Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Samsung YP-K3 2GB MP3 Player

If you are looking for a lightweight MP3 player, Samsung's K3 2GB or 4GB player is worth your consideration. It weighs just 200g, includes a bright OLED screen and proves simple to use.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
MacMan
Partition Master

Default Nice but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
If you are looking for a lightweight MP3 player, Samsung's K3 2GB or 4GB player is worth your consideration. It weighs just 200g, includes a bright OLED screen and proves simple to use.

I love Samsung; my main monitor is a Samsung; they are one of the best, but when it comes to the Samsung's K3, you have to be blind, not to see that the basic design is copied from the Nano.

In some ways though, I like it better, but it looks like a Nano minus the click wheel.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
madmat
Soup Nazi

Everything is "copied" from something else. The nano looks like cigarette lighters that used to be around when I was a kid, the "eternal match" type that looked like a stretched out Zippo and had a porus metal wick with a striker on it and a small striker on the bottom or side of the lighter. The wick soaked in Ronsonol and you pulled it from the lighter, struck it and you had a match that could be reused thousands of times. It was inherently unsafe and disappeared from the market before the 80's rolled around.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

But did your lighter play hot songs? Haha, I kill me. :-\

As for the K3, no doubt it was copied from the Nano, or something else. It's pretty hard to differentiate an MP3 player, especially when you are getting that small. They all have buttons, and a screen. Not much you can do. Even if Samsung copied the Nano, they did a great job of de-homosexualizing it. I love the look of the K3, but can't stand the feminine look of the Nano.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 08-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

I'm looking into an MP3 player that can handle PlaysForSure WMAs -- this may be just the ticket for me.

Rory Buszka
Rory Buszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default usb 2.0

hi,
is it usb2 for file transfer speed?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Yes, it is USB 2.0

Old 09-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #8
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post

I have a question, I've been trying to figure out for weeks how to add my playlist in there but it never works can someone help me?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Hmm, I sent this back once the review was finished, so I can't test. I know you need to create the playlist on your PC though, and likely keep the .pls file within the folder that the music is in. You might want to try that, and a few other things. I am quite sure that the manual stated how to do it though...

Old 09-28-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Unhappy Text file?

My quick start manual and this review (http://www.cnet.com.au/mp3players/mp...9274535,00.htm) stated that the K3 can display text files (well, the quick start guide only hinted...). The manual was quiet on it, though.

I've tried dragging and dropping a text file into the K3 via both Windows Explorer and the Media Studio, and it still doesn't work. When I try to see if the text file will be stored somewhere in the player, the text file is automatically deleted. o_O

Help, please?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
Unregistered
Guest Poster

The North American version of the K3 is castrated and useless; MTP only, no customizable EQ and no text file option.

You need to do some searching around the web to find a way to upgrade to the 4.03 / 4.06 Korean firmwares that have all those options. The best part abou the 4.xx firmware is it changes it from MTP -> UMS.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Angry

I wish I could work out how to make the music sit in folders rather than one huge block in my player.

I don't want to have to make a playlist for every group of songs I have.

I have difficulty listening to techno followed by part 4 of a book on tape.

Really gives me the irrits.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Unhappy Problem with this MP3

Hello,

I just receive a Samsung YP-K3 2GB MP3 Player.
I read the user guide and I followed up the instructions, I charged the MP3 4 hours but unfortunately I was not able to start to see the menu etc.
I suppose that even if my pc is not very good, is not compatible with the standards as it is requested by the MP3 at least I should be able to open it and check the menu.

Could you please advice?
Thank you very much
Old 04-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Exclamation "Failed to transfer files to the portable device"

Okay so I have a problem:

Files cannot be transferred to or from the portable device into the PC area.

The portable device is recognized, files can be ripped from a CD and stored on the desktop computer, but it will not work. Files can be renamed on the desktop computer and dragged into the PC area but will not transfer onto portable device.

I keep receiving the error message of "Failed to transfer files to the portable device" at the 90% mark of the file being ripped. It seems to not be coverting the files at all when attempting to transfer to portable device.

This process has worked in the past and nothing has changed on the desktop PC.

Unplugged the device from the USB, plugged it back in. No change.

Stopped Samsung media player and restarted. No change.

Did a warm boot and cold boot on the desktop. No change.

Also checked My documents/My music to check file was being ripped to correct filepath and ripped correctly, and it was. Also checked environmental variables and nothing is out of the ordinary.

Itunes is on the current PC, but all Itunes programs are stopped from running in the background before Samsung media player is opened.

Space left on device is approx. .70GB... only trying to add 8 more songs!

Please help!

Email back to ASAP:
firetrials @ hot mail dot com

Thx!

-Carolyn
Old 06-04-2008, 06:20 AM   #15
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default same here...i have the same problem

i have the same situation as carolyn.when ripping,the trasfer stops at about 88% of the task.yet it has been successful with the prior 12 cd's!!
help
phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Okay so I have a problem:

Files cannot be transferred to or from the portable device into the PC area.

The portable device is recognized, files can be ripped from a CD and stored on the desktop computer, but it will not work. Files can be renamed on the desktop computer and dragged into the PC area but will not transfer onto portable device.

I keep receiving the error message of "Failed to transfer files to the portable device" at the 90% mark of the file being ripped. It seems to not be coverting the files at all when attempting to transfer to portable device.

This process has worked in the past and nothing has changed on the desktop PC.

Unplugged the device from the USB, plugged it back in. No change.

Stopped Samsung media player and restarted. No change.

Did a warm boot and cold boot on the desktop. No change.

Also checked My documents/My music to check file was being ripped to correct filepath and ripped correctly, and it was. Also checked environmental variables and nothing is out of the ordinary.

Itunes is on the current PC, but all Itunes programs are stopped from running in the background before Samsung media player is opened.

Space left on device is approx. .70GB... only trying to add 8 more songs!

Please help!

Email back to ASAP:
firetrials @ hot mail dot com

Thx!

-Carolyn

Tags
None