Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Site HQ > Site and Forum Comments & Issues

Site and Forum Comments & Issues Comments? Suggestions? Out-right flames? Found a bug? Feel free to post about it here!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
12inchsubwoofer
Obliviot

Default Rob should do a massive gaming CPU roundup

Hi Rob,

Ok maybe not a massive cpu roundup but would love to see a CPU roundup that includes an Athlon XP barton core, an Athlon 64 and a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition just for kicks for games only. Also Dirt 3 is out, along with Crysis 2, Half Life 2 and Call of Duty, these four games should represent most gaming engines out there. Would be interesting to see how far we have come in terms of gaming performance by putting in a Pentium 4 and an Athlon XP into the mix

Last edited by 12inchsubwoofer; 07-01-2011 at 03:34 PM.
12inchsubwoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Kayden
Techgage Staff

I don't think he would get very far with a P4 or Athlon XP considering there single core and all of those engines utilize multiple cores now, it would be interesting to see head to head but nothing beyond those chips they would just be crushed.
Koolance PC4-1036BK Liquid Cooled Aluminum Full Tower Case (Upgraded to displace 1320watt of heat) - Koolance 360 ver 1.2 CPU Water Block - PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Fluid - Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel I7 950 - Evga GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 x2 in SLI - Tt SMART M1200W PSU - Kingston HyperX 12GB 1600 XMP - Klipsch 5.1 THX Cert Speakers - Sata II OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, Kingston 120GB SV300, WD 2TB, & 320GB - Seagate 1TB - Cyborg RAT 7 MMO Mouse - Logitech G19 - Logitech G13 Gameboard - 1-over-3 Viewsonic's VA2448M-LED 24-Inch for Nvidia Surround - Ergotech Triple Horizontal LCD Monitor Arm Desk Stand

Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
12inchsubwoofer
Obliviot

Oh sure we all know that they would be crushed, but the question is do they still offer "playable" framerates - i.e. > 30 fps. You can pickup a complete Athlon XP system these days for practically for free off from craiglist/kijjiji. From value point of view, it makes perfect sense to put one of each in a benchmark.

Last edited by 12inchsubwoofer; 07-01-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
Kayden
Techgage Staff

TBH I have heard they don't from other gamers because they are limited to AGP video cards, at least with AMD's case. That pretty much limits the video cards up to the 6800 for nvidia and ATI I'm not sure but I'm sure it isn't much more power then that. If we could get a more modern card in there say a 260gtx it maybe worth a look but since they are so limited I don't think it would be worth a look in my opinion.
Koolance PC4-1036BK Liquid Cooled Aluminum Full Tower Case (Upgraded to displace 1320watt of heat) - Koolance 360 ver 1.2 CPU Water Block - PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Fluid - Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel I7 950 - Evga GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 x2 in SLI - Tt SMART M1200W PSU - Kingston HyperX 12GB 1600 XMP - Klipsch 5.1 THX Cert Speakers - Sata II OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, Kingston 120GB SV300, WD 2TB, & 320GB - Seagate 1TB - Cyborg RAT 7 MMO Mouse - Logitech G19 - Logitech G13 Gameboard - 1-over-3 Viewsonic's VA2448M-LED 24-Inch for Nvidia Surround - Ergotech Triple Horizontal LCD Monitor Arm Desk Stand

Last edited by Kayden; 07-01-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
12inchsubwoofer
Obliviot

Quote:
You can pickup a complete Athlon XP system these days for practically for free off from craiglist/kijjiji. From value point of view, it makes perfect sense to put one of each in a benchmark.
Kayden i'm not disagreeing with you, sure it won't be a match in raw performance compared to say i7. But as mentioned above, sure then we could pit a PCI based card say an 8600 GS. Put the same card in a modern processor and compare and contrast. Sure the game would be GPU limited but given that you can pickup an 8600 GS for about $19 these days off kijiji or ebay - it is worth a look. You could have a running system for practically $20. And if it still gives > 30 fps - it is a sweet deal IMHO. So I am not saying use it as a primary workstation but for the sake of anthropological point - it would be cool for kicks. I am writing this on Athlon XP 2500+ based system but I don't have new processors to compare it against.

