Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Video Cards and Displays

Video Cards and Displays AMD, NVIDIA graphics card talk, as well as monitor/HDTV discussion.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

Scratch that. I only have 1GB of video RAM.

Raptr

"Man could hold the universe in his palm, if only he could learn to unclench his fist."
OriginalJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
Nope.

I don't have a single icon on my desktop purely to save the video memory. I didn't know that the memory used by your desktop remains in use during gaming when I first started with PC's.
Are you sure this is still the case? I know it used to be back in the day of 98 and possibly XP, but I thought this was an issue that disappeared with Vista and beyond. If it does remain the case, then Aero would also remain in memory, and that'd likely use much more space than a desktop full of icons.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Are you sure this is still the case? I know it used to be back in the day of 98 and possibly XP, but I thought this was an issue that disappeared with Vista and beyond. If it does remain the case, then Aero would also remain in memory, and that'd likely use much more space than a desktop full of icons.
I've never read anything to the contrary. I have heard of gamers that won't run Aero because it eats Vram. They run the basic UI in windows classic mode so it looks like 9X.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #19
Kayden
Techgage Staff

In a word, no. That res is just too high for a such a small display.
Koolance PC4-1036BK Liquid Cooled Aluminum Full Tower Case (Upgraded to displace 1320watt of heat) - Koolance 360 ver 1.2 CPU Water Block - PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Fluid - Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel I7 950 - Evga GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 x2 in SLI - Tt SMART M1200W PSU - Kingston HyperX 12GB 1600 XMP - Klipsch 5.1 THX Cert Speakers - Sata II OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, Kingston 120GB SV300, WD 2TB, & 320GB - Seagate 1TB - Cyborg RAT 7 MMO Mouse - Logitech G19 - Logitech G13 Gameboard - 1-over-3 Viewsonic's VA2448M-LED 24-Inch for Nvidia Surround - Ergotech Triple Horizontal LCD Monitor Arm Desk Stand

Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
I've never read anything to the contrary. I have heard of gamers that won't run Aero because it eats Vram. They run the basic UI in windows classic mode so it looks like 9X.
I think those gamers are making a mountain out of a molehill. GPUs are more efficient than ever, so it's not as though running Aero is going to affect your game's framerate in a noticeable way - especially if you are running the game full-screen. In windowed mode, it'd be understandable that Aero would use a bit more VRAM, but I still don't see it affecting performance noticeably.

Of course, if you're running the lowest-end of the low and with less than 1GB of VRAM, then maybe I can begin to understand it a little bit (but then, the resolution would also matter).

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 06-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
madmat
Soup Nazi

When you run all the eye candy turned up to 11 and the highest resolution you can manage and still want 100+FPS I can see their point.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
Old 06-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #22
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
When you run all the eye candy turned up to 11 and the highest resolution you can manage and still want 100+FPS I can see their point.
I can't. A second or third GPU will help that situation a lot more than disabling something as minor as Aero. If they're THAT fussy about turning things up to 11, they need to haul out their wallet, not just tweak their system in the most minor ways possible.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #23
madmat
Soup Nazi

Next time you play Max Payne 3 go into the settings and start monkeying around with resolution and IQ settings. They give you a metric of the amount of Vram needed for the game to run at your selection.

It's alarming how much memory you really need to keep from dipping into much slower system ram.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Next time you play Max Payne 3 go into the settings and start monkeying around with resolution and IQ settings. They give you a metric of the amount of Vram needed for the game to run at your selection.

It's alarming how much memory you really need to keep from dipping into much slower system ram.
First and foremost, I don't believe that in-game VRAM meter to be accurate at all. At best, it's a guesstimation, just like how a power supply calculator is (as in, where you put in all of your parts and it tells you what PSU you need). It's just unfortunate that Rockstar takes it upon itself to refuse you certain settings (GTA IV was the same way).

The fact is, and yes, I'm going out on a limb and calling this fact, if you need to turn of Aero in order to im prove gaming performance, you seriously need to upgrade your PC. And - if a game performs crappy because you're running it in windowed mode where Aero remains visible, that sounds like a problem with the game, not Aero. I've played many games in windowed mode and have never found that the performance was degraded as a result (if the performance is ever degraded for me it's because I am running a bunch of stuff in the background). GPUs are now very efficient with memory, and are going to prioritize what it has for your gaming. It's almost as though I need to do tests with this, but with Aero disappearing in Windows 8, it seems pointless.

Anyway, to each their own. There's nothing wrong with turning off Aero if that's what you want to do.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
madmat
Soup Nazi

I don't. I just don't keep icons on my desktop. Besides, a clean desktop looks far better IMO.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
I don't. I just don't keep icons on my desktop. Besides, a clean desktop looks far better IMO.
I agree. I keep Computer and Recycle Bin on the desktop and that's it. It does get a bit cluttered when I'm working on content, though ;-)

Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #27
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

I have played a number of games that break Aero, either refuse to load in window mode with Aero, or when you tab out, you see the classic interface (Dungeon Siege III is the latest example). Running a game in window mode though does kill performance, but as a result of Aero? I doubt it.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #28
madmat
Soup Nazi

Aero is a hardware accelerated so it's possible that it steals cycles away from the GPU in windowed mode. I guess a proper test of that being the case would be to run in windowed mode with and without Aero enabled and see if there's any difference.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #29
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharic-Nar View Post
I have played a number of games that break Aero
More often than not, that's done on purpose, and other times, it's because of compatibility issues.

Quote:
Aero is a hardware accelerated so it's possible that it steals cycles away from the GPU in windowed mode. I guess a proper test of that being the case would be to run in windowed mode with and without Aero enabled and see if there's any difference.
Yup, and if Windows 8 wasn't doing away with Aero, I'd be up for testing that out ;-)

A proper test would be doing it with lower-end GPUs, and at the moment I am rather swamped and can't undertake a project like this.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

I'll try it out later with Skyrim and a few others if I can. Though I'll run into multi-GPU issues (for some reason, the second GPU is disabled when a game is in Windowed mode).
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote