Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Mobile & Small Form-Factor Computing

Mobile & Small Form-Factor Computing Discuss notebooks, PDAs, Smartphones, Cell Phones and all other mobile devices here.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Apple's Biggest Reason to Sue Android Vendors: Marketshare

It's no secret that Apple has no qualms when it comes to suing its competitors, sometimes over simple or nonsensical patents that shouldn't have ever been granted in the first place, but what's the reason? The company currently has more money in its bank account than any other, so what does the company fear, exactly? If not for money, could it be for marketshare? Bingo - according to an editorial at ReadWriteWeb.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
MacMan
Partition Master

Here's a bigger number: 75%

That's the percentage of the profit that Apple takes out of the entire mobile market, including both dumb and smart phones! This means that all other mobile companies combined, including Android, BlackBerry, Symbian, Windows, etc., only have 25% between them! I thought that I would point that out, because if I didn't, Techgage would certainly never have reported it.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...nits_sold.html

PS: Regarding those silly Apple patents, you know, the ones which should never have been granted in the first place, well expert patent experts, such as Christopher Carani, apparently think a lot differently than you:

http://www.informationweek.com/hardw...0005331?pgno=1
Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Here's a bigger number: 75%

That's the percentage of the profit that Apple takes out of the entire mobile market, including both dumb and smart phones! This means that all other mobile companies combined, including Android, BlackBerry, Symbian, Windows, etc., only have 25% between them! I thought that I would point that out, because if I didn't, Techgage would certainly never have reported it.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...nits_sold.html

PS: Regarding those silly Apple patents, you know, the ones which should never have been granted in the first place, well expert patent experts, such as Christopher Carani, apparently think a lot differently than you:

http://www.informationweek.com/hardw...0005331?pgno=1
Wow. He said that profit wasn't it because they already make the most money. The amount isn't the issue after saying they had the most.

As to the patents, he's right. There is plenty of prior art that the iStuff looks like. Science fiction has had touch pad devices in the hands of characters for ages. Same goes for flip open communicators.

Heck, even Google Glass has existed in science fiction for decades.

FWIW, many of our inventions are products of science fiction being turned into science fact. Lasers, holograms, 3D glasses-free displays, pads, flip phones, hovercraft... I could go on for days.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
MacMan
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
Wow. He said that profit wasn't it because they already make the most money. The amount isn't the issue after saying they had the most.

As to the patents, he's right. There is plenty of prior art that the iStuff looks like. Science fiction has had touch pad devices in the hands of characters for ages. Same goes for flip open communicators.

Heck, even Google Glass has existed in science fiction for decades.

FWIW, many of our inventions are products of science fiction being turned into science fact. Lasers, holograms, 3D glasses-free displays, pads, flip phones, hovercraft... I could go on for days.
"He said that profit wasn't it because they already make the most money. The amount isn't the issue after saying they had the most.",

Admitting that Apple is the most valuable tech company, with the most money, doesn't turn this post from being a negative post about Apple into a positive one. Do you care to list ten measly posts that Techgage has done that were positive about Apple? I thought so. No, negative posts that try to paint Apple don't count, even if they admit a few things that might be good, or true.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
"He said that profit wasn't it because they already make the most money. The amount isn't the issue after saying they had the most.",

Admitting that Apple is the most valuable tech company, with the most money, doesn't turn this post from being a negative post about Apple into a positive one. Do you care to list ten measly posts that Techgage has done that were positive about Apple? I thought so. No, negative posts that try to paint Apple don't count, even if they admit a few things that might be good, or true.
Care to list ten positive things about Apple period? Things that don't have to do with profit or fanatic Apple followers...

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
From the first paragraph: "The company currently has more money in its bank account than any other, so what does the company fear, exactly?"

Whenever you see an Apple post on our site, it seems you get so hopped-up on wanting to defend them that you can't even be bothered to read the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
Admitting that Apple is the most valuable tech company, with the most money, doesn't turn this post from being a negative post about Apple into a positive one.
Because it is a negative post about Apple. You have such a major infatutation for the company that you can't even fathom anything bad ever being said about them, even when it's fact! Amazing. Instead, you have to do whatever it takes to turn things around... even if it means coming up with unrelated bullet-points (which seems to be your MO lately). You make it sound as if we report it in such a way that we try to pass it off as meaning Apple has no advantages in the market. This article focused on marketshare only.

No, it's not like I ever give Apple credit where it's due when it comes to things like this.

Oh, and another point you likely skipped right on over: "Of course, these numbers don't tackle quality in any possible way. While Apple's iPhone comes in essentially one flavor - and a high-end one at that - Android of course will end up selling a lot given it's covering many other price-points."

If we post anything that's less-than-ideal for Apple, you're here defending them. If we post anything good about Apple, you're here praising them. If we post something completely devoid of Apple, you're here making sure we know about them.

I am sure your request for pro-Apple news was rhetorical, but here's a couple:

http://techgage.com/news/boycotting_...nt_stop_there/
http://techgage.com/news/apple_relea...etina_display/
http://techgage.com/news/apple_to_pa...rth_of_shares/
http://techgage.com/news/apple_launches_the_new_ipad/

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
Care to list ten positive things about Apple period? Things that don't have to do with profit or fanatic Apple followers...
I started to list out things but got to 6 and lost interest. After deleting, I don't have it in me to rewrite it all.

1. The MacBook Air has got to be what God himself uses. It's an amazing device.

There is one and its 100% subjective.

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote