Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Any tech topic that can't be fit into another category belongs here.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
DennisA
Obliviot

Default XP freezes with new SATA DVD Burner installed

I installed a Sony SATA DVD burner in my PC that has a MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard. I'm running Windows XP. I have a SATA hard drive and IDE DVD burner already connected. When I restart my computer it freezes up. Is the a BIOS setting or something that I'm missing?
DennisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Just to make sure I have it right in my head. You have two ODDs, right? One just happens to be IDE, and the other S-ATA? Either way, freezing like that isn't natural, so something's amiss. Does it freeze inside of Windows, or during the boot process?

If you uninstall that S-ATA drive and things are back to normal, then I'd be willing to bet something is broken inside the drive, because something like that shouldn't happen. I've gone through a lot of ODDs in my day, and have never had something like that happen, but it's not impossible.

You may also want to make sure that your boot order is to your liking. Your main HDD should be on S-ATA 0, while the S-ATA-based ODD should be S-ATA 1. The IDE is on its own channel, so you only have one place to put it.

Wish I had better advice right now... this problem really doesn't make any sense.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
DennisA
Obliviot

Smile Thanks

Thanks. I'll check the boot order. It usually freezes before windows starts but has actually made it to Windows then froze at least once. It's a brand new DVD burner and did work great the first time I installed it. I'll check mu settings tonight when I get home and get back on here to let you know what I find.
DennisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisA View Post
I installed a Sony SATA DVD burner in my PC that has a MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard. I'm running Windows XP. I have a SATA hard drive and IDE DVD burner already connected. When I restart my computer it freezes up. Is the a BIOS setting or something that I'm missing?
In your BIOS settings set your S-ATA to "Compatibility Mode" (or similarly named) then set in the settings for that individual drive set your PIO and DMA modes manually. A good BIOS will suggest the maximums to you. (Usually PIO4 and DMA6 for S-ATA devices).

XP (esp before SP3) isn't exactly all that smart about S-ATA drives.

You may also want to check the motherboard drivers for your system, perhaps there is an XP version that includes better S-ATA support.
2Tired2Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango View Post
XP (esp before SP3) isn't exactly all that smart about S-ATA drives.
Good point. I tend to take Vista for granted a lot. XP is still the dominant OS, but it's easy forget just how out-of-date the code is.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #6
Leshy
Obliviot

i`d suggest you run your IDE drive in PIO only and dont use DMA

CONFIG
E6750
680i sli
corsair XMS2 1x4gb
8800GTS 640 xxx
CM HAF932
Thermal right 120 extreme