Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Audio

Audio Audiophile or not, all sound card, speakers or general audio posts should be posted here.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Default All ASUS Xonar Users

I have confirmed there is a driver incompatibility between the ASUS Xonar and ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard when paired with Windows 7 64bit. Needless to say this is extremely ridiculous, especially given the ASUS Xonar works in their largest competitor's motherboard (Gigabyte) without problems.

Specifically the problem occurs when 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configurations are selected at the 96Khz or 192Khz settings. Extreme audio distortions will occur depending on the given configuration. Selecting 44.1Khz seems to work around the problem although then the treble sounds way off. Stereo mode works fine... but then what is the point of having a sound card in the first place?

I just wanted to see if anyone else has observed any board specific issues with this sound card.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
lilohtpc
Obliviot

Ouch.. I was thinking about moving to the same platform -- ROG MB + Xonar.
Which Xonar were you using then? do you have MB BIOS version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
I have confirmed there is a driver incompatibility between the ASUS Xonar and ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard when paired with Windows 7 64bit. Needless to say this is extremely ridiculous, especially given the ASUS Xonar works in their largest competitor's motherboard (Gigabyte) without problems.

Specifically the problem occurs when 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configurations are selected at the 96Khz or 192Khz settings. Extreme audio distortions will occur depending on the given configuration. Selecting 44.1Khz seems to work around the problem although then the treble sounds way off. Stereo mode works fine... but then what is the point of having a sound card in the first place?

I just wanted to see if anyone else has observed any board specific issues with this sound card.
lilohtpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilohtpc View Post
Ouch.. I was thinking about moving to the same platform -- ROG MB + Xonar.
Which Xonar were you using then? do you have MB BIOS version?
Sorry for the late reply on this! ASUS Rampage II Extreme BIOS 1802. The card was an Xonar DX.

There is the slight chance the PSU had something to do with this given I've determined it was the root of the instability issues I couldn't seem to fix. Now that you got me thinking about it I should test it, I'll post back after I do.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote