Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Motherboards

Motherboards Discussion of motherboards of all form-factors and their chipsets should be discussed about here.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
rodrigo123
Obliviot

Default Motherboard upgrade!!??

hi there, i am new to this board and have a first question:I saw 1 of my friend's newly set up PC and i wanna upgrade mine too. I love to play ego shooters like crysis. I just got new good headphones last month. Now i am just looking for motherboard with good audio quality? worth to pay for the price that will last long even for so much usage of PC? and energy saving? Help please? im torn between asrock and biostar?

or any other idea?
rodrigo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Optix
Basket Chassis

I've never had any luck with ASRock, but I've never used a Biostar board either. It looks like both companies have stepped up its game in order to keep up with the big players, but they still fall short between ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI.

If you can scrounge up the extra dough for one of these three, I think you'll be much happier.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Kougar
Techgage Staff

I'd definitely suggest ASRock over Biostar! The processor depends on your budget range, but you'll be wanting to invest most of the system cost into your GPU if you're a gamer!
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
rodrigo123
Obliviot

Thank you for your input, guys!

may i ask whats better with Asrock? I dont really see their advantage. The big brands seem to have good quality of course but i always feel shabby paying the high price for a brand name. thats why i would prefer to go with the underdogs

Anyway, what GPU would be a good match? I am using my good old AMD A6-5400.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
rodrigo123
Obliviot

I was jus talking to the owner of a computer store nearby and asked him about the choice. He told me both brands would be just fine, but asrock is highly focused on low cost motherboards, although the quality is quite good for the price.

I also found some reviews, but they didnt really help me so much at all

Anyway, there was a Hi Fi A55S3 from biostar on stock, so he recommended me to simply try it. Thats why i am using it right now and first round of crysis was really good with it

Thanks for your help and thoughts, guys!!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
rodrigo123
Obliviot

Can you give any reasons for that opinion?

I am wondering because there are many reviews for asrock but only little for biostar on the web. One that i found was this: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Biostar/Hi-Fi_A85W/

Also there are some Z77 reviews out there, but still, asrock is much more present here. So based on the popularity i would certainly pick an asrock board here, but i could not find out a lot about there audio quality. I understand asrock is a low cost brand from asus, so i am not sure what asus changes to make them less pricey.... anyway, they are heavy focused on overclocking, which is not my priority.

On the other hand i see biostar as separate manufacturer that does not do a lot of marketing at all. So i could imagine they are running as underdog below the radar with a weaker brand (if you can call it like that)

For some reason i will give biostar the chance. The price is comparable and i like their feature set on audio and quality. My sennheiser will teach me if i am right

Refering to the GPU: Do you have any suggestion for a good value for money?
Old 06-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Sorry, rodrigo... you had a couple of replies in the moderation queue. I've verified your account so that won't happen again :S

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Unfortunately, we haven't reviewed any ASRock or BIOSTAR here, but should do so in the near-future. I've heard great things about ASRock though and typically meh things about BIOSTAR (mostly about their short life before problems occur).

So, the thing is... onboard audio isn't stellar, and if you have a good pair of headphones, you should notice the difference. You might want to invest in a small Xonar card (around the $40) range if you do happen to get a mobo and don't love the sound. Typically, onboard audio changes little up until you get into expensive motherboards that feature special chips (like GIGABYTE with its Xfi, or ASUS with its onboard RoG solution).

Sorry again for the moderation issue!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 06-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
BigRoddie
Obliviot

Hey Man! 2 of my colleagues are using this Biostar motherboard but im not sure which type of motherboard they are. so far 1 was saying its pretty cool to use well optimize as they say, audio is really the main focus. I just dont know how really good this kind of motherboard as they are quite new in the market.

Generally you can check out the nearest market so you can see it for yourself and hear their advice from your Motherboard preferences. Funny thing with this Biostar is they are always out of stock from some market, but for you can have it online order if it so,but then again I can say ASrock so far have gone far and it works well on my side.

250-300 bucks! more or less that could be a good price range.
BigRoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
rodrigo123
Obliviot

@ Rob Williams: sounds great. i will also have a look at the xonar sound card. maybe i can add it later if I am not satisfied at all?

Last edited by rodrigo123; 06-30-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: mad mind X)
Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo123 View Post
@ Rob Williams: sounds great. i will also have a look at the xonar sound card. maybe i can add it later if I am not satisfied at all?
Yes of course!

Old 07-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
rodrigo123
Obliviot

i did not get any of the components yet. Due to lack of time the project got stuck at the moment, so there is plenty of time to browse around and compare. Honestly i feel the options are unlimited. Anyway, biostar is the only manufacturer focusing exclusively on audio features. Or does anybody know something comparable?

also, the A55 seems to be quite outdated now. I just found updates to the products websites. now they have even more Hi Fi 3D motherboards with A85 listed....