What would be even cooler is to set process affinity for the modern processors to run the game on a single thread then also on all threads just to see how a single core Core 2 would compare against a single core Athlon XP/Pentium 4. Just for kicks eh.

Last edited by 12inchsubwoofer; 07-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
RainMotorsports
Partition Master

Call of duty would be one thing, but Crysis 2 is a single core no no and you can crank it to 8 ghz for all I care. I am personally at my limits with my Core 2 Duo clocking just over 3Ghz with some of these newer games.

Not sure why half life 2 was thrown into the mix, except it being the one specific title that could be run on these systems.

Yeah nice first post right lol, been reading awhile decided this was the one to chime in on.
RainMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

I can honestly tell you now that a P4 can not play any games made in the last 2-3 years over 30 fps. You're lucky to get 15 fps... how do I know? Because I had been using one for the last 7 years and had nearly given up on gaming completely.

I was using a P4 @ 3.4GHz (single core with HT), 2GB RAM and an AMD HD 3650 AGP GPU, and it didn't matter if I ran games at 800x600 or 1440x900, I was creeping along at 15 fps... there were bursts of 30, sure, but only when you stare at the corner of a room or running an old game.

Half-Life 2 was playable at around 20-25, though when things got hairy and with gun fights, it was same as above with 10-15fps.

I could try running some benchmarks if you want, but the results will be disappointing at best, lol.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s - Audio: ASUS Xonar DX + Corsair HS1 USB Headset

K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: Corsair M60 - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headset: Corsair HS1A - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
12inchsubwoofer
Obliviot

Well I want Rob to do it for us so we can be a bit clear on the methodology of the tests performed. I am running Athlon XP 2500+ with 7600 GT and half life 2 is very playable above 30 fps. Or maybe its that even athlon xp is superior than Pentium 4 but then again anything is better than Netburst architecture which employed an 8 k L1 cache with write-through algorithm.

Last edited by 12inchsubwoofer; 07-01-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Optix
Basket Chassis

I'm having a hard time even beginning this post because of the fact it would be completely irrelevant to just about everybody except those with dated hardware. This would only be worthwhile as a then and now type article for nostalgia sake.

I'm not trying to shoot down ideas or be a tool here but I likely wouldn't read an article on this myself and I'm a hardware freak.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
12inchsubwoofer
Obliviot

Check this out
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.a...tno=499&pgno=3
A pretty good one. Doesn't include the really old cpus but kinda interesting to see that a $60 cpu is exactly the same as $400 cpu in modern time.

Quote:
I'm a hardware freak.
Which is exactly why you wouldn't read it but someone interested in a little bit of anthropology would certainly be interested.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #11
marfig
No ROM battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12inchsubwoofer View Post
Check this out
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.a...tno=499&pgno=3
A pretty good one. Doesn't include the really old cpus but kinda interesting to see that a $60 cpu is exactly the same as $400 cpu in modern time.
For the good number of games out there, the CPU has little influence in gaming. As that comparison clearly demonstrates. Yet you seem interested in processors, more than anything else.

As mentioned before, it's the processor architecture and the limitations it imposes on the rest of the hardware, ranging from the mother board itself to memory and graphics card, that will dictate the poor game performance.

What you propose is for Rob to have an helluva of work. Not to even mention actually finding and setting up these old P4 machines (which wouldn't be easy at all), he then would have to come up with a testing methodology so he can produce graphs and charts that somehow can show comparable values between machines with completely disparate hardware.

All because you are curious and wanted to know if they could offer playable framerates. And all of that would not interest anyone else, probably including Rob himself, as you probably already started to guess from the responses on this thread.

Seems a little unfair of you, no? You start this as a suggestion and somehow have evolved it to a demand of sorts.

