Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Motherboards

Motherboards Discussion of motherboards of all form-factors and their chipsets should be discussed about here.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
Tech-Daddy
Tech Monkey

Default SLi - Yes or No on your new rig?

Me? I'm such a SLi supporter. I just think that it offers me the best possible ammount of forward flexability to handle the forseeable future! If I have a game in a year or two that eats my 6600, I'll snag another 6600 and SLi them together. By that time the 6600 will be dheap, so the additional performance will be a and inexpensive simple addition. After that, I'll move to the next SLi capable card, and single it... until I need more... then I'll dual it.

What are your thoughts on SLi?

And none of the whole, NVidia conspiracy. What they have done is figure out a way to increase their market sales, without increasing the persons. 1 user buying 2 cards = 2 sales. Plus, means NVidia also sold a motherboard based on their corelogic chipset (as SLi is NVidia only...)

They did a good job on the execution of this, and I can't WAIT to see what ATi brings to the table.

Old 04-08-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

If I was to buy a computer *now*, I would buy one with SLi capabilities for sure, because of the reasons you mentioned. However, I am willing to wait to see what more comes of this.

ATI has also created technology, more recently, similar to SLi. Except where SLi can contain a maximum of 2 cards, the ATI version can use 16 or 32 cards, I forget which.

I tend to like ATI more, because I've had better luck with their cards, so I am really waiting to see how long it will be before they come out with a similar technology.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
madstork91
The One, The Only...

Are we talking mainstream use here or 1337 gamers?

For the 1337ists then hell yeah! SLi all the way baby! I mean what are the draw backs? Will new games support it? not to many, and most likely. So Yes. Of course I would say get it.

For the mainstream, No. Too expensive and there are not enough benifits or positive aspects about it. I mean its a pretty new deal really. There are hardly any games that even would come close to taping its potential, and I doubt there will be any for some time. So no. No way. Not right now atleast.

Me? Im the mainstream 1337 (um I'm not an over clocker nor do I know C++ im just the stork ) So unless I get an awsome deal on it... prob not for awhile.
madstork91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:37 PM   #4
madmat
Soup Nazi

Rob, your mobo IS SLI capable with a simple pencil mod and personally I have no big achinmg desire to go SLI until it matures more to the point of encompassing every game out there and if they can't pull it off (I'm not talking about with a performance boost, just not having to shift between SLI and non SLI would be nice) then I'd rather lose a few FPS and stick with a no-hassle setup.

Heck, I'm not ready to dump AGP yet, as long as they keep putting out next gen cards in AGP I'll be happily plunking down the duckets to buy 'em.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Well said madstork91. I would also consider myself to be a mainstream gamer. I honestly have no need for SLI and if I had the money, I would probably just get a bad ass proc rather than spen the money on SLI. AGP is dying but very slowly. I would be willing to bet that the AGP slot will be around for atleast another gen of cards, perhaps even 2 more. Of course they will be in smaller and smaller numbers but the AGP market is still out there and going strong. AGP will be missed......I remember getting the ATi Rage 128. One of the first cards to support AGP. I still have the guy somewhere.
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:50 AM   #6
Regeneration
NGOHQ CEO

The current SLI score isnt good enough for me.
Regeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I somewhat agree. That's why I can't wait to see what Crossfire brings to the table. Of course, you'd really need to have a high resolution to really touch SLi or CF.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 07-17-2005, 07:09 PM   #8
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

I am axious to see what ATi can do with CrossFire as well. I wonder if it will will be able to boost FPS way up or if it will show is't muscle in the higher minimal FPS like SLi does. It will be interesting......

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Well.. apparently unlike SLi, CF will give higher FPS is *all* games. NVIDIA has that capability too.. but it's software handling, not hardware.

It will be interesting for sure.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
Regeneration
NGOHQ CEO

Maybe ill get CF too but I will have to rob a bank or even two.

1500$ X800x2
288$ Motherboard with CF

Last edited by Regeneration; 07-19-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Regeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:32 AM   #11
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Thumbs up

I am running Sli duel 6600 GT's AMD 64bit 3.2g 2 sata 60g raided as i only play afew games (normaly the best ones)

This is a kick ass system CS source gave me 120 fps, BF2 on high grapics looks so amazing i was gob smacked when i could see rivets in the steel of a building.

i ko very little about computers but i so GO FOR IT. i can run all the games i want to and later when my 6600gt's get tired i can up grade.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:50 PM   #12
Bobbythecat
E.M.I.

Dammit I forgot where I read this, but I am sure this is on the nVidia site.
They claim superiority over all of what Crossfire has to offer, from the mobo to the cards. Now that I have a 7800gt myself, though, I won't be entertaining the idea of switching to Crossfire anytime soon.
Having a sli capable mobo is nice, since when this 7800gt becomes feeble and dated, I could add another one to give it some more life, assuming that the extra card had depreciated enough for my budget to handle as a law student..
Attorney #1: I stepped on a baby bird this morning on the way into the courthouse.
Attorney #2: The jokes are right. We don't have souls.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."
~ Mark Twain. Many may say something like it, but few act upon it. Woe unto them.
Bobbythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:37 AM   #13
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

You were probably thinking about this article.

I hear you. I really hope that CrossFire blows me away, but I don't really have any need to upgrade. Heck, I game only at 1280.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:39 PM   #14
Ben
Site Developer

Yes, SLI makes more sense because if you dont not have enough money for a top of the line card, you can buy one cheap card, and then add in another cheap card down the road and get pratically twice the power of one.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:47 AM   #15
Bobbythecat
E.M.I.

And that sounds so lovely...
Attorney #1: I stepped on a baby bird this morning on the way into the courthouse.
Attorney #2: The jokes are right. We don't have souls.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."
~ Mark Twain. Many may say something like it, but few act upon it. Woe unto them.
Bobbythecat is offline   Reply With Quote