Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Software > General Software

General Software Apple, Linux, Windows, alternative OS and software application chat here.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Will Nave
E.M.I.

Location: [cornfield][beanfield][ME][Illinois River][cornfield][beanfield]
Default Wireless Networking and how not to get hacked

Wireless networks are risky business when it comes to security. With the new influx of "internet cafe's" and campus WiFi access points sprouting up all over people have begun to impliment wireless networks in their homes as well. Current wireless routers are pretty much dummy proof when it comes to getting them up and running and having wireless connectivity. Sadly, no security measures are implimented on wireless routers by default and A LOT of people using wireless networking in their homes do not realize this. Don't believe me? Laptop + wireless network card + apartment complex = free internet. I'm by no means saying steal someone's internet, but I have yet to open my girlfriend's laptop in my apartment, or her old apartment, and not have a wireless connection active.(even before getting my new wireless router)

One of the simplest things you can do to protect your network is turn on 128bit WEP. WEP (Wireless Equivalent Privacy) encrypts data that is being exchanged via your router and PC's on your wireless network. By enabling WEP your security is increase tenfold and usually detours most wardrivers or snoopy neighbors from trying to use your internet connection or break into your PC.
Will Nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:12 AM   #2
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

WEP is still quite simple to crack but better than nothing. Tom's has a good article on the venerability of WEP. Either way, WEP is a great idea for anyone with a wireless access point and its easy to setup.

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
Will Nave
E.M.I.

Location: [cornfield][beanfield][ME][Illinois River][cornfield][beanfield]

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree... the fact that WEP is not enabled by default on pretty much all routers and such sold retail is a big risk though. I personally have yet to open up a wireless capable laptop in an apartment complex and not been able to get into at least one wireless network without doing ANY decryption. Like you said, WEP is better than nothing, though all of the current security standards for wireless technology that are implimentable by the non-techjunky are less than satisfactory...
Will Nave is offline   Reply With Quote