Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Storage Devices and Memory

Storage Devices and Memory Hard Drives, Optical Drives, Flash and anything memory related can be posted here.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default WD's Subsidiary HGST Announces Helium-filled Hard Drives

The great thing about innovation is that it never has to end. Just when many were beginning to feel that roadblocks would prevent mechanical hard drives from progressing much further, WD's subsidiary HGST has just announced a small breakthrough. One of the biggest detriments to mechanical storage has been the fact that it's air-sealed. That of course offers no support to the platters, increasing drag and causing other maladies that could wear a drive out over time. The solution? Helium.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
madmat
Soup Nazi

If they really want to get the maximum efficiency from the minimal space inside a HDD they should put the drive in a chamber flooded with helium, enclose the drive and pull a vacuum before sealing it off. The vacuum offers even less mechanical resistance and whatever residual gas would be in the drive would be helium so it would still have the same benefit.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
4x2 Gigs Patriot PC2 6400
EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO,
Corsair H100i,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

From what I understand, current drive designs wouldn't allow a vacuum implementation. Some have said that it'd affect the gas that's needed to have the platters rotate smoothly while others have said you might die if you drop it on the ground and it explodes (that'd be cool to see).

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&n....1._ZrNN75tDOs

Helium on the other hand basically compliments current designs a lot more so the implementation is easier.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

Air is required for the heads to float above the platter surface, the high speed spinning creates the layer, preventing the head from crashing into the platter.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
madmat
Soup Nazi

I wonder if you'd still get the boundary layer if it was a soft vacuum rather than a hard vacuum.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Corsair H100i,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

Vacuums can leak, even sealed low pressure 'pockets' will eventually normalise after a year, especial with large temperature changes. With these helium drives, can they maintain the gas inside without loss? Evaporation can occur with only a few nanometers gap in the structure.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -

Last edited by Tharic-Nar; 09-15-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharic-Nar View Post
Vacuums can leak, even sealed low pressure 'pockets' will eventually normalise after a year, especial with large temperature changes. With these helium drives, can they maintain the gas inside without loss? Evaporation can occur with only a few manometers gap in the structure.
I've seen vacuum tubes older than I am that are still going strong. Sealed properly they won't leak.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Corsair H100i,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,