Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Processors

Processors Can't decide about which CPU to purchase? Want to discuss CPU architecture? Your place is here.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
Will Nave
E.M.I.

Location: [cornfield][beanfield][ME][Illinois River][cornfield][beanfield]
Default AMD vs. Intel

Here's a good article outlining a comparison test that Tom's Hardware did on the Intel vs. AMD, enjoy!

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041217/
Will Nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Great and well put together article.

AMD for the win, either way :P

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
brettmar
Obliviot

I disagree on the AMD winning. :P

Granted, I love AMD. I have tried the A64 line very little, so my knowledge may be somewhat lacking among that line.

BUT: Do a search on your windows drive for *.exe . When complete, select all, and open. AMD Based chips will lock after XXX amount of open processes, where Intel will load them ALL. Multitasking with intel is so much smoother.

AMD however, does have the best bottom line.
brettmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Yes, Intel is better at handling that type of thing. I still prefer AMD because of the gaming aspect. If I was to choose a high end Intel, or high end AMD, it would be AMD for sure.

Unless the game is intensly math heavy, then Intel would likely win.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
Nosebiter
Obliviot

I'll simply say this, I've always been happier with Intel then AMD. That is not to detract from AMD, although I think VIA went a long way to ruin AMD's stability reputation from the begining. Nothing like crappy chipsets to ruin a processors rep, and coming back from that is a tough road.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Nosebiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #6
brettmar
Obliviot

I want dual core NOW!

I know both platforms are coming out with new and exciting products, but something tells me that the Intel dual core procs with the supposed Hyper transport rollout for Intel chipsets will blow everything we have ever seen out of the water. I wonder if the editions of the new D.C. procs will allow each core SMP support, and have each an individual l2 and l3 cache.
brettmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
madstork91
The One, The Only...

Intel: Can we say Stability? Better Rep? Paying me to make this post?
madstork91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #8
leecho7
Partition Master

I would have to go with AMD, I had my XP 2400 ever since it came out... and I love it...
The way we saluting flags, wrapping them around our heads when ni**az ain't become American till 9/11 //Feeling like you gotta sneak into heaven//When the reverend looking like a pimp and the pimp look like the reverend...
People let me paint a picture You know I ain't a christian I ain't a muslim, ain't a jew I'm losing my religion I speak to god directly...
~Around my Way - Talib Kweli

You go to church to find you some religion//And all you hear is connivin' and gossip and contradiction and//You try to vote and participate in the government//And the muh'f***in' Democrats is actin' like Republicans
~The Beautiful Struggle - Talib Kweli
leecho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
Muddy
E.M.I.

I have 2 good comps in my house. A 2.8 ghz intel and a AMD 64 3200+. The difference between those 2 is sooooo big. They are not really comparable but hey tough. lol AMD is gaming intel is other stuff end of discussion
PNY 6800 (16 Pipes, 3 Pixel Shaders)
2x 160gb SATA
500 X-Connect (bleh)
Muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #10
Mike Delorme
Obliviot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmar
I want dual core NOW!

I know both platforms are coming out with new and exciting products, but something tells me that the Intel dual core procs with the supposed Hyper transport rollout for Intel chipsets will blow everything we have ever seen out of the water. I wonder if the editions of the new D.C. procs will allow each core SMP support, and have each an individual l2 and l3 cache.
The problem with thease are the price. Regular folk cant afford thease things when they first come out. Except for the AMD 64, AMD's are veryfairly priced when they come out.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:47 AM   #11
madstork91
The One, The Only...

Intel 4 life foo!

Dual processors sound nice... But if such a thing were to come about in a mass production i would have to finally give in and buy AMDs...
madstork91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #12
PUTALE
E.M.I.

perpetual argument of amd vs intel. I think each one of them have their strength and weakness. AMD used to be a worse performer than intel but it has caught up and now it has many features that intel is learning. I think depend on what you need to do, you really can't go wrong choosing one or the other.
PUTALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:02 PM   #13
Word.
E.M.I.

Smile AMD vs Intel

Well i agree AMD is a great gaming CPU, i too chose AMD 64 3000+ Works Damn good it keeps me happy with its performace. but intel is also a great CPU but intel is more for like a multimedia type of CPU so if your going to be hard core into the top games go AMD i assure you its great.

They both have there pros and cons so dont be killing your brain when you go to buy one or help someone else buy one.

AMD 64 3000+ S939 1.80Ghz, DFI lanparty mobo 1 gig DDR PC3200, MSI 6600GT 128 PCI-E SLI compatable.

PS ... i cant spell for shit.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:56 PM   #14
Mike Delorme
Obliviot

Conclusion: AMD for games, Intel for multitasting. Cant we all just agree to dissagree?
Old 04-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #15
PUTALE
E.M.I.

well, I think the idea that amd for game is a little bit misunderstood. AMD just a tad better at gaming given the same clockspeed and intel is better at multitasking/multimedia. The truth is that both performs equally well under any circustances, we are just a tad picky with the like 5% diff in the benchmarks. Though, AMD do have a slightly advantages of placing cpu at a bit lower prices but still I think high end cpu is expensive no matter what, I mean once you have to shed out like 200 for a cpu the extra 20 or so is really not that huge.
PUTALE is offline   Reply With Quote