Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Audio

Audio Audiophile or not, all sound card, speakers or general audio posts should be posted here.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Default On board versus sound cards

Can anyone really tell a frickin differance? I know I have shitty speakers but still, I wonder daily why I wasted so much money on the Audigy 2 ZS when it came out. Damn it Dark, damn it.

System:
Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | WD 2TB Green x 1 | EVGA 660 Ti Superclocked | Corsair H80 Water Cooler
Fractal Design R3 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 1920x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i7 920 @ 3.0 GHz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 1TB Black x 2
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:30 AM   #2
madmat
Soup Nazi

I can Of course if you've got a good onboard system like the VIA 24 bit or Audigy onboard there's not much reason to lay out good cash on a discrete card.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
leecho7
Partition Master

I notice a difference between my onboard sound and my sound card. It's a whole world of difference. If you have 80 bucks, then pick up a Sound Blaster Audigy 4. BF2, Oblivion, and even music have never sounded better. With the right headphones/speakers, you'll literally hear things you never heard before in games and in music. My only gripe is all my PCI slots are now used up. One for the sound, and one for the wireless network card...
The way we saluting flags, wrapping them around our heads when ni**az ain't become American till 9/11 //Feeling like you gotta sneak into heaven//When the reverend looking like a pimp and the pimp look like the reverend...
People let me paint a picture You know I ain't a christian I ain't a muslim, ain't a jew I'm losing my religion I speak to god directly...
~Around my Way - Talib Kweli

You go to church to find you some religion//And all you hear is connivin' and gossip and contradiction and//You try to vote and participate in the government//And the muh'f***in' Democrats is actin' like Republicans
~The Beautiful Struggle - Talib Kweli
leecho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
b1lk1
Tech Monkey

Sorry to revive such an old topic, but hte latest AL888DD onboard sound is AMAZING to say the least. I just removed my Audigy 2 ZS as it does not even sound as good as this onboard. Also, it can deliver real Dolby Digital Live AND DTS through the S/Pdif. Playing music and games and what not through my Z-680's has never been so gratifying. Anyone looking to eliminate the sound cards in their new PC's, get this onboard codec and you'll never look back.
Patriot PC2-6400 2X2GB LL
2 X BFG 8800GTX in SLI
Enermax Revolution 620W PSU
ASUS 24X DVD/Seagate 250GB SATA 2/THermaltake A90/Windows 7 Ultimate 64
b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
madstork91
The One, The Only...

I thought the onboard sound for my mobo was decent enough, then i put in my x-fi. WOW!!!! theres a differance you wouldnt believe. I think the differance comes in how well each individual mobo's built in sound performs and how great of a sound card you are putting in. I mean if there on board is a 5.7 digital surround and the card you put in is s a dual cahnnel stereo surround (just right and left channels) you will actually be going down quite a few notches.

On a side note, there isnt too much of a differance from on board to card or even a 200$ card to a 50$ one if you are using some cheap A$$ speakers. If your card uses 4.??? or higher, you wont know half of the sound that is being played on alot of things untill you go out and spend the money on a decent pair of speakers. Thats my 2 cents worth anyhow.

ps. Im busy right now and am not going to even attempt a half aced job a spell checking. PHEAR MEH TYPOS!