Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Site HQ > Site and Forum Comments & Issues

Site and Forum Comments & Issues Comments? Suggestions? Out-right flames? Found a bug? Feel free to post about it here!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #31
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Cool Count me in

I do not have a backup solution, and just over a month ago one of our secondary computers (lucky not much important info was on it) crashes....motherboard fried, and we had no backup of course...*sigh*

Twitter: ACM83
Old 10-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #32
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I guess I should give my backup solution also.

I am preparing to use a NAS box in the near future for the bulk of my backups, but for the time-being I have a couple 2.5" 750GB drives that I plug into the computer each week and run a script to sync up. In between these periods, I have scripts that run through the week to backup data across two drives, just in case one happens to die before my scheduled weekly backup comes around.

Once I have a NAS setup, I'll sync to it daily using SyncBack in Windows and a bash script in Linux (I tend to be in either or OS lately due to benchmark testing), but still do the same thing with the 2.5" hard drives so I always have another copy of my data stored safely in my closet.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #33
Psi*
Tech Monkey

I use an external drive dock with a few 1 TB drives Kind of a roulette game to recover something.
Psi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #34
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi* View Post
I use an external drive dock with a few 1 TB drives Kind of a roulette game to recover something.
Haha, I know that feeling very well.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #35
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default Acronis 2010 Saved my Bacon

A year or so ago, I was making system changes on my WinXP PC. I knew it was risky business. So, I used Acronis 2010 to Clone my hard drive to a 2nd hard drive.

When I finished the system changes I had totally mucked my PC. Luckily, I was able to re-Clone the cloned hard drive back onto my boot drive and I was back to normal as if nothing had ever gone wrong with my PC.

Twitter: CQVoIP
Old 10-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #36
Unregistered
Guest Poster

I've the Acronis true image wd edition 13 and it's great. It's save two time me when I take virus!

I hope to win!

twitter: @franzo87
Old 10-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #37
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default My Data Protection Plan

Twitter Handle: TLMartin80

Hi My Dataprotection/Backup strategy is this;

For starters al my main important files, like photos, music, movies, itunes, documents etc are stores centrally on a RAID 5 Buffalo NAS Quad drive. This means everything is accessible from any PC in the house. By using RAID 5 I get 3x enhanced read speed, plus parity protection incase 1 drive fails. This I appreciate is redundancy and not backup, but this has saved my a** when I did have 1 drive fail as it allowed me to continue working as normal until I had my replacement drive.

This NAS box has 2 backups runningg. 1 is a full backup backing up everything weekly, THis backup is done to 2 external 2TB drives with both stored off site except when 1 is being used to have the backup being done.
The second backup is a daily one done over 2 external 2TB drives again, which backs up my work files that do change every day. My photos and Music, and iTunes only change maybe once a month. Again 1 of these drives is always stored offsite
Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #38
to6ko91
Obliviot

Default Acronis True Image Home 2012

My current back-up solution is Acronis True Image Home 2011 doing incremental backing every week or so and then this back up is copied to external hard drive every month and the process starts over again from scratch (on top of that my music collection is backed up on 4 different hard drives as well as included in the acronis backup) you may be wondering why the over kill well being a dj and loosing your music is the worst ting that could happen. Happily I can say Ive managed too keep my data together but thats not to say I havent had my share of problems. One time my laptop was siting on a fairly tall table (1.2-1.5m) and one of my friends while passing by accidentally pulled the power cord along with the laptop... laptop did a few spins in the air and landed bottom down and surprise surprise after those acrobatic stunts the hard drive was completely dead (surprisingly laptop survived with no major damage). The good underlining in this story is I had just started using the 2011 version and my last full back up was from the night before so after getting a new hard drive and a few hours later my laptop was back in full swing with no data loss.
to6ko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #39
papajohn
Obliviot

I am using BounceBack SW to back up my data to an external HD everyday at noon.
papajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #40
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Exclamation My Story

