Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Software > Gaming

Gaming Anything gaming-related can be discussed here, for PCs, handhelds and consoles.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Mirror's Edge Offers Unique Gaming Experience

From our front-page news:
We've talked a little bit about Mirror's Edge in our news in the past, but it wasn't until the other night that I was finally able to sit down and see what the game was all about. Well, actually, it was more like sitting down and finding a level we could use for benchmarking, because that was the ultimate goal. But I did manage to see what the game was all about.

Mirror's Edge, for the unaware, is a first-person adventure game that might look like a shooter, but isn't. In fact, this game seems to have a much higher focus on puzzle-solving, or simply finding your way through a level, than getting rid of people who get in your way. The gameplay is based around parkour, a cool sport that really tests ones own abilities. The difference in Mirror's Edge, though, is that you can practice it from the safety of your own home!

I wasn't sure what to think when jumping (no pun) into the game for the first time, but I have to say, I'm actually quite impressed. First, the game is quite fluid. Before you know it, you'll be hopping over fences, running up walls, jumping from pipe to pipe, like it's nothing. That might sound a little bit boring, but it's surprisingly a great deal of fun. In this regard, the game is a lot more "free" than other first person games.

Picture for example, in Half-Life 2, seeing a tall building and knowing you can get up there without the noclip cheat code. In Mirror's Edge, there's a good chance that you can get on most buildings. You just need to know how to properly scale them, and that's half of the fun. Finding yourself on top of a building two minutes after being on the road is simply cool, and the style of gameplay is definitely refreshing.

When all said and done, I've only played the game through bits and pieces of a few different levels, but so far I'm enjoying the game enough to want to dedicate time sometime soon to actually play through it. From what I read around the web, it can be quite frustrating at some points, so I'm sure that's something that would bug me as well, but the gameplay is just too unique to ignore the game for. If I do manage to dedicate time soon to playing it, I'll post more about it. I'd also like to take a look at things from a PhysX perspective as well, since this is the game NVIDIA is pushing so hard around that technology.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

will be playing tomorrow! wohoo! will it run ok on my system? 1440*900?! damn, i cant believe iam asking this, just bought this system in August! lol!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Hah, at that resolution, any game will run well. You might want to run the game without PhysX, but you'll have to play around to see if that GPU can handle both PhysX and regular gameplay no problem.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 01-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Merlin
The Tech Wizard

Do they give you cake when you complete the game?
I'm still enjoying Portal for right now, I think it's her soothing voice that intice's me, or maybe she reminds me of an old girlfriend...lol

Merlin
GTX280 GPU watercooled
Synology NAS 207 Network Server with 2 Hitachi Terabite drives
LG NAS N2R1 with 2 ea 2 tb drives
LINKSYS PLK300 Powerline Network Kit

Last edited by Merlin; 01-21-2009 at 04:56 AM.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

It's funny you mention Portal, because for whatever reason, I tend to think of that game when I'm playing Mirror's Edge. I'm not sure why, but it might have to do with the general design of the game and the focus on getting through a level rather than killing anything that moves.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

yipee, the game works very well on highest settings and 2X AA. did not turn on PhysX yet though.
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

I haven't played MIrror's Edge yet but did install it last night. If I can find some time, I plan on giving it a go later this week. As for Portal, I still play it a fair amount to kill some time and it ranks up towards the top of my list of faves.

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote