Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Piracy to Blame for Falling Music Sales? I Don't Think So

The decline of music sales is a trend that's showing no end in sight. The UK experienced a 6% drop in overall sales during 2011, and it should come as a surprise to no one that the blame is going straight to piracy. Given other recent trends, however, I feel there are many other (legal) reasons why this trend continues.

Read through my editorial on the decline of music sales, and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
On_Wisconsin
Coastermaker

Recording industry refusing to adapt to new technologies and paying the price? SHOCKING I MEAN THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED EVER

ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" and Samsung 226BW dual monitor setup, Logitech x-540 speakers
On_Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

Survival of the fittest, yo. Coporate darwinism?

Also, wasn't the UK going to implement some kind of three-strikes law whereby you would lose your internet connection if caught pirating three times?

Raptr

"Man could hold the universe in his palm, if only he could learn to unclench his fist."

Last edited by OriginalJoeCool; 01-05-2012 at 12:45 AM.
OriginalJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

The Digital Economy Bill? Not quite - it's a little more complex than just a straight up 3 strikes and you're disconnected. If your IP is flagged for infringement 3 times within a year, your details are passed on to the copyright holder, whereupon they can file for action against you, but it is up to the court whether or not you get disconnected - and only then, it is repeat infringers that are likely to see any kind of injunction (more than 3 times a year).

Further still, this only applies to the 'Big 7' ISPs, companies with more than 400,000 subscribers that are required to hand over details. Smaller ISPs do not need to. If things get out of hand, then the law may be enforceable upon all ISPs.

I believe a lot of the details are still up in the air though, since it has been amended countless times already, so i have no clue as to whether the law is actually being enforced at the moment.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -

Last edited by Tharic-Nar; 01-05-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Glider
Coastermaker

In my previous job I actually got to see what ISPs are required to log, and what they have to be able to "spy in" on... You'd be shocked...
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

Ooh, do tell ...

Techgage should have more smilies. I wanted to put a wide-eyed but not totally freaked-out face here.

Raptr

"Man could hold the universe in his palm, if only he could learn to unclench his fist."
Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
eunoia
Partition Master

I don't think so either, but it's a complex issue, so anyone boiling it down to specific data may interpret however they want. Let's stick to facts:

- There's huge competition from artists who produce and distribute cheaply or even free. Some of the most acclaimed albums of 2011 were both free and competing in the music industry's tradition bastion of postured youth rebellion.

- Demographics I: the northern hemisphere is getting old. Old people buy less music. I already own about 1500 albums, impressing me is rather more difficult.
"There are no new melodies nowadays. What people talk of as 'the last new song' always recalls to me some tune I've known as a child!"
- Lewis Carroll Sylvie and Bruno Concluded

- Demographics II: Young people enjoy their parents music. More college kids listen to Joy Division than when I was in school. It's rather sad, but it keeps me well surrounded by impressionable 20 year-olds. Want even older? Beatles? Bob Marley? Journey? Vince Guaraldi Trio? Lynyrd Skynyrd? Pink Floyd? Eric Clapton? Frank Sinatra? Elvis? Creedence Clearwater Revival? Three Dog Night? Barry White? Elton John? Bob Seeger? Rolling Stones? They're all on the Billboard 200 Albums for the Week of January 14, 2012.

- Though kids are desparate to find something worth spending money on, even to the point of buying a vinyl record to shelve unplayed, the ossified corporations that have impoverished the planet are no longer capable of understanding their market or even the basics of being human.

O.K. maybe that last part was a slight interpretation.
Cooler Master HAF X - Thermaltake Toughpower W0178RU 850W - GIGABYTE G1.Assassin - Intel Core i7 930 - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - Kingston Hyper X Red 1600 4x4GB - 2 X SAMSUNG DVD Burner SH-S223L LightScribe - WD1001FALS 1TB - WD FAEX 1TB - Acer AL2216W - Samsung S27D360 - Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS CHALLENGER Keyboard - Logitech MX620 - Win 7 Professional x64

Last edited by eunoia; 01-05-2012 at 08:23 PM.
eunoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
TheCrimsonStar
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJoeCool View Post
Ooh, do tell ...

Techgage should have more smilies. I wanted to put a wide-eyed but not totally freaked-out face here.
Like this one eh?

Got that in the TKC forums

Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz
ASUS Sabertooth P67
Corsair XMS 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB)
XFX Radeon HD 6970
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W
Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Windows 7 Professional (x64)
TheCrimsonStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

Exactly like that!

Raptr

Old 01-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
Relayer
E.M.I.

I blame it mostly on singles sales. "Back in the day" lots of people complained about buying an album and liking 2 songs. No need to do that anymore. Plus albums are too expensive. They need to drop prices. That's what every other business does. Well, that or cry to the Gov. for some sort of bail out or protectionism. I say if they can't survive let them go the way of the dinosaur. It sure as hell won't make music go extinct just because the record companies do.
Relayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #11
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

There are problems with digital costs too, they should be WAY cheaper than retail, but due to trade agreements, they are not. Then there is this thing called the internet, self hosting, blogging and social media in which bands can promote and even publish themselves - sure, it won't hit the masses unless you are already famous, but you get to keep 70-80% of the sale price. This self publishing is probably something that the statistics don't take into account.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

I often download books to check them out, and then buy them if I like them. Technical books are very expensive - $40 - $60. Sometimes they aren't even worth the time of day.

Take this book for instance: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...pf_rd_i=507846.
It looks damn good, but check out the reviews. One reviewer says it's full of errors. Having read some Andre LaMothe books before, I know this is quite likely.

I can't find a torrent for this book anywhere, though.

Raptr

Old 01-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

What do you think of Blockbuster closing in Canada? That's a pretty big development. The Internet killed the movie rental business.

Raptr

Old 01-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Blockbuster has sucked forever, not going to miss them. I haven't rented a movie in ages though... can't even remember the last time. Blockbuster didn't jump online nearly as fast as it should have, and that's what's killing it today.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #15
Merlin
The Tech Wizard

Default piracy

With all these devices and all these songs on youtube.....Is that piracy?
And I think we still have Spotify streaming music...So why would anyone have the need for music piracy?
GTX280 GPU watercooled
Synology NAS 207 Network Server with 2 Hitachi Terabite drives
LG NAS N2R1 with 2 ea 2 tb drives
LINKSYS PLK300 Powerline Network Kit

Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None