I currently do not have a backup plan implemented but I am planning on buying Acronis True Image 2011. (A link to this contest appeared in my News Feed so I'm entering; even if I don't win I will still end up buying it at some point.) I still haven't purchased an Acronis product because I was the type of person who thought "I will never need a backup since my drives are well taken care off that nothing bad can ever happen to them." This was, unfortunately, so not true. About three weeks ago a 16GB microSD card I have got corrupted. That memory card was my life! It not only was used on my Android phone but it also was used to store most if not ALL of my documents, pictures, etc. (I believe it also had some Game Data from my PS3.) I was so mad that now I make exact disk images of my new memory card. If I win this I will start using it to backup my computers and that memory card!

Contact Info- https://www.facebook.com/BeastOps666
Old 10-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #41
Unregistered
Guest Poster

I need this!

My wife runs XP sp3 with AOL software. Twice I spent hours removing bad viruses. Would love to simply be able to restore from an image. Not sure of the best way to do that. She loves her old system, but it is difficult to work with. Adding a 2nd drive requres a special HP drive bracket needed.

Our Win7 notebook is supposedly imaged on an external drive, with a boot CD-R (via OS utility), but people have told me that this can fail. I need a network drive on our router for easy household backup (using this software).

Hope you pick me, but if not, I thank you for helping me find the software to purchase.
http://www.facebook.com/thomas.mehrl
Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #42
amazingAG
Guest Poster

Most of them want it because they don't have any backup solution but i want it because i already have a backup solution. LOL, seems confusing??

Actually i have a backup software with which i am not at all happy. I have heard it it is one of the best in usability as well as in features, so i want this. I would appreciate if you can count my name for the draw.
Thanks for the nice giveaway.

https://twitter.com/#!/amazing_AG
Old 10-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #43
Linu
Guest Poster

Cool BackUp

My backup plan was using Paragon's back up and true Image older version. Its fail safe and would like the newer version. The biggest failure was earlier when I was a newbie to back up and didn't read the instructions, when I did the back up and when I tried to restore a non-starting computer, I didn't know I had to have a boot up disk for starting the back up process.Had to reinstall as I didn't have anyone who had this software. Learned my lesson and hence forth burn the start up disk. Thanks for the giveaway. Twitter name : aviator365
Old 10-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #44
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Thank you for this giveaway.
count me in please.

My backup solution right is filesync free & 2,5" external hdd.
Yes, I've experienced a data disaster in the past. It was very sad, expecialy lost of photos.

Twitter: @contifor
http://twitter.com/contifor
Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #45
Paf Borg
Guest Poster

Smile

Hello, thanks for this excellent giveaway.
1. My current backup solution is Easeus ToDo Backup.
2. I had a main disaster some years ago, when I did not use a backup solution, and I lost everything. I had some minor disasters since then, but I could manage with the traditional cd copies of most of my files.

My story about backup is a typical one from someone who does not know much about these "good practices": 1. When I used to think about backup, I only thought about file copies. And I was pretty convinced I could do a copy of my files on a usb or a cd, and keep it safe out of my computer. Result: a bag full of diskettes (first), cd’s (second) and usb (latest) with lots of files that I never could find when I wanted/needed. 2. The second problem was that frequently I forgot to do those copies, and when my computer crashed on several occasions (due to my ignorance installing software that I didn’t fully knew), the most important files seemed to be the ones I missed to copy, and the others I got tired to look for in the diskettes/cd’s/usb. Result: I couldn’t have my old computer back, and I had to start all over. 3. The third thing was that in my copies I only had files (documents, pictures, etc.) and nothing more. Result: I lost most of my programs and my computer configuration.
I would like to win a license mainly because:
• I saw that “Acronis Nonstop Backup automatically creates incremental backups every five minutes, allowing users to roll back their system, files, and folders to any point in time”. This seems to me like magic: I don’t have to remember constantly about making copies, and I can go back to the good sunny days after I make some of my usual mistakes, due to my tech ignorance.
• I saw that Acronis can