Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Software > General Software

General Software Apple, Linux, Windows, alternative OS and software application chat here.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:51 PM   #1
Sledgehammer70
Obliviot

Default XP or Vista

I know I will be jumping to Vista as it is the latest and greatest. bBut probably not on my main rig, As most gamnes wont be compatable with Vista as far as I know. Anyone else have this concern?

Sledgehammer70

www.bfmetournaments.com
www.mandmcr.com
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
werty316
Partition Master

I'll try to get my hands on the Ultimate version or whatever the pro/best version is if they make a corporate edition of them. If no performance gain is made with games then I probably won't use it.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
madmat
Soup Nazi

If the DRM stuff is as bad as some of the doom and gloom sites suggest I'll avoid it until I absolutely have to change.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

I am somewhat concerned with the compatabilitie issues when Vista drops. Same thing that happeneds with XP when it launched and all the damned "XP Certified" stickers that you had to look for on products to know for sure if they would work properly with XP. It will take time, as always, to get everything to play nice but when it does, I look forward to giving it a spin.

That or I will just wait untill I can get it from the Campus bookstore....

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I can't wait for Vista.. it will be great. Dual boot for the win.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:45 AM   #6
BLuKnight
Obliviot

I'll admit, Vista has got a nice look to it. If it's everything MS says it is, it'll be worth looking at. As for buying it... I'm going to have to hold out on that. As I did with Windows XP, I waited until after SP1 before getting it. It's always good to let new software settle in before adopting it.
BLuKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
spiffyp
Obliviot

I've been running some of the RC's on & off.
They seem to be fairly stable.
The only real problem I've had so far is finding working drivers for some hardware.
That, I'm sure, will clear up as the release date gets closer.

I haven't had any major problems running any games yet either.
spiffyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

There hasn't been any real issues with gaming with Vista for like two years. I had games work smooth as heck when it was still called Longhorn.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
spiffyp
Obliviot

I know, same here.
But I was replying to Sledgehammer70's original post.

Quote:
As most gamnes wont be compatable with Vista as far as I know.
spiffyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
BlindMonk
Coastermaker

I'll hold out with XP for as long as is feasible. When the eventual transition demands to be fulfilled, I'll probably end up looking for Vista alternatives based on what the gaming terrain is like at the time.
BlindMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 05:44 PM   #11
CoolZone
E.M.I.

vista of course but you gotta buy a lot of new hardware
CoolZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
MacMan
Partition Master

Default XP or Vista?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
I know I will be jumping to Vista as it is the latest and greatest. bBut probably not on my main rig, As most gamnes wont be compatable with Vista as far as I know. Anyone else have this concern?

The real question should be: Linux or OSX. However, if I was forced to use Windows I definitely would prefer XP. Better the flaws that you know then the ones you don't.

Yes, Vista is pretty. But sadly, its also pretty slow, buggy, and demands too much of a premium in hardware.

Most of the work, according to Steve Ballmer, on Vista was done in the past two years. Hmmm.... isn't that when Apple introduced OSX Tiger?

For further proof all you had to do was read the Microsoft emails regarding the OSX Tiger copy that they obtained two years ago. How embarassing for them. They were all over Tiger. I could tell you more, but, on the other hand, I have a weak stomach.

The truth is that Vista is nothing more than a desperate attempt on Microsoft's part to bamboozle people into thinking they could produce an OS as good as OSX or Linux. The only sucess that they had was in copying the pretty interface from OSX. Even Beryl and XGl copies them, but at least, the Linux community adds some innovation and new twists.

Microsoft Software Corporation should be renamed the: Microsoft Copying Corporation. Sadly, they not only copy others, but when they do, they produce inferior copies. Name one innovation that Microsoft produce and I probbaly could point you to the source that they copied it from.

Did you know, for instance, that the early builds of Vista had the exact same OSX icons. I mean the SAME! One editor of a Mac blog took the time to compare them under the microscope, as it were, and found that they were indeed identical.... I mean identical except they were reversed! Same pixel count... you name it.

Maybe some day Vista will be better than XP, but I am not going to hold my breath waiting.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote