Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Saitek Cyborg Command Unit

Hardcore gamer? Have a need to create insane macros to get the job done? Saitek's "Cyborg" Command Unit delivers! Although the hardware itself leaves a bit to be desired, the included software offers the ability to create numerous long macros to help you get the job done.

You can read Nate's full review here and discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default saitek command unit

Hi.

I have this unit and other than one problem i find it very servicible. First, my units 3 colors are red, green and BLUE, the logo on the "palm part" is also blue. The problem is sticky keys.....after some use they stick and i find myself running smack dab into danger.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #3
NicePants42
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi.

I have this unit and other than one problem i find it very servicible. First, my units 3 colors are red, green and BLUE, the logo on the "palm part" is also blue. The problem is sticky keys.....after some use they stick and i find myself running smack dab into danger.
Wow, it does appear that there are at least two version of this thing, which I was not aware of. Thanks for that bit of info.

As for the sticky keys, that was my main problem with the unit. The general cheapness of the keys' conctruction results in poor key action, including such problems as keys sticking. In my case, I found that the keys needed a little extra care in order to be actuated - applying too much lateral pressure will prevent the key from being pressed.

I'm glad you've found it serviceable in general, though. While Saitek's SST software feels a little 'bare bones' as it were, it is the most functional software I've worked with, and would compliment a lot of the more expensive (but higher quality) game pads I've seen.
NicePants42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Belkin has a nice controller... I think its the same as Razer's or at least powered by Razer. It might make a decent comparison piece.

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
NicePants42
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSynergy View Post
Belkin has a nice controller... I think its the same as Razer's or at least powered by Razer. It might make a decent comparison piece.
Yes, I've seen it in stores, and the tactile response is MUCH better than the Cyborg Command Unit. However, I have never been a fan of Razer's driver software - so you have an excellent point. It would be interesting to see if the Belkin unit has the software to back up it's build quality.
NicePants42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:34 AM   #6
Unregistered
Guest Poster

the older Pro Gaming Command Unit is red, green & blue - the Cyborg is just a facelifted version & the LED colours match those of the new Cyborg keyboard (Saitek have obviously decided that blue is no longer "cool").
There should be manuals on the CD & it is possible to configure the software to load a default profile on boot/restart.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Thumbs down Nostromo......

I just bought this unit, and frankly, I like my old n52 much better, which, is the same price if you can find it. The programming interface in better, and the overall feel is better. The "ministick" on my Cyborg seems to be a bit off. Can't get it to function right. I'll take my d-pad over this stick. As far as the LED's go, Nostromo has come out with a "TE" version of the n52 that is backlit as well, though it's an extra 30 dollars.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
Anabaric =[SD]=
Guest Poster

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The problem is sticky keys.....after some use they stick and i find myself running smack dab into danger.
Def 2 versions, later one does have blue woot!

Ass for sticky keys, remove said keys, lube liberally with silicon polish sorted.
Fecking brilliant little controller for the money.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Will (unregistered)
Guest Poster

Hey all. My Saitek Cyborg Keyboard broke due to various problems, one of the main ones being the incompatibility with vista 32/64. I am being sent a replacement keyboard and a complimentary Command unit (courtesy of Saitek). I understand for this trial you used Vista64... did you encounter any problems at all with driver installation? I am not really worried about it, I think it will work. One thing that annoys me is the "manual" is actually for the "gamers command unit" NOT the Cyborg... they are very different, the gamers unit only went up to X64, not vista in any way. This is slightly worrying and that implies to me there are no instructions written down... and, more importantly, no warranty!

I look forward to receiving it in the post soon, but I really am quite tense.

Many thanks for an excellent and honest review.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Alexander_den2
Guest Poster

Default Got my second

I have used the Pro Gamer Command Unit for two years. This is the one with blue light as main color and a nice saitek logo projected on the table. It also have some metal pieces.
It was the first one to reach the market.
I loved it. Ministick for moving and reprogrammed the shift key for sprints. However, after 1000 hours my ministick starts to wear out and I bought a new one for replacement. Could only get hold of the newer Cyborg Command Unit. It has red as main color and the metal pieces are replaced with plastic. However the top 4 keys are now also illuminated, which they were'nt on the first one. I guess that is why it needs more power from the USB too.

They are much the same, but the real problem for me is the software. The new unit will not work with the old SST version so I had to upgrade to SD6. In some strange way the bands work different in the new software, making me stick in sideway movement for a while when going forward. This now applies to my old controller to, so it has to be the software. I'm working on a solution.
Just my story...
Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
madstork91
The One, The Only...

Is there any way to program this thing to center your mouse on the screen?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default Satiek Command Unit

I have been trying to get this pad to work with Stalker SHOC for months. every few weeks I try the profile again just to see if I did something wrong. but nothing.....The game ingnores the pad completely. I was just wondering if there is something really obvious that I am missing like unplugging the keyboard or something.......

Anyway, thanks

Tags
None