So, I'm not Rob. But I did this just for you:

P4 2.5Ghz (Northwood)
3 GB Ram
Windows XP
GeForce 3 Ti 200

Crysis -> Crash right on the start
Far Cry 2 -> Crash right on the start
Fallout 2 -> Crash right on the start

What you don't seem to realize is that most games will. And it will start right up with the graphics cards these systems can hold inside. You see, modern games don't support DX 8.

So, it's tested. Thank you for your time.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
TheCrimsonStar
Tech Monkey

Actually I used to play HL2 and HL2DM on my old P4 @ 2.4Ghz with an 8400GS PCI card (the pc didn't have agp or pcie) and 2GB of RAM, and at max settings at 1440 x 900. I would get nearly 45-50 fps most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfig View Post
So, I'm not Rob. But I did this just for you:

P4 2.5Ghz (Northwood)
3 GB Ram
Windows XP
GeForce 3 Ti 200

Crysis -> Crash right on the start
Far Cry 2 -> Crash right on the start
Fallout 2 -> Crash right on the start

What you don't seem to realize is that most games will. And it will start right up with the graphics cards these systems can hold inside. You see, modern games don't support DX 8.

So, it's tested. Thank you for your time.
hahahaha. (yes that is my only reply to this topic)

Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz
ASUS Sabertooth P67
Corsair XMS 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB)
XFX Radeon HD 6970
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W
Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Windows 7 Professional (x64)

Last edited by TheCrimsonStar; 07-02-2011 at 11:14 AM.
TheCrimsonStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

a massive gaming cpu roundup would require days upon days of sweat and blood! Have mercy on him!!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
RainMotorsports
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfig View Post
For the good number of games out there, the CPU has little influence in gaming. As that comparison clearly demonstrates. Yet you seem interested in processors, more than anything else.

The GPU has to wait for all physics calculations etc etc to be done related to a specific frame before it can even start rendering said frame. In that if your CPU were loaded it can put a bottleneck on the framerate wether it be playable most of the time or not. Yeah the relative fps your getting doesnt matter but the CPU can impact it. Were not talking most games, were talking dated cpu's which put most games that wouldn't matter into the would matter category.

The real question is why did you use a directx8 card? I don't think anyone suggested it. If anyone with these systems were playing older games they would have at least an early dx9 card and hopefully a 9.0c pixel shader 3 compatible card). I dont expect them to actually be rocking stock/outdated unless they never used it.

But since where going for an era all my Pentium 4, Athlon 64 single core machines ran DX9b cards and some games will start on those cards many wont still due to needing ps3 (dx9c) sure as heck not playing them with either those cpu's or gpu's.

Last edited by RainMotorsports; 07-02-2011 at 05:27 PM.
RainMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
marfig
No ROM battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMotorsports View Post
The real question is why did you use a directx8 card? I don't think anyone suggested it. If anyone with these systems were playing older games they would have at least an early dx9 card and hopefully a 9.0c pixel shader 3 compatible card).
Of course. But:
  1. If I don't have any other P4 system, how can I test a P4 processor? So I "tested" a P4 processor with the system I have. And guess what? No article about old P4s running modern games would serve my interests because it couldn't reflect my experience.
  2. Why should I be the only showing sound judgement, when what started as an idea, or a request, ended in a demand?

As for 1, I was being mean of course. But that's the whole point. Not only this "massive CPU roundup" (sic) has to find old equipment in good conditions, but also equipment that can actually run modern games. Trouble is, that further limits the target audience of this massive undertaking, turning such an article into a lot of work for the benefit of a limited few.

Everyone else would probably either skip it entirely or just read it as a statistical curiosity (that would be me, at least). And that would be a bit disappointing for someone spending, possibly, weeks working on it.

I am, of course, NOT Rob. So who knows? He may even find this the coolest thing since Core 2. But that's the trouble of making an open suggestion. It becomes anyone's to comment. PMs exist to avoid that.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote