Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Site HQ > Site and Forum Comments & Issues

Site and Forum Comments & Issues Comments? Suggestions? Out-right flames? Found a bug? Feel free to post about it here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #31
JollyRoc
Obliviot

1. How important is 3D to you for gaming? Movies? Pictures?
I have only seen 3D in theaters a few times, including the recent Avatar, and was extremely impressed with the depth of the 3D instead of the typical cheap trick of throwing something( of usual poor visual) quality out of the screen at you. I hear that stereo shutter 3D that nvidia and all new TV's are going to use is actually much better than the stuff in theatres and I can not express how amazing that would be for my games at home, pictures, probably not so much.

2. Will you make sure your next TV or Monitor purchase will support 3D?
It definitely will be a 3D TV and an OLED TV hopefully, as I killed my Visa Card to get a Kuro and I need something to blow that out of the water besides 3D.

3. How important are in-game physics to you?
Painfully important, games without physics is like playing with Lego as a kid with all the pieces glued together, no impression/interaction.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #32
grego9198
Obliviot

Before watching Avatar, I was intrigued by what 3D could bring to visual entertainment. I saw Fuji's 3D camera, but the reviews of it have not been very good, I think mainly because there aren't many ways to display 3D pictures as of yet. Avatar was very cool to watch in 3D although I sat in the front row and missed half the action. I think in gaming it will bring an added dimension (quite literally) to the picture as long as developers don't overuse it. Subtle use of the effects like wading through grass or bullets flying past you could really add some immersion to gameplay, especially coupled with a multi monitor setup.

My next TV will likely support 3D because I'm due for a new one in the next or two, by then if 3D becomes more mainstream the prices will have dropped a bit. Monitor wise, I'm considering it, but haven't really decided whether I would take advantage of it as my current rig isn't really set up for gaming.

Very important, they can make or break the game, poor implementation can ruin the playability of a game.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #33
dimasok
Obliviot

Not really important. I never got into the scene, whether it's movies, pictures or gaming. To me, 3D is pretty useless.

Well, just because everyone is going to support it, i'd be probably forced to buy electronics that support 3D and I wouldn't mind if that doesn't increase the price.

Well they influence my gameplay experience so they matter whether based on real-life physics or imaginary physics like in Bayonetta.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #34
Richard Searle
Techgage Staff

Seeing an amazing picture is always a treat. However when you add 3D into that is really add's to my gaming or viewing expierence. I tend to get caught up in the viewing more in 3D, the effect can sometime be a little overwhelming and realistic. Recently watching a 3D movie with snow I honestly felt like it was snowing in the theatre. I would love to add that expierence to gaming.

My next monitor will support 3D, however when it comes to television I like a large television. I just can't see a 50" 3D Television in any budget I will do up soon. That is unless my wife disappears

Nothing is better than feeling like you are part of the game.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #35
wowlolwut
Obliviot

3D gaming will be a whole new thing to experience although it might be more difficult to enjoy at home. It will be relatively important to me as I have never tried 3D gaming before. As for movies and pictures, it will look amazing although from what I gather about these nVidia 3D things is that it just creates depth in the video, nothing actually pops out at you like the old 3D movies. Its importance won't probably be that high since I am fine with how they are right now.

If more and more things come out that support 3D and if the cost of 3D monitors/TVs go down then of course. Need to stick with current tech : )

As of now it's not that important to me as I haven't played much games that fully takes advantage of nvidias PhysX but I have seen some gameplay of Arkham Asylum and it looks amazing.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #36
boa49
Obliviot

It is very important for gaming and movies, but not sure how important for pictures, although that could be cool as well.

Yes. Don't want to buy old technology.

I really like the in-game physics, but not sure they are all important.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:27 AM   #37
orriel
Obliviot

3D seems to be taking a huge jump in the last couple of years. For gaming, it's very important. For movies, it's awesome!! For pictures however, it's not that great of a deal to me.

Oh yes, absolutely!! My TV 150% percent. We watch a lot of movies now, so 3D would just enhance the whole experience. For my monitor it would be just as sweet.

Very much! The more realistic, the more enjoyable it is!

Thanks!
Orriel
Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #38
Yangster
Obliviot

I don't think a game being in 3D is really important. What matters is how fun the game is, the plot, the sounds and visual details, etc. If it has 3D capabilities, then that's great. But a 3D game that is shitty is still a shitty game, and a game that isn't 3D but is fun to play would still be fun to play. For movies, I think it being 3D would be more important than in games. If the plot and such are well executed AND it was in 3D, the movie would seem more realistic and you would be able to immerse yourself in the movie. Pictures, meh. I don't really look at that many pictures.

TV, yes if 3D technology becomes more advanced and practically every movie/show has it. Monitor, mmm I usually play games on my computer and since I don't need 3D tech to play games and I could watch movies on the TV then no for 3D tech in a monitor. It'd be cool to have, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

I think they're pretty important, they make the game seem even more realistic. Although it would depend on the genre. Let's take a fps for example. If the game involves blowing a lot of things up and the environment is extremely important, in-game physics would also be very important. And games that involve their surroundings in general, like Mirror's Edge, in-game physics is very important. Though if the game is more immersed in the plot than in the player's interaction, in-game physics is less important. And personally if the environment really isn't that important, I tend to forget about it and focus on the game's objectives. So basically, if the in-game physics would improve game play, it's essential. If it's only for extra eye-candy, then it's not that important.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #39
Pacman2
Obliviot

I'm in favor of any enhancements that make gaming more realistic

Once I see the technology in action I'll decide if it's worth the money.

From what I've seen of Bad Company 2, It's becoming more important to the games.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #40
Altrus
Coastermaker

Gaming: If you took the amount of saliva I've lost, drooling over that pair of glasses for gaming, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to drown me in it. I mean just imagine the amount of joy a person could get from games with depth. An example, the new game coming out R.U.S.E.. just imagine sitting their looking at your computer monitor, you've the view of a bird, staring out at the battlefield like in most RTSs, now imagine looking out across an entire country side with depth, just stretching out inside your computer monitor.

Movies: I've seen the highs and the lows of 3D movies((you know headaches and all when its done...not good, etc)), and given the good and the bad, nothing can keep me from supporting studios' pursuits of bigger and greater 3D movies. Given the amazingness of an Imax movie and the awesomenesstisity of a 3D movie my imagination just runs completely wild with the thoughts of what could or will be....

Pictures: I can't say I'd personally spend any extra time or money taking pictures that could be rendered in 3D, but other photographer's photos or artists paintings that use 3D models for their composition would be just that much more enjoyable too look at, heck 3D monitors would fully open up a new sub-genre of digital art, with depth and field like never before

My TV already will. After purchasing the new geforce gtx480 I might think about getting a compatible monitor, its all a matter of finances though. Of course considering the TV do I really need it? No. Do I want it?.....Yes

It is my heroine. I am completely in love with them, from the first time I saw water in Cryostasis or cloth ripping in Mirror's Edge. My screensaver is the Nvidia PhysX screensaver of the ball rolling along the path hitting and bursting through various objects. I just can't sit still when I think of what physics enabled games will be like in a few years.
And lets just say that when I'm making games in a few years, no one will be able to persuade me out of throwing...maybe throwing is a bad word...strategically placing Physics into my games....yea that sounds better.

hehe...lot of one posters in just the first day for this constest

Last edited by Altrus; 02-09-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #41
arges86
Obliviot

I can see the benefit of 3d to movies. Avatar was cool. As far as pictures... not really. 3D to gaming, if implemented correctly (aka as part of the game design, not a last minute add on) can be amazing and fully immersive. Probably effecting first person shooters the most.

Of course. It isn't that much more than a non-3D capable display. If the technology really catches on, i wont be behind.

In game physics are eye-candy that add the realism of the game. Batman:Arkham Asylum proved that physics can be a big plus
Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #42
eden999
Obliviot

3D gaming as well as everything 3D is an emerging technology. Due to the lack of current exposure these technologies are quite foreign to me and do not actually know their true importance. I can only speculate on how amazing the visual experience and immersive gaming can be created from 3D.

In Terms of Movies, Avatar was the ultimate experience in 3D. The movement of movies to 3D would be welcomed greatly as it captivates the audience much more and will allow for much more visual experience. However, on the other hand, there could be too great a reliance on this technology and movies would replace their good story lines with just a visual experience.

No probably not purchase a 3D TV, since the technology is still in its infancy and I rarely watch movies at home. Also, there will be lack of media that can run 3D, and will be totally unnecessary for watching standard def. TV.

In game physics are quite important because they are a big part of he realism of games.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #43
wolf2009
Obliviot

3D is one of those things that you don't know how good it is until you try it. Therefore it is hard to convince people on buying 3D. I was not interested in 3D a least bit before i watched it. After I watched a 3D movie, now I want to try games in 3D.

If Nvidia can convince me that 3D gaming is worth it, then I will buy a 3D TV and monitor. As I said above, you have to try it to buy it.

Physics are the next best things to graphics now, and the new frontier in games. Graphics are pretty much maxed out IMO in games these days and physics is where the development will happen in the next 10 years. So physics are very important for me, but one that works on all hardware configurations regardless of vendor.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #44
ottoyu34
Obliviot

I can see the technology picking up in the years to come as bluray 3D is standardized.
But for now, It's the high-end users like us that will enjoy the cutting-edge technology.
Gaming would be the easiest median to enjoy 3D. It changes how you play games
than the traditional way. I wish to see more movies and pictures in 3D.

For sure, If they have high-quality in both 3D and 2D reproduction. I will buy it!

3. How important are in-game physics to you
In-game physics is one way to make games closer to real life. It is just as important as
the "eye candies" in the games. We started to see more physics in the latest games
and hopefully more and better implementations could be done.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #45
i_ferget
Obliviot

1) I haven't had a chance to try games in 3d. my experience with movies, especially lately, have led me to covet this highly.
2) It will certainly be a consideration. Given my druthers, yes, definitely.
3) At first I didn't think they were very important at all. In recent years I've seen these get better, and lately I've been amazed at what they do. I think for the immersive experience that most will be looking for, in game physics will prove to be vital.
Closed Thread