Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Site HQ > Site and Forum Comments & Issues

Site and Forum Comments & Issues Comments? Suggestions? Out-right flames? Found a bug? Feel free to post about it here!

Old 07-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
Optix
Basket Chassis

I stick by my last post but I'll be a little more blunt this time around. A round up of dated hardware is pointless except to those who want to know just how bad their gear sucks.

I think a comparison of current generation processors would be valid to help people decide between a lower-end model compared to a high-end one if they plan on doing specific tasks like gaming...Oh wait...

Look at what I found!

Old tech is not article worthy unless someone turns it into something or uses it for a purpose other than what it was intended for. Testing something like this would take a huge amount of time and resources.

No spanks.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
Kayden
Techgage Staff

Lets not and say we did!
Koolance PC4-1036BK Liquid Cooled Aluminum Full Tower Case (Upgraded to displace 1320watt of heat) - Koolance 360 ver 1.2 CPU Water Block - PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Fluid - Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel I7 950 - Evga GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 x2 in SLI - Tt SMART M1200W PSU - Kingston HyperX 12GB 1600 XMP - Klipsch 5.1 THX Cert Speakers - Sata II OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, Kingston 120GB SV300, WD 2TB, & 320GB - Seagate 1TB - Cyborg RAT 7 MMO Mouse - Logitech G19 - Logitech G13 Gameboard - 1-over-3 Viewsonic's VA2448M-LED 24-Inch for Nvidia Surround - Ergotech Triple Horizontal LCD Monitor Arm Desk Stand

Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #18
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

What a thread to show up late in!

First and foremost, thanks for all the comments in this thread. When I first looked at the idea, I had groaned at the sheer thought of the undertaking it would require, and apparently I am not alone for once!

12inchsubwoofer: this isn't a bad idea... at all. In fact, I've juggled the idea of doing something similar before. But after taking all of the work it would require into consideration, and the general lack of noticeable interest in such an article (it'd be a niche one, to say the least), I ended up dropping it. There's a point where the ROI is seemingly non-existent, and trust me, it's depressing to put a lot of heart and soul into a piece of content and then it gain literally no traction.

An article like this, to me (and others it would seem) would be more for interest's sake than of actual use for someone. If you're running truly outdated hardware, I don't really think you can expect any of today's games to run that well. It doesn't always simply boil down to the CPU, but also the GPU. If you're running an outdated platform, current GPUs are not an option, and that's a major bottleneck.

That said, even if a game today is only single-threaded, that doesn't mean that an older single-core processor would be able to handle it that well. Major improvements have been made to our processors in the past five or more years, and clock-for-clock, today's processors are orders of magnitude more efficient than Prescott or Barton. That's not even talking about physics which many games take advantage of nowadays (and rarely on the GPU).

I can honestly say that if anyone truly cares about PC gaming, even just a little bit, trying to play it on outdated hardware is just not the way to go. That does lead me to another article idea, however. How cost-effective could we be while building a new PC that can play all of today's games just fine? Can we do it for $500? Can we do it on an Atom or Brazos with a discreet card?

To give ourselves a benchmark to work towards, we could refer to the Steam survey:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Seeing that 1920x1080 is the most popular resolution, we could aim to build the cheapest PC possible that would be able to play games at that resolution. Or instead, or in addition, we could tackle 1680x1050, since that's the next most popular resolution. Interestingly, 1280x1024 and other like resolutions are decreasing in popularity on a month to month basis, which I guess can back up the fact that most people are not too concerned about reading a comparison similar to what you proposed.

Thoughts on doing something like this instead?

Thanks for the suggestion Due to the time and effort some content would require, we can't tackle everything we're asked to do, but we love hearing suggestions nonetheless. There might be some kick-ass and feasible ideas out there we haven't thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
Lets not and say we did!
If only it were that easy ;-)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
DarkStarr
Tech Monkey

I have about $450 worth of parts here doing nothing and they are all good parts. That said, a good 1080p PC can be done fairly cheap. A 5750 can max most games. A quad core of any kind pretty much decimates the CPU requirements and a $50 set of ram owns the ram recommendations. I am fairly sure a pretty nice PC using quality parts wouldn't be much more than $500 possibly cheaper depending on parts and prices.
- Asus Radeon 7970 Ref. (Non Ghz)
Heatkiller 79xx Ni-Bl (Soon) @ 1050/1500
- 64Gb Crucial M4 SSD - 3x Hitachi 1Tb - Corsair TX950W
Azza Genesis 9000B - 2x Samsung SyncMaster S27A550H - Vizio 32" LCD

DarkStarr is offline   Reply With Quote