Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Submissions > Reader-Submitted News

Reader-Submitted News Stumble on some interesting news from around the Web and want to share? This is the place!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Psi*
Tech Monkey

Default ASUS Introduces World's First Intel Thunderbolt 2-Certified Motherboard

I have to admit that I barely understand Thunderbolt. This just popped up in one of my news sources, but looking at the date of the news release ... this is old news?

Since I am a bit of an Asus junky I guess I will have to read up on Thunderbolt.
Psi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Well, if by old you mean a week old :P

I got caught up with things so I didn't post about it. I personally have no interest in Thunderbolt 1, so I certainly don't have interest in Thunderbolt 2, but when it comes down to it, I -really- don't like adopting the very first release of something like this. Remember when the first SATA 3 and USB 3.0 boards came out? Those connections got much faster with subsequent releases. I think this is just marketing at the moment. I don't see much use for TB among enthusiasts the the moment, so the bandwidth could be inflated 100x and it still wouldn't change anything.

Edit: Oh, and I am working on an ASUS Z87-EXPERT review atm... it has Thunderbolt. Aside from that, it's almost an identical board to the Z87-PRO. The premium? $40...

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

It's a little tricky to explain to people the advantage of Thunderbolt over something like USB 3.0. If you look at base bandwidth, then at face value, there is little difference. Then add in the cost of active cables over Thunderbolt, the proprietary nature of the system, it's a very expensive version of firewire to most people and simply ignored. Why use TB when USB 3.0 is already universal and cheap?

I'm not an advocate of TB, but I can see the technical advantages of the system. First of all, in its simplest form, it's a PCIe cable; anything you can do with PCIe, you can do over TB. This means that TB can carry a USB 3.0 connection if you want it to. At the same time, it can carry DisplayPort, Ethernet, S/PDIF or even graphics... further still, it can carry all of these at the same time, limited of course by the total available bandwidth of the connection. It can also be daisy-chained. Mobile users got very excited over this, because it could mean that you could have a single cable that hooks up your laptop to a dock, which then provides all the I/O that you need, and possibly an external graphics card. Peak your interest?

So far though, all that's been released is a few NAS solutions, an incompatible monitor, and an incompatible Sony variation of TB... oh, and a very expensive dock by Belkin.

But you can hook up NICs, audio and other things to a USB 3.0 port, why pay more for the same? Well... there is a more fundamental difference too. USB 3.0 is a protocol which is interpreted and then sent over PCIe, like SATA, this means that you introduce a middleman in the connection, and thus, latency is significantly increased. TB is PCIe, so there is no latency overhead (well, very little), so nearly the full bandwidth is available.

TB has its place, but because it's locked-in and misunderstood, it'll remain expensive and underutilised. Pretty much like Firewire - which in itself, was a niche but technically superior protocol to USB. There's a reason why a lot of older Pro-Audio gear used Firewire instead of USB... latency, signal quality and power filtering.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Yep, Thunderbolt offers some nice flexibility with interconnectivity with that PCIe-like capability. But it's locked in, under-utilized, and supremely over-expensive on cables while devices carrying it require their own premiums... it may catch on in the future after the costs drop to nothing and a wider array or newer devices begin using it, but until then USB 3.1 looks fine to me.

What's newsworthy about it is that if you want Thunderbolt 2 capability, you need a thunderbolt 2 capable device + controller. The Thunderbolt stuff on the market isn't going to cut it. It's a shame they couldn't make it a flexible design in channel configuration, then it wouldn't have been an issue or a need for TB2 in the first place.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote