Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Logitech Cordless Precision PS3 Controller

There's a new PS3 wireless controller out there, and it's from none other than the king of peripherals. Their controller costs $10 less than Sony's own offering, but as we have found out, you might be better off spending that extra money.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
Tigerscale
Obliviot

Rob, your comment about the lack of a rechargable battery pack in the Logitec is actually a double sword for the Sony. If need be, you could always use rechargable batteries in the Logitec, however, with Sony's design, there's no way to swap out batteries. You can only charge the controller's existing, embedded, battery. And like any lithium-ion, eventually, it will just stop charging, which means you'll be forced to spend $59.99 on a new controller as apposed to simply replacing the battery. Theoretically, as long as you have a decent set of rechargables, the Logitec could last you indefinitely. So, even though the Logitec may not come with a rechargable, personally, I'd rather replace the batteries rather than the whole controller.

Last edited by Tigerscale; 08-28-2007 at 05:10 AM.
Tigerscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Welcome to the forums!

That's a great point, and one that didn't even pass through my mind. Perhaps it's a triple-edge sword, though. The PS3 gamepad might last three years (I really have no idea the duration of a LiOn battery), but you might spend more on batteries for the Logitech gamepad in that time. Unless of course you use rechargeable, but I've never had great experiences with using rechargeable batteries in devices like this.

I do wonder how long the official gamepad would last... it's a good point. At least when it -does- die, you can use it as a wired gamepad, so not all hope is lost I guess.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
madstork91
The One, The Only...

Tri sword aside (would that make it a tri force sword???)

I nick name this controller "the M" for shape. The PS controllers have done little in the way of fitting my hands since I was ~12-13. This looks thick enough it might though... Might being the operative word.

Last edited by madstork91; 08-28-2007 at 02:43 PM.
madstork91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
Tigerscale
Obliviot

Wired controller...one good point countered with another. Nice! I'll be back with something I'm sure...
Tigerscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

To add... both the Playstation 3 gamepad and this Logitech one both work in Linux without any special drivers. So that gives them both a secondary use... game emulators in Linux. Neither work in Windows though, sadly.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Thumbs down Logitech controller DOESN'T work with GTA5 Prologue

I just bought this controller to save $10 over a Sony controller....

So I have the Sony controller that comes with the system, GTA5Prologue, and the Logitech controller.

Both factory and aftermarket controllers work perfectly fine during all the menu and settings selection screens....pick races and whatnot...

But once the race starts.......3.....2....1.......Go!

You have no control over the vehicle whatsoever.

No steering, no gas, brake, etc.

The ONLY buttons that work are START to pause it....and the PS button for the system screen.

I have tried making this controller 1.......or controller 2.

I have tried putting the USB dongle in different slots...

No dice either way.

It just doesn't work at all during the game for some reason.....I'm taking it back to Target and getting the Sony controller.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default Logitech Gamepad

I also bought this controller as an addition to a new PS3 with GT5 Prologue pack.

It didn't work with the game, as the previous poster states, so I took it back and swapped it, thinking I bought a faulty one. Turns out the second one didn't work either.

Turns out, despite Logitech being involved in the production of GT5 (you will see the Logitech sysbol in a start up screen!) - the controller doesn't entriely work.

Logitech themselves don't not have an explantion/excuse/reason on their website.

Don't buy it and pay the extra for the Sony original.

Moose
Old 05-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

That is incredibly odd, given how much support Logitech has given to the game. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Unregistered24
Guest Poster

Default same problem plus more

my Logitech controller will not work with GTprologue and i dropped once to the floor and the system wont recognize the controllers signal anymore.
everytime i press button the analog light blinks five times but nothing happens.
any answers or suggestions??
Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Smile questionare

i just wanted to know if the logitech cordless prescion controller's L2 and R2 buttons are really that bad? and does work for games such as smackdown vs raw and call of duty 4?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Gobbomob
Guest Poster

Yeah, this controller got it's quirks. No Sixaxis, still requires USB receiver. On the other hand, I prefer putting in batteries to the controller. I use rechargeables, anyway. Also, I got this controller to play fighting games because I find this controller's d-pad is perfect for pulling off special moves in fighting games like street fighter & guilty gear ( I own a 60GB Ps3 that plays Ps/Ps2 btw).
Old 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default USB Dongle

I lost the Dongle that came with this. Will any other Bluetooth Dongle work? Or where will I have to buy one separately and what is it?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:30 AM   #14
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Hi Unregistered:

I contacted Logitech, but they just told me to go to http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/595/&cl=us,en and get official support. I honestly have no idea if any Bluetooth dongle could be used, but I don't see why not. All of the information is stored in the gamepad after all, not the dongle.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #15
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Alright, thanks man. I'll try it with a regular bluetooth dongle then go to that site.

Tags
None