Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMotorsports View Post
I just have to say 9 dollar usb cord! Thats expensive lol. I hope it's USB 3.0. I know I know wasn't the point. Ever since Monster invited Gizmodo to do a Mono Price vs Monster HDMI test in their own labs I have been a monoprice customer. Not that I ever bought anything from monster but the other options are not cheap either for HDMI. Cant speak for all the chinese junk they have but the cables are outstanding. I drove to 3 stores to find out a SATA cable was 20 bucks and left and even with the gas burnt still saved 10 bucks going home and ordering it off monoprice.
My point exactly....

I see this stuff all the time... Audiophiles who claim they can hear --actually hear-- bit jittering in a latched sound chip... measured in nanoseconds... Gamers who argue high frame rates on 60hz monitors... hot rodders who debate the merrits of different paints in their race times... People, this is called "lost in the minutia!" and more often than not it does little more than empty your wallet, which is the manufacturer's intent.

The days when the goal was to provide a quality product to fill a consumer need are over. These days it's all about finding new ways to part you from your money... and most often with expensive crap that, by and large, does nothing new or better.

Coolers are a good case in point... Zalman seems to produce heatsinks artistically, looking like some giant alien flower growing in your computer rather than on any scientific bases... they almost all ignore the primary rules of good cooling...
1) You need MASS pull heat off the device.
2) You need surface area to dissipate the heat.
3) You need airflow to take the heat away.

A long time ago, back when Toms Hardware had just released their "What happens if you take off the heatsink" video and AMD was exposed as a fire hazard, I got into this debate and described a cooling solution for AMD chips that ended up being pretty much what they did with their x64 line... big plate on the chip, lots of mass, tall fins and a decent fan... All very basic, but all based on sound science.

Now NVidia is doing the AMD thing... way too much power dissipation, tiny heat exchange surfaces, inadequate ventilation etc... and, as I pointed out from the start, their performance doesn't appear to be anything to brag about... especially when you consider there's probably very little difference in performance as the price climbs exponentially...

At the risk of over-driving this point. The guy who's computer I fixed with the $35.00 card, went out and bought a far more expensive ATI card and got the same result... It's a common --and painfully stupid-- consumer mistake to think that "expensive equals better", when most often it merely means "expensive".

The one review I'd love to see, but I'm betting no reviewer would ever do is the "How much better is it?" comparison... $35.00 ATI vs $150 ATI... $40 NVidia vs $250 NVidia... just how much more performance does your money get you?

"An unexamined life is not worth living" ... Socrates

Last edited by 2Tired2Tango; 08-11-2011 at 09:01 AM.
2Tired2Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
Relayer
E.M.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango View Post
I'm sorry if this is a foregone conclusion sort of thing... But I don't get it...

What's with NVidia? Their chips are furnaces, they suck more power than some CPUs and far as I can tell, they're nothing to write home about...

Case in point... I recently had a system come to me with power problems. In the process of trying to diagnose the screwup I pulled out the NVidia card and stuck in a $39.00 ATI card and the system straightened right out... But it didn't end there, suddenly it was playing 1080p avi tests perfectly and running DPI Latency tests showed far lower latency than with the NVidia card... Games worked about the same... A $39.00 passively cooled ATI Radeon 4500 beat the pants off a $250 NVidia card with all it's fan noise, external power etc...

And now we have to use external coolers on them???

So why is NVidia such a big contender?
I'm sorry but I just don't understand it....

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
Your overall complaint currently applies to both brands. Both companies higher end cards use too much power and run too hot, IMO. The HD6900's aren't exactly quiet or cool. I think it's because we are still on 40nm when we should have been at 32nm by now. Soon, when 28nm arrives I think we'll see lower powered, cooler running cards that give better performance.
Relayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
RainMotorsports
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
Your overall complaint currently applies to both brands. Both companies higher end cards use too much power and run too hot, IMO. The HD6900's aren't exactly quiet or cool. I think it's because we are still on 40nm when we should have been at 32nm by now. Soon, when 28nm arrives I think we'll see lower powered, cooler running cards that give better performance.
I was so sure this was so over lol.
RainMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
Optix
Basket Chassis

Nerd rage tech debates are never over. Dis is teh interwebz!

