Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Mobile & Small Form-Factor Computing

Mobile & Small Form-Factor Computing Discuss notebooks, PDAs, Smartphones, Cell Phones and all other mobile devices here.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2

This has to be one of the most drooled over, [at least with me] laptops EVER.

Man, a 6800U in a LAPTOP. Really, it's an overclocked 6800, but damn, the benchmarks!

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we see SLi in a laptop :|

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
Tech-Daddy
Tech Monkey

What I really cannot wait for, is for the various lapto pvendors to agree upon a laptop mini-PCI spec that allows for removable and upgradeable video cards!

They already have a few designs out there, and I've heard it touted in a few places... but I want to see industry adoption of that! *Then* I'll consider a laptop.

Right now, you are stuck with the graphics solution that ships with the lapper. I'd like the ability to upgrade it, as newer technologies come out, so that my laptop solution that costs me 1.5 - 2.5 times as much as a desktop... can have the longevity of a desktop!

Is that too much to ask?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:57 PM   #3
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-Daddy
What I really cannot wait for, is for the various lapto pvendors to agree upon a laptop mini-PCI spec that allows for removable and upgradeable video cards!

They already have a few designs out there, and I've heard it touted in a few places... but I want to see industry adoption of that! *Then* I'll consider a laptop.

Right now, you are stuck with the graphics solution that ships with the lapper. I'd like the ability to upgrade it, as newer technologies come out, so that my laptop solution that costs me 1.5 - 2.5 times as much as a desktop... can have the longevity of a desktop!

Is that too much to ask?

What you ask for is already available. A barebones laptop can be built with your choice of a graphics card.

I know the Dells use the standard PCIe form factor, so far Dell has not sold the cards by themselves, you must return the laptop, or visit one of their centers in order to upgrade the video. The 7 series ATI is bringing their higher performance GPUs to the mobile market as well.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
Unregistered
Guest Poster

I can't edit, but I meant to say..." I DON'T know if Dell uses the standard FF PCIx cards."
Old 06-20-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I can't edit, but I meant to say..." I DON'T know if Dell uses the standard FF PCIx cards."
Yes, it definitely is available. I'd like to see it way more available though, and hope to see it in the future.

(AKA I hate my damn mobile 5200FX!)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote