Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Site HQ > Site and Forum Comments & Issues

Site and Forum Comments & Issues Comments? Suggestions? Out-right flames? Found a bug? Feel free to post about it here!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #16
linnerd40
Obliviot

Put in my submission yesterday
Great contest idea! I knew I had to write about my first system... where just about everything went wrong But, with the help of some more skilled friends, I got through the issues, and the components of it still live on, scattered around in other computers I have built Still, it was just one of the those purchases that just really sucked!
Good luck to everyone!
linnerd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #17
slugbug
Partition Master

Submitted my second entry last night.
slugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #18
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Thanks guys, this contest it turning out to be a good one :-D

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #19
aeromaestro
Obliviot

It sure is!

By the way I wrote about my headset being a POS --- Well UPS is bringing the Replacement today, so we'll see how long that lasts! Maybe I'll start a collection of broken AHS-515s! HAHA
aeromaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #20
NicePants42
Partition Master

aeromaestro, if you have broken AHS-515's to spare, tape one up and send it to Rob so he can get an X-fi.

I'd also like to thank you (in public) for your story. I saw your review at an online store and as a result did not buy those cans. I am thankful for people who are willing to spend time relating their experiences to other consumers, and I am thankful for sites that allow customer reviews.

Heh, I'm glad to see that the reviews of the Kama-Meter on Newegg are getting to the point.
NicePants42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #21
brajko2
Obliviot

Well I've posted my first entry... and experience with my Presc(h)ott processor.
Rob: I wanted to ask you just one thing. Since I work in IT department, about two weeks ago I had an 'interesting' phone conversation with one tech-support centre. So my won't be called "A Product That Sucked". It would be called "tech support person that sucked" :-)
Ok to post that?
brajko2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #22
Tech-Daddy
Tech Monkey

Well... my experience is with a company with a multitude of products... I could not cram in all of my tech stuff in 500 words of less!

But I realized that the common thread was the "company" that I was buying from... so, that is my first entry!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #23
BlindMonk
Coastermaker

Fry's? Really? The only bad experience I had with a product they carried was the story I submitted for this contest. Beyond that solitary example, they've saved me thousands of dollars over the last eight years of computer and tech-related purchases and nothing else has outright failed (and that can't be blamed on the retailer if it did anyway, wtf?). And even when things weren't quite right the return/rebate/checkout processes all were rock solid and have been so for nigh on a decade. No other franchise of its kind has managed to compete against Fry pricing or availability, especially considering the beastly size of the thing.

Will grant one thing, though; I tend to research ahead of time what I'll be getting so I hardly ever talk with employees beyond the point of sale, so I can't say anything to the topic of shady advice.

E6300 | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | 2GB OCZ PC2-6400 | BLT | ASUS 4850 512MB
Antec 550 TrueControl | Tater tots | Gateway FHD2400 | Chipotle
BlindMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #24
Tech-Daddy
Tech Monkey

My last mobo return that I went through, I overheard the clerk talking to the manager stating that this was the second time the exact motherboard had come in (I am assuming because they capture the serial numbers upon sale), and the manager asked, "Well... what was noted on the previous return?" The clerk made a few statements and the manager asked, "Did they test it?" Clerk stated, "Apparently not." So... from that questionable exchange, my motherboard had already been returned, the complaint had been logged regarding it's performance, and it was returned to the floor stock as an "open box" return item to be discounted.

*blink* *blink*

I'll fully support your assertion that, "if you do your research, Fry's cannot be beaten". It is sometimes hard to beat them online with some of their Fryday ad specials. But you *must* know what you are going in there for. And for that purpose, Fry's has a special place in my heart for having almost everything I have been looking for.

Been buying from them for years, and will continue to buy from them. But that is not to say that I have not lost hair over my dealings with them. No way.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #25
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Thanks to everyone who entered. The winner will be revealed in the coming days.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #26
PapaMambo
Obliviot

Default That was fun!

Well, this was a fun contest.. I kind of wish we had a little more space to rant and rave (I'm famous for that!) Oh well..

After I submitted my second post for the contest, I realized I could have submitted my latest fiasco in computer assembly.. My video card just had to be replaced - but before I was able to isolate it, I ended up replacing my power supply, and I almost ended up replacing my motherboard. To top it all off, when I finally DID figure out that it was my video card, I had the frustration of trying to find a decent card to replace my venerable old 9800pro.. AGP cards are difficult to come by in this day and age - at least for a decent price. Surfing the forums close to home, I spoke with no less that 4 different people who had comparable cards (performance wise) to my 9800, but not one of them could cough it up when I produced the money. When it came down to it, I was able to finally pick up a 7600 GS at a local computer shop used..

I had a hard time justifying dropping money on a system that is essentially 4 years old - especially considering I had plans to upgrade in the summer.. Oh well - at least the kids will have a decent gaming rig for the games that they play.

Here's hoping we all have less of these types of stories to tell in the future. While they make for great reading, they can sure be a drain on our collective sanities. Good luck to everyone who entered!

"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that a professional soldier has to fear; it's all those that are addressed 'To Whom It May Concern'"
PapaMambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #27
Tech-Daddy
Tech Monkey

Thumbs up repeatedly clubs himself in the head...

I guess the pain was so great that I blocked it out. I knew it was there, I could feel it like a splinter in my mind...

"What is it? What one, single tech product has caused me the most pain?"

Then it hit me 10 minutes too late to submit....

IBM "Deathstar" hard drives. the 75GXP (more so) and the 60GXP.

Absolutely the *worst* tech experience in my IT career.

I had just started working for a company, and the Sys Admin was snatching those drives up! I saw his orders and I immediately therew up a flag warning him and our boss that these drives are starting to cause problems. "Probably because they are selling so well..."

"No... there is a real problem. I would not buy any more if I was you. "

They continued to buy them, and then a few months later... down came the house of cards. My worst nightmare came true. Every, last drive.... every single one.... failed over the span of 2 months. I had a stack of about 20 hard drives on my desk... EVERY one of the drives was a IBM Deathstar. They found a few more a few months after I left. Oh what havoc they created, and THANK GOD for a good backup strategy (for the critical ones at least).

They recognized my hardware prowess after that debacle!

*smacks head*
Old 04-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #28
Gvidix
Obliviot

Thanks everyone, especially Techgage for such a great Birthday party! It was really great to share the experience what turn out to be very ludicrous! I enjoyed it! Good luck to everyone and lets wait for the results!
Gvidix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #29
moon111
Partition Master

These have been good contests. Now I'm a little disappointed because I wanted to keep on wanting to read new submissions.
moon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #30
werty316
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-Daddy View Post
Then it hit me 10 minutes too late to submit....

IBM "Deathstar" hard drives. the 75GXP (more so) and the 60GXP.

Absolutely the *worst* tech experience in my IT career.
I used to own one of those 75GXP Deathstar HDs but I felt my WD story sucked more.

Good luck everyone