Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Site HQ > Site and Forum Comments & Issues

Site and Forum Comments & Issues Comments? Suggestions? Out-right flames? Found a bug? Feel free to post about it here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #16
radaja
E.M.I.

1. How important is 3D to you for gaming? Movies? Pictures?
not too important at the moment,but hopefully it will be in the future for me.

2. Will you make sure your next TV or Monitor purchase will support 3D?
yes.i'll most likely get a new TV in the next couple of years and would like 3D support

3. How important are in-game physics to you?
very important.the more realistic the better.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #17
TopWinger
Obliviot

I would say that it's very important just because it makes everything so much better but I wouldn't say that it was essential. It's a lot more exciting though when you're feeling as if things are coming right at you; I feel it gets you more interested and involved.

It will definitely be something I look for but I don't feel it would be the deciding factor on whether I bought something or not. If there were similarities between two items and one offered 3D then it would definitely be the push that made me go in that direction.

Important just because of the fact it makes things so much more enjoyable, if I wanted simple basic fun games i'd stick to atari. I'm looking to get the best out of what technology has to offer though.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #18
Polytec
Obliviot

For movies and pictures? Not at all. From what I've seen (limited it may be) the quality of the 3d isn't awe-inspiring. It's interesting but not enough to get me enthused enough to actually target 3d as a must have purchase.

Gaming is more interesting to me. The extra depth 3d gives to games is definitely a consideration.

No. If it has all the other features I'm looking for and includes support for 3d, great. If not I won't be too upset.

The most important. I think 3d can enhance the quality of the physics experience by giving the game more depth.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
bearded frog
Obliviot

[*]1. How important is 3D to you for gaming? Movies? Pictures?
I don't know because I haven't seen it in action but it seems like it would be awesome
[*]2. Will you make sure your next TV or Monitor purchase will support 3D?
Probably. Depends on what is around when I purchase again.
[*]3. How important are in-game physics to you?
Very. Can't go back after games like Half-Life 2.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
RangerX
Obliviot

It could be some what important for gaming but I'm not completely sold on it for movies just yet.

I would be interested in a 120 hz monitor. As for a tv it all depends if its included as a feature at a reasonable price.

It would be nice to have as long as there is no penalty in performance or price.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #21
Traz
Obliviot

A: not really that important, seeing as i wear glasses and can't wear the goofy 3d glasses that you have to wear to see the 3D effects.

A: Probably not, because 3D means more money, which i don't have.

A: I focus more on game content/story than anything else, but physics do play a big part. If the physics were totally wrong in a game i probably couldn't stand to play it.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #22
On_Wisconsin
Coastermaker

Depends on the game. 3d could be a huge impact for the racing genre, especially for driver's perspective. No idea on the effect for movies tho.

No..I'm a college student and I'm too poor for those nice things
I'll probably wait until the next TV for that

Very. As a sim-racer, the immersion factor is big. Better physics = usually a better experience

ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" and Samsung 226BW dual monitor setup, Logitech x-540 speakers
Old 02-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #23
slugbug
Partition Master

I'm from Quebec but have family in New Brunswick who I could have stuff shipped to if that's ok..

* 1. How important is 3D to you for gaming? Movies? Pictures?
Since seeing the movie Avatar at the cinema I realize that 3D will be the next big thing in home theater. I hope the at home 3D experience will be as good or similar to what it was on the big screen.

* 2. Will you make sure your next TV or Monitor purchase will support 3D?
Absolutely. With more and more movies being made in 3D it is only logical that home theater viewers have the same visual experience.

* 3. How important are in-game physics to you?
Realistic in-game physics make playing a good game all the more enjoyable.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #24
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug View Post
I'm from Quebec but have family in New Brunswick who I could have stuff shipped to if that's ok..
Yeah of course, I don't mind that.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #25
Butkick
Obliviot

For gaming 3D is important to me because it adds that extra layer of immersiveness and realism which allows you to be drawn into the game more. It is also important for movies as it brings you closer to the action. I do not find 3D important when viewing pictures as i feel that it is not nessasary.

Science i recently upgraded my monitor, i can say that yes my next monitor purchase will support 3D. As for a TV we haven't made it past CRT yet, would want to get a flat panel first.

It's up there, because as physics is a part of normal life it should be a part of our games too.

Thx

Last edited by Butkick; 02-08-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #26
cooliebwoy
Obliviot

It would be great to have a real immersive experience watching movies, gaming would be second most important while pictures for me is not really a big area of importance for 3d.

Well my tv more than likely will be since I want a bigger tv in the next year or so, 3d monitor would probably be a bit too pricy for me until they get more popular.

fairly important as about half the gmes I play are first person shooters while the other half are strategy .
Old 02-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #27
ken77
Obliviot

I like the idea of 3D games and movies, but haven't had a chance experience either yet. At the moment 3D isn't a high priority for me. I'm waiting for the technology to mature a bit and for all the technical glitches to be worked out.

Depends on the pricing. TVs and monitors last a long time, so I'd like to get something that will support 3D, but I'm not willing to pay a big early-adopter premium.

Everyone seems to have a decent physics engine for game play mechanics these days. What I'd like to see is more use of physics for eye-candy. A good example would be the extra Physx effects in Batman: Arkham Asylum that made that game look great.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #28
sixxtoes
Obliviot

To start with gaming, 3D is something I have tried out, enjoyed, and would love to have running 90% of the time. I previously used the iZ3D drivers with some old Red/Cyan glasses to give 3D gaming a try, but for a few reasons, had to stop doing it (Lots of online games had problems with the drivers, mostly just complications with Punkbuster). I would love a system that would allow 3D in almost all of my games, and know that the NVIDIA Vision allows that.
Movies were never really a big deal to me until I saw Avatar, and just what 3D can add if it is done right. Since then I have been keeping track of the advances on 3D technology to both Monitors, TV's, and Projectors. I am very interested in 3D movies, and would love to have it more available in our living rooms.
Pictures are not very important to me. As far as I'm concerned, pictures are fine just the way they are. 3D doesn't add enough to make it a big deal.

Short answer: yes
Long answer: Most definitely my next monitor will be 120Hz. As I don't watch much TV, I see myself spending money on an HD projector as opposed to a TV, and am trying to find out if a 3D projector will be cheap enough for me to consider in the next few years.

Physics are second only to gameplay. If a game has good gameplay, and good physics, I could care less how good the graphics are. However bad physics in a game will completely turn me off it. I think it is a very essential part of gaming, and is the direction that game developers, and graphic developers need to be focusing more attention.

Last edited by sixxtoes; 02-09-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #29
jefkz
Obliviot

Having never seen a 3D movie or game I can't say it's too important, but I would love to someday.

I would have to see it first. And have a job.

Very important. It adds a little more excitement to a game.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #30
MarcN5
Obliviot

Default My 2 cents

I think that only gaming would currently benefit from 3D, in order to immerse you into the action. I suppose in the future, movies may have some benefit too.

Only if my TV/monitor dies and it doesn't cost an unreasonably amount of $.

It's essential in any simulation type game.
Closed Thread