Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default SteelSeries Sensei [RAW] Gaming Mouse Review

SteelSeries unleashed its Sensei in 2011; one year later, the revamped Sensei [RAW] joins its ever-growing gamer-oriented line. Join us as we see whether or not the newest model's "less is more" approach is enough to merit its celebrated predecessor's status as one of the acknowledged masters of the gaming mouse class.

Check out JD's full look at SteelSeries' Sensei [RAW] and discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Last edited by Rob Williams; 09-20-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

As I posted this review, I had wondered if I'd like it as much as my pure Sensei, and well... a delivery man came by today to drop one off. I am not sure how it happened, but I get my wish to compare!

Will chime in with my thoughts once I get some time put into it. The surface of the mouse intrigues me the most.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Big Red Machine
Hellfire and Brimstone

Rob, did you get the rubberized version as well?

You'd have to pry my review sample out of my cold, stiff hands to take mine.
Big Red Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I have the same one, and have been using it since about the time I made that post. Like the original I am loving it quite a bit, no complaints. i do appreciate the texture more, that's for sure. I've had almost no gaming done with it yet, but that'll change come Friday ;-)

Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

I will consider this one when i go shopping for a nice mouse in a week or so!

I have come to a decision, I will NEVER buy a Razer ever again!

1: Lycosa Mirror, 8 months, keys started coming off, had to stick em with glue..
2: Death Adder, 7 months, left button and wheel get screwed up!
3: Megasoma, 4 months, got wear and tear issue.. used their own Mamba on it
4: Mamba, 8 months, wireless lag! 11 months, tracking issues while wired...

Never again Razer! Every person I have met here has had issues with Razer, they turned to Steel Series!
My old Logitech MX 518 I bought in 2007 is still working without any issues! The G35 headsets, almost 3 yrs, no issues!
Will buy the G700, positive reviews and being a logitech its chances of getting screwed are very very slim, got the Steelseries 4HD Mouse Pad to go with it!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

One thing I am starting to not like, now that I put the mouse to the light, is the fact that finger grease or whatever is on the left and right click buttons. The regular Sensei had a problem with finger dirt also but it could be cleaned easier than I suspect this will be.

I think you'll like this one Doomsday, as long as you don't mind the aforementioned problem (I am wondering if JD experienced the same?). But, since Razer's products mostly used the same surface it might feel no different (from what I can recall, at least).

You have seriously had bad luck with Razer man, and the first time I ever hear someone recommending Razer to someone else, I think of your experiences, haha.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
One thing I am starting to not like, now that I put the mouse to the light, is the fact that finger grease or whatever is on the left and right click buttons. The regular Sensei had a problem with finger dirt also but it could be cleaned easier than I suspect this will be.

I think you'll like this one Doomsday, as long as you don't mind the aforementioned problem (I am wondering if JD experienced the same?). But, since Razer's products mostly used the same surface it might feel no different (from what I can recall, at least).

You have seriously had bad luck with Razer man, and the first time I ever hear someone recommending Razer to someone else, I think of your experiences, haha.
I will definitely consider this one when it becomes available.. But I am leaning towards the G700 due to the wireless option, (I loved the Mamba wireless while it worked, lol!) the newer version has a bigger battery with more wireless working hours so its also a good choice..
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

Has it been updated since I last reviewed it then? Battery life was terrible, pretty much the same with all high-end wireless mice You can still use it while on the charger, but the stiff cable really was a handful after a while. I just don't trust wireless peripherals too much - if it's not some kind of interference, the batteries give out (and that rather annoying habit of failing to be recognised on boot). Having said that, one wireless mouse I do like is the M705 - but that's hardly a gaming mouse.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -

Last edited by Tharic-Nar; 09-22-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Optix
Basket Chassis

I've toyed with the idea of going wireless, but for all of the reasons that Jamie mentioned above, there's no way I'm pulling the trigger until battery technology makes a few jumps. Cold fusion powered peripherals...that's the wave of the future, boys!

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Big Red Machine
Hellfire and Brimstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post

Yessiree Robski, I have observed the same. Finger oils do leave a smudge on the left-click button (strangely never the right click). But it's very easily wiped off with a wet-wipe (I always have a box near my PC, as I dislike leaving my keyboard and mouse having oil smudges on them).

And, yep, despite the recent glut of mice I've been testing, the Sensei [RAW] has yet to be displaced as my daily driver mouse. I'm in love with this thing.
  • 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
  • Samsung 830 128GB + 2 x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB (RAID 0)
  • Zotac nVidia GeForce GTX680 (EK FC680 full-coverage block)
  • XSPC RX360 + 6 x AP15 Scythe Gentle Typhoons
  • ASUS Xonar Essence STX
  • Corsair AX750
  • Enermax Fulmo GT
Big Red Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None