Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Storage Devices and Memory

Storage Devices and Memory Hard Drives, Optical Drives, Flash and anything memory related can be posted here.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Seagate's 1.5TB Hard Drive Now In Stock

From our front-page news:
Although Seagate announced their 1.5TB hard drive well over two months ago, it took quite a while before the model began to show up in retailers. That has apparently changed recently though, as NewEgg and a few others now have the monster hard drives in stock.

At current time, NewEgg, Tiger Direct and CompUSA all stock the drive, and for the exact same price of $189.99 - which is incredible. The price of storage has fallen so much over the past few years, that the case really is that anyone can have too much storage... far more than they'd ever need. Of course, that's what we said a few years ago about 100GB drives, but I can't see the progression keeping up. Even with today's media-hungry lifestyle, it would take a lot of effort to fill 1TB or more.

Speaking of 1TB, those drives are also worth considering, as their prices have also plummeted. When those drives first hit the market, they carried a price tag of $400, but now? $130 on average. 500GB? $70. Prices are indeed amazing, and there's no better time than now to be a storage glutton. With RAM and processor prices being what they are, it's never been easier to build a stellar PC that won't break the bank, that's for sure.

This is the ultimate drive for the ages, and it will take ages to fill it up. By now, the world knows that Seagate Barracuda 7200 drives deliver years of reliable service and high performance. In one bold move, Seagate provides the largest single capacity jump in the history of hard drives - a half-terabyte increase from the previous high 1TB.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
Merlin
The Tech Wizard

Formats to 1397.26 GB with NTFS under Windows
GTX280 GPU watercooled
Synology NAS 207 Network Server with 2 Hitachi Terabite drives
LG NAS N2R1 with 2 ea 2 tb drives
LINKSYS PLK300 Powerline Network Kit

Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
On_Wisconsin
Coastermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Formats to 1397.26 GB with NTFS under Windows
That's still big....

ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" and Samsung 226BW dual monitor setup, Logitech x-540 speakers
On_Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote