffice.And I think newcomers to the Linux would feel more comfortable with it to in general.

Here is a swedish review of Unity. I translated it with Google:
http://translate.google.se/translate...ntu%2F&act=url
Old 05-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Rob will kill me for saying this, but sounds a little like another OS I know... 11.04 is the first Ubuntu (perhaps first Linux distro?) to ship with a hardware accelerated desktop. The last OS I know to do that was Vista... *ducks* And it always seems to come back to those GPU drivers doesn't it.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
I have used Ubuntu since the 7.04 version. But I am not sure if Unity is a progress realy.Looks nice but I find some bugs and it just not feels ready yet.I guess it be better in the next version.But for now I would rather recommend Pardus 2011."works out the box" with all mediacodes pre-installed, It also got Firefox 4 and LibreOffice.And I think newcomers to the Linux would feel more comfortable with it to in general.
I will have to give Pardus a go soon :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Rob will kill me for saying this, but sounds a little like another OS I know... 11.04 is the first Ubuntu (perhaps first Linux distro?) to ship with a hardware accelerated desktop. The last OS I know to do that was Vista... *ducks* And it always seems to come back to those GPU drivers doesn't it.
That's exactly why, and no, Ubuntu is not the first distro to have a 3D accelerated environment. KDE 4, which came out in January 2008, would have been the first "official" desktop to ship with built-in 3D features. However, prior to that, anyone could have installed the Compiz package in order to turn their desktop into a 3D environment. Yes, even before Vista hit the market.

If Linux had better GPU drivers, I don't think a lot of the issues that exist graphics-wise would. Windows Vista was able to be released with GPU support right out of the box because both AMD and NVIDIA pour most of their development time into that OS, as they should. On Linux, we're always waiting for better graphics support, although as far as I'm concerned, AMD has been the biggest hold-up. Until maybe a year ago, its Linux drivers were horrible, whereas NVIDIA's has been for the most part rock-stable for eons (there are still minor niggles, but there are for Windows as well).

Old 05-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

Yeah, I think drivers are definitely the major problem with Linux. Fix that, and it would be perfect. Well, maybe not perfect, but close!

After using Windows 7, which is really amazing in some ways, I remember why I like Linux/GNU so much. It's free, unrestricted, and has so many tools. Of course, Microsoft may justify the exclusion of some of these tools with the fact that most people wouldn't use them. I use them though. Why can't Windows 7 mount iso's? Why no checksumming utility, etc?

Raptr

"Man could hold the universe in his palm, if only he could learn to unclench his fist."
OriginalJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

Oh, I forgot an important one: Why doesn't Windows Explorer have tabbed browsing?!

Raptr

"Man could hold the universe in his palm, if only he could learn to unclench his fist."
Old 05-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
RobbyBob
Obliviot

Hey Rob,

Have you had the chance to use Gnome 3.0 yet? If so, how does it compare to Unity? They look relatively similar, and seem to have the same overall goal in mind. I'd also imagine that since Unity is a shell running on top of Gnome 2.x, while Gnome 3.0 is its own environment, that Gnome 3.0 would perform better and be more efficient overall. Is this the case?
RobbyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJoeCool
Microsoft may justify the exclusion of some of these tools with the fact that most people wouldn't use them. I use them though. Why can't Windows 7 mount iso's? Why no checksumming utility, etc? Oh, I forgot an important one: Why doesn't Windows Explorer have tabbed browsing?!
The thing I find interesting is that there exists a -lot- of software on any Windows install that most home users won't even touch, but it's there. And at the same time, like you mentioned, simple but useful features have never been implemented, especially something like a hash-check tool (MD5 or SHA support would be nice). I guess like the NTFS file system, Microsoft just doesn't care about data integrity ;-)

I don't think I'd ever use a tabbed file manager (I haven't in the past), but I could see how it'd be useful, and should be there. Can also agree on the mounting of ISOs, though thankfully a few easy-to-use and free tools exist for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBob View Post
Have you had the chance to use Gnome 3.0 yet? If so, how does it compare to Unity? They look relatively similar, and seem to have the same overall goal in mind. I'd also imagine that since Unity is a shell running on top of Gnome 2.x, while Gnome 3.0 is its own environment, that Gnome 3.0 would perform better and be more efficient overall. Is this the case?
I haven't, but I'd like to soon. For the most part, I do assume that it's quite like Unity, but I have heard that there are subtle differences that might sway you to one or the other. You might be interested in taking a look at this:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osr...-is-Better.htm

Performance-wise, I don't think there would be a huge difference. At the end of the day, GNOME 3 is still a shell that sits atop requires libraries (GTK+). Windows is much the same, with Explorer.exe (close it, and the entire desktop environment goes with it). It's true that GNOME 3 would have an advantage in that GTK+ is built around its inherent environment, but performance-wise, Ubuntu could easily adopt the same base libraries and code its own environment.

This isn't to say that one performs better than the other, however, but that might be a little tough to test. Compiz is the biggest killer of performance, especially when lower-end graphics cards are concerned - or poor drivers. I had experienced rather poor performance on an AMD Radeon HD 5970 with Compiz under Unity, and I suspect drivers have a lot to do with that. I got fed up with that GPU screwing up an older MMO I play, so I plopped an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 in here, and will test Unity again to see if things like Wobbly Windows performs better.

I wouldn't worry too much about performance in general, though. At the end of the day, both environments are rather "bloated" compared to their old counterparts (same with KDE 4 vs. KDE 3, but it still runs great).

Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

If it weren't for gaming, I'd ditch Microsoft entirely I think. I'm trying to get into game programming, and DirectX appears to be the superior choice. I wonder if I could still develop on Linux for Windows? It might be difficult. There's always SDL, but I'm not sure I want to go that route.

I just ordered a few books on game programming, and one on Linux kernel development. Check 'em out here: http://amzn.com/w/3A8TDQNR87X8W. I love this kind of stuff.

I'm sort of hoping I can get into game development. Too bad there's none in New Brunswick. My dream scenario would be me and some of my cohorts doing our own. Failing that, I'd like to go to British Columbia or Quebec (there are booming game industries in both these provinces). This is an idea I have, at any rate.

I haven't tried Gnome 3.0 yet, either. I'm curious, though concerned that they may have sacrificed functionality for this.

Raptr

Tags
None