Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Video Cards and Displays

Video Cards and Displays AMD, NVIDIA graphics card talk, as well as monitor/HDTV discussion.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
Jen McPherson
Resident Artist Nerd

Unhappy Video Card Help

Ok, my brother just got a new video card for his birthday. Its a Sapphire Radeon 9250, 256 mb, 4x. He keeps getting this error:

"This device cannot find enough free recources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system"

The device that is conflicting with the card is a system device. His MB can support up to a 4x card, and the card is an AGP. Yet the system keeps listing it as a PCI device.

So, any idea as to what the problem could be? Help is greatly appreciated. ^^

Visit my art portfolio: http://astral-deva.deviantart.com/
Jen McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:49 AM   #2
madmat
Soup Nazi

It's an IRQ error. He'll need to physically move a PCI device to another slot in order to free up the IRQ that's conflicting.

Generally the 1st PCI slot and 3rd share the IRQ with the AGP slot but not always.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
4x2 Gigs Patriot PC2 6400
EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO,
Corsair H100i,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 AM   #3
Jen McPherson
Resident Artist Nerd

He moved his sound card to slot two, but he still has the same error. He removed the card and still same problem. His system runs on 2k, but he tried it on xp too with his second hard drive. Same problem. I have no idea how else to fix it, as he's done driver installation. These are some screenies he took.

http://geocities.com/lord_daridon/crap.jpg
http://geocities.com/lord_daridon/yarg.jpg
http://geocities.com/lord_daridon/nothingness.jpg

Last edited by Jen McPherson; 09-23-2006 at 01:45 AM. Reason: pics
Old 09-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
madmat
Soup Nazi

Could be an issue with the card itself, I dunno but removing the card should've stopped it altogether if the system was overloaded on IRQ's. Believe it or not I've actually done that and have had to start removing things in order to use another piece of hardware.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
4x2 Gigs Patriot PC2 6400
EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO,
Corsair H100i,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
Tech-Daddy
Tech Monkey

Download the most recient driver from ATI and have it at the ready, saved locally on that hard drive.

Go into device manager and remove any video adaptors that are listed, and take note of any device listed that is not the intended card.

Shut down.

remove all periphreal cards and disable all of the onboard accessories from the BIOS except for the IDE stuff. Turn off the serial/parallel ports, turn off any onboard audio, turn off any on board video, turn off any NIC's.

Have that graphics card installed by itself, boot up the machine. If you *still* have the error, I'd say it is a bum card. Take it back to the place it was purchased, and if possible, have it put into another computer and see if it works or generates the same problem.

If it works in your machine after disabling everything, add in the sound card, being sure to put it in a non-conflicting PCI slot per the above note.

If that comes up, then try to note the IRQ assignments of the now working devices, and enable your onboard accessories in the BIOS... being sure that they are not set to any conflicting value as the existing sound and video card.

Also, if you have onboard sound or onboard video, and are using seperate cards now... make sure that these devices are disabled in the BIOS as you dont need 2 devices trying for hte same thing if only one will be used...

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
Jen McPherson
Resident Artist Nerd

Got it working now, thank you all for your help! ^^

Old 09-25-2006, 12:25 AM   #7
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Ahh, great to hear!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote