Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Software > General Software

General Software Apple, Linux, Windows, alternative OS and software application chat here.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Favorite Linux Distro?

My ultimate favorite Linux distro for a while has been SuSE.. 9.0 specifically. It's a great looking distro, with a lot of great features. It's definately the distro to go for if you have never used Linux before, but are interested in doing so.

SuSE is now owned by Novell now though, and it looks like you can only buy the OS, instead of just downloading it. Think I may end up buying a copy of the newer version though.. I have an evaluation copy, and it seems pretty sweet.

So, any other *nix users here?

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:16 AM   #2
Mike Delorme
Obliviot

Well, Rob, the only "*nix" OS I have used was RedHat 9.x. I felt it was a pain in the ass to install. It might have been me or the box that I was using.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
leecho7
Partition Master

I've been using Windows XP for years now, but a bunch of my buddies told me Linux is better. Is it worth the switch? Cause all I do is listen to music, write up papers and play video games on my comp (all at the same time! Booyah!)
The way we saluting flags, wrapping them around our heads when ni**az ain't become American till 9/11 //Feeling like you gotta sneak into heaven//When the reverend looking like a pimp and the pimp look like the reverend...
People let me paint a picture You know I ain't a christian I ain't a muslim, ain't a jew I'm losing my religion I speak to god directly...
~Around my Way - Talib Kweli

You go to church to find you some religion//And all you hear is connivin' and gossip and contradiction and//You try to vote and participate in the government//And the muh'f***in' Democrats is actin' like Republicans
~The Beautiful Struggle - Talib Kweli
leecho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Mike, for people who've never installed Linux before.. it usually is a pain to install.

Lee, Linux sucks for games, unless you have extremely limited tastes hehe. It's better to have a Dual boot with XP and Linux, so that you can use Windows just for games, and Nix for everything else.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 04-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
brettmar
Obliviot

My favorite Distro is Slackware. I love everything about it.

Linux of course makes a much better server OS than a Client workstation, although it can do both. Removing a lot of the .o files in the kernel will really boost the performance though, bringing it to 2004395349085345908345% more reliable and faster than your normal windows OS.
brettmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmar
My favorite Distro is Slackware. I love everything about it.

Linux of course makes a much better server OS than a Client workstation, although it can do both. Removing a lot of the .o files in the kernel will really boost the performance though, bringing it to 2004395349085345908345% more reliable and faster than your normal windows OS.
Late reply, aye. But I never heard of that technique before. I'll have to look into that more, lol.