Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Processors

Processors Can't decide about which CPU to purchase? Want to discuss CPU architecture? Your place is here.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default The Future of AMD

AMD did a great writeup on the state of AMD and what's in store for the future. I think most everyone on this forum is anticipating Barcelona, for good reason. After AMDs recent showing of it's media capabilities, the future is looking good. It just can't get here fast enough.

The article also goes into depth about the future of both the CPU and GPU working together.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2986

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:12 AM   #2
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
AMD did a great writeup on the state of AMD and what's in store for the future. I think most everyone on this forum is anticipating Barcelona, for good reason. After AMDs recent showing of it's media capabilities, the future is looking good. It just can't get here fast enough.

The article also goes into depth about the future of both the CPU and GPU working together.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2986
Only if they release a 939 version. Otherwise I could care less.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
MacMan
Partition Master

Smile Not sure about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
Only if they release a 939 version. Otherwise I could care less.
I'm not sure about AMD surviving, but lets' hope so? I have read that they are loosing money faster than Microsoft and Apple are making it. like $632+ millions in the past three-months alone and who knows how much more in the coming months? Certainly no company can bleed like that before something gives?

There have been rumors that Apple may buy AMD, but I doubt that? That would be like paying to have an anvil placed around your neck. Intel is one powerhouse that is going to be hard to beat. But then again, not long ago Apple was in the same place, if not worse, than AMD is now and we all know how that ended up. From $1.9 billion in market cap to over 94 billion; $4 billion in annual sales to an estimated 30-34 billion in sales this year!

Yep, AMD might just might make it after all!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

I have every bit of confidence in AMD right now. Buying ATI was a very smart move but terrible timing. They are going to have to survive by doing what they have mastered over the years which is undercutting Intel in the price/performance wars.

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
I'm not sure about AMD surviving, but lets' hope so? I have read that they are loosing money faster than Microsoft and Apple are making it. like $632+ millions in the past three-months alone and who knows how much more in the coming months? Certainly no company can bleed like that before something gives?

There have been rumors that Apple may buy AMD, but I doubt that? That would be like paying to have an anvil placed around your neck. Intel is one powerhouse that is going to be hard to beat. But then again, not long ago Apple was in the same place, if not worse, than AMD is now and we all know how that ended up. From $1.9 billion in market cap to over 94 billion; $4 billion in annual sales to an estimated 30-34 billion in sales this year!

Yep, AMD might just might make it after all!
I don't desire AMD going under but I'm not really interested in their new CPU's. I'm in no big rush to dispose of my hardware just yet.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote