Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #31
keyboardmessiah
Guest Poster

Default help with choosing a 2.1 speaker system

hey guys,

so I got a Macbook Laptop and wanted to know which 2.1 speaker system would probably work the best with it, or generally for around $100-130, which 2.1 speaker system would be the best? I am learning more and more about sound, but am inexperienced in this realm and need so me help....

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #32
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

Hey, keyboardmessiah,

That's a better topic for a new thread in our Audio forum, since it could bring many other products into the discussion, and we'd like to keep these article discussion threads focused on discussion of the product that was reviewed for the article. However, you've got a great question, that I think deserves some real thought and meaningful discussion. Take a moment and register a forum account, and post your question in a new thread in the 'Audio' forum.

Cheers!

Rory Buszka
Rory Buszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #33
eggz2004
Obliviot

Default what about the Sound Field Xpander Technology™?

Hey guys.
I would like to know if these speakers do a good job on the "sourround sound".
The thing is i want a system that could emulate virtualy the sourround sound like in the 5.1 systems, so i read that Altec Lansing FX4021 has this Sound Field Xpander Technology™...
Does it really do the job??
Thanks in advance

Sorry for my bad english.
Greetings from Portugal!
eggz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #34
Unregistered
Guest Poster

hey everyone. i'm about to purchase the fx4021 but have one question which i can't seem to find the answer. when i purchase them, will i be getting the cable needed to connect it from my laptop to the speakers? my laptop only has one audio-out jack which is where i plug in my headphones. this is the plug i need to use right and the cable i need to connect the comp. and speakers is included???

thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #35
madmat
Soup Nazi

Yes, that's where you'll connect the speakers. They have a 3.5mm stereo plug.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
4x2 Gigs Patriot PC2 6400
EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO,
Corsair H100i,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #36
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default Just Awesome

Hello all,

I just replaced my aging Boston Acoustics MicroMedia 2.1 system with the Altec Lansing FX4021. The Boston's were good, I thought, boy was I wrong. This Altec Lansing FX4021 just rocks. They vibrate the whole house. Considerably louder than the Boston. I got a good deal too. $105 delivered to the house from bpav.com. I handed down the Boston to the kids, so everybody wins.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #37
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Hi,

I'm in dire need of a 2.1 system to my TV. I had pretty much decided on the FX4021 but then I saw that the Altec Lansing FX5021 costs about the same. And now I'm having a real hard time to decide which to get. :P

So if you had to pick one of them, which would it be?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #38
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

I'd pick the MX5021 system, if they were still available. These speakers were THX-certified, and sounded quite good. However, Altec Lansing hasn't made these speakers for a year or two now, so unless you can find a set on eBay, you might not meet with success.

Also, to the previous poster -- the bass is the strong point of these speakers, surprisingly clean and deep for a system at this price point. I'm glad you're satisfied.

Rory Buszka
Rory Buszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #39
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Buszka View Post
I'd pick the MX5021 system, if they were still available. These speakers were THX-certified, and sounded quite good. However, Altec Lansing hasn't made these speakers for a year or two now, so unless you can find a set on eBay, you might not meet with success.
Thanks for your advice.
Getting a hold of a pair won't be so hard. I live in Sweden and there is quite a few online stores that still have them in stock.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #40
MaoDi
Guest Poster

Default what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

I'm in dire need of a 2.1 system to my TV. I had pretty much decided on the FX4021 but then I saw that the Altec Lansing FX5021 costs about the same. And now I'm having a real hard time to decide which to get. :P

So if you had to pick one of them, which would it be?
sorry but, did you mean the mx5021? if you did, than definitely the mx5021 if you can get it around the same price. But the Fx4021 is definitely a AMAZING speaker system. just that the Mx5021 is better, and used to be A LOT more expensive than the retail of the current fx4021.

Tags
None