Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #16
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

Default You Caught Me! You Caught The "Tater!"

As an aside, the Taterworks name originated before I had learned of Ron "Tater Salad" White.

It's my opinion that in this price range, these speakers are probably about the best you can do, and so they deserve the TechGage GeeWhizBang! award (or whatever it is) for being best in their price class. IMO, they even outdo the Logitech competitors with Tweaks A-Plenty(tm) and great bass.

Rory Buszka

Last edited by Rory Buszka; 11-29-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Rory Buszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #17
Buck-O
Coastermaker

Welcome to the forums Tater!

That was a good write up. Im glad you took the trouble and the time to go in depth with that.

A couple of time ive done teh same thing, and it was a bit to advanced for most. Going over there heads like a U2 towing a sign banner.
But that was well worded and gave enough information to explain it without going overboard (a problem i often have).

I think your presence in the board will be well recieved, and welcomed.

Thanks for signing up, and i look forward to carrying on conversations with you in future.
Buck-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #18
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Talking Recent Purchase

As previously stated in the thread, the base is the bass. For such a compact subwoofer there's more than enough bass for most everyone would be my guess. Unfortunately, the spec's drop off drastically below 32 and abpve 20K Hz (~1/10th the power of the mid range assuming it to be flat). Besides the hi-range tweeters leave a lot to be desired - they are tightly focused lacking broad dispersion and distort. Sound a lot like an over driven headset ear piece. But for $80 at Best Buy in Virginia Beach - who can really complain. I can't wait to try another pair of tweeters and mids. Out of the box with the volume cranked, this unit definitely sounds better than many 2.1 systems, especially costing under $30.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #19
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Hi All,

I read the review of Altec Lansing FX4021 By Mr. Rob William. It was a good review; detailed and thorough. I got some Questions though

1. Why didn't Altec Lansing just embedded the Loud and SFX feature in speakers already? (if, by pressing them makes hell of a difference?)
2. As FX6021 Satellites are not magnetically shielded and those who use CRT monitor would be affected (though most of them won't be). "FOR A GAMER" what u will prefer FX4021 or FX6021?

Please i'll be looking forward for the answers. ThankU!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #20
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

Hi, man.

The reason that features like 'Loud' (loudness) and 'SFX' aren't typically integrated in a speaker's processing (always active), and are only offered as options, is that the effects they create can sound unnatural with some recordings, and it may be desirable at times to hear the 'normal' sound of the speakers themselves without this processing. SFX exaggerates the phase cues in the music that create a sense of 'spaciousness', but when listening to program material that was already recorded in a reverberant, spacious room, the effect can begin to sound very weird. Loudness boosts up the bass and treble frequencies so that at low listening levels, the sound still sounds rich and full, but this can sound weird on recordings of acoustic and orchestral music. In short, the 'Loud' and 'SFX' processing may not appeal to everyone's taste, so that's why they're only offered as 'options'.

In the case of the FX6021 satellite speakers, they actually _are_ magnetically-shielded. I've got a set in another room where the satellite speakers are right up next to the frame of the CRT monitor on the PC in that room. So there are no concerns with magnetic interference from the FX6021 speakers. The subwoofer, however, isn't magnetically shielded (this is typical), so avoid placing it too close to your PC tower or your monitor.

Rory Buszka
Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #21
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterworks View Post
Hi, man.

In the case of the FX6021 satellite speakers, they actually _are_ magnetically-shielded. I've got a set in another room where the satellite speakers are right up next to the frame of the CRT monitor on the PC in that room. So there are no concerns with magnetic interference from the FX6021 speakers. The subwoofer, however, isn't magnetically shielded (this is typical), so avoid placing it too close to your PC tower or your monitor.
Thanx for the reply and time to make me understand. So, as i have asked already (only to which u didnt answer ) 'For a Gamer' what wud u prefer?

1. FX4021
2. FX6021

Thanx!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:43 PM   #22
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

For a gamer, if you've got the money to spend on the FX6021 system, it will be a step up from the FX4021. That said, the FX4021 is a nice sounding system at moderate volumes. The FX6021 is just a much louder system; that is, it's more 'crankable'. If I had to use my incredible powers of ESP, I think you'd be happier with the FX6021. Or, if you want them in black, go for a set of the PT6021 speakers, which are essentially the same thing but with mounting brackets and a better remote.

Rory Buszka
Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #23
Unregistered
Guest Poster

No, the PT6021 wud be too much for me i guess and i dont have the money to buy the FX6021 either so i guess it just left with me to buy the FX4021. U said that its a nice system for moderate levels of noise. That is exactly what i want, Should i go for it then?

PS
I dont think i could find PT6021 anyway in Pakistan. Can i?

ThankU for the time and help. It was helpful. Thanx Alot.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #24
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

Go with the FX4021. It is indeed a decent system for moderate-volume listening.

Rory Buszka
Old 12-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #25
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default Speakers decision

Hello,

If someone would be able to help me that would be great. I am having trouble deciding between a few speakers. First off the Altec Lansing FX4021 (180AUD), Logitech Z-2300 (Around 180AUD) too. I really like how the altec lansings look but if it does not perform as well as the z-2300 i will purchase the latter. Also if you have any other speaker recommendations that are around maximum that are not too expensive that would be great.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #26
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

The Z-2300 are 'more' speaker for your money. Go with them for now - they'll perform somewhat better (in terms of clean output) thanks to their 8" subwoofer. However, I think the FX4021 speakers have marginally 'better' (smoother, less 'boomy') bass than the Z-2300.

In your situation, I'd have to give the nod to the Z-2300.

Rory Buszka
Old 12-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #27
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Thanks for the fast reply taterworks, price is not really the issue here. I am upgrading from stock speakers and I would like to have better sound rather than a bargain. This being said would you recommend the FX4021 over the z-2300?

Also I'll mainly be using the speakers for music(trance+hip-hop) and movies(rips)
Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #28
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

If price isn't really an issue, maybe you could considering bumping up to an even better set of speakers. I can't really speak since I'm no audiophile, but at that price range, there might be far superior speakers for not that much more money.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #29
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Yeh i was also looking at harmon kardon soundsticks, bose companion 3, Klipsch. But I have never been able to hear any of them, I do however have a friend who has a set of these FX4021 and says they have awesome sound. I just wanted to get some extra feedback.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #30
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Finally! A place where I can get in an informed opinion on a new set of speakers...

I recently blew out my old ones (they were old, they were bought used, and I used them A LOT). So I delved into the internet search engines to try and come up with a good replacement set. After what seemed like hours and hours of wandering, I finally narrowed it down to three sets: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1; Logitech z-2300; and these Altec Lansing FX4021s, which I happened upon last.

I think I've pretty much disregarded the Klipsch set, both because of the price and the problems reportedly associated with them, most notably the low humming/buzzing sound when there's no audio running through them. Could be a shielding problem, but then I read that the on/off switch was behind the bass, and I don't feel like crawling under my desk as I did with my old set.

I love the idea of the control remote, and since I hadn't yet seen the FX4021s, the z-2300s jumped into the lead. I read a great deal of 'excellent' reviews at different PC mags/retail sites, but with all the company shills, I'm less inclined to take them at their word. Still, besides the 'lacking mid-range' issue (which many reported was easily fixed w/ equalizers found standard on standard music playback software), they seemed to be the best of the bunch for my needs.

Then I came across these, and now I'm stuck between the two. The auxiliary input jack plus the extra wireless remote make up for the lack of reviews I found for the Altec Lansings. I know the Logitechs have more power, which is a comforting thought, but I live in an apartment complex and plan to keep my 'good neighbor' record, so I don't need my speakers to blow out my walls (but I also like having the option to ;P). On the occasions that do call for engulfing sound however, I don't want to worry about horrible distortions. I play the occasional fps, RTS, and MMO games, but it's mainly my eclectic collection of music (which includes practically everything but country, hip-hop, and rap) that would flow through my speakers. Great sounding movies would be a plus also.

So basically, which one do you friendly forum users believe I would benefit from most, since I am looking more for a good sounding set as opposed to a powerful one (though it would be nice if the two weren't mutually exclusive)?

Thank in advance,
Rae

Tags
None