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
spixel
Obliviot

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but I just had to comment. I never understand how so many review sites out there seem to get things wrong. I bought one of these coolers and it dropped my 570 on load from 83 degrees to 47 degrees on lowest fan speed. 44 @ medium fan and 40 @ high fan.

You're also not the only reviewer who got a bit confused with the low/medium/high settings of the cooler. I noticed right away that after 50 percent the rpm does not increase, however there is still 3 clear low/medium/high settings with the fanmate. You tested low/high/high in your review. I'm not sure why your results are so far off from mine though, maybe it was not mounted properly.
spixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #21
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Hi spixel:

I admit I am still left a little confused. You state the RPM doesn't increase after 50%, but the medium and high temperatures differ... I'm not sure what's up there, when mine remained the same. The fanmate I have doesn't state low/medium/high; it's just a dial with the word "up" and an arrow showing which way to turn it. I judged the 50% mark based on how much I had to turn it from its lowest setting to its highest.

For what it's worth, I'm still using the cooler in the same PC it was tested in. Sitting idle at 35C at the moment... not too bad given the rather high ambient temp in here.

/me kicks his A/C.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #22
spixel
Obliviot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Hi spixel:

I admit I am still left a little confused. You state the RPM doesn't increase after 50%, but the medium and high temperatures differ... I'm not sure what's up there, when mine remained the same. The fanmate I have doesn't state low/medium/high; it's just a dial with the word "up" and an arrow showing which way to turn it. I judged the 50% mark based on how much I had to turn it from its lowest setting to its highest.

For what it's worth, I'm still using the cooler in the same PC it was tested in. Sitting idle at 35C at the moment... not too bad given the rather high ambient temp in here.

/me kicks his A/C.
Epic bump again!

Our fanmates are the same. What I meant is the medium should have been tested at 30 percent. Like you mentioned turning the fan contoller past 50 percent does not increase fan speed so it was a bit pointless putting 50 as medium, instead that should have been high. There is 3 distinct speeds on the fanmate, but they only operate over a half a turn of the control knob.

I think one reason your temps might have been high is due to poor case airflow. The Zalman dumps all the heat into the case and it doesn't look like you had an exhaust fan in your test setup because of the corsair cpu cooler. There is also no direct fresh air going to the gpu so it will keep recycling the hot air it blows out.

Last edited by spixel; 05-27-2013 at 01:33 PM.
spixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
Our fanmates are the same. What I meant is the medium should have been tested at 30 percent. Like you mentioned turning the fan contoller past 50 percent does not increase fan speed so it was a bit pointless putting 50 as medium, instead that should have been high. There is 3 distinct speeds on the fanmate, but they only operate over a half a turn of the control knob.
It's hard to judge what's a true medium when the sound and feel of the fan differs so little at >50% speeds. I do agree somewhat, however. 50% might seem like a medium but if a fan doesn't kick in until well past 0% on the dial, than that could be adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
I think one reason your temps might have been high is due to poor case airflow. The Zalman dumps all the heat into the case and it doesn't look like you had an exhaust fan in your test setup because of the corsair cpu cooler. There is also no direct fresh air going to the gpu so it will keep recycling the hot air it blows out.
That's a good observation, and I agree. But with the advent of these AIO coolers, I can see many running into this "problem". I wouldn't mind a chassis design where I could mount a fan off the door to point towards the GPU. I have so much stuff crammed in my chassis, it heats up something awful. Almost to the mount where I'm considering a better cooling solution.

For what it's worth, I'm still running this Zalman cooler, and it's been holding up well. Idling at 39C. I moved apartments since we last spoke, and this one happens to be a wee bit warmer.

The test bench with three monitors might be contributing to that a bit though ;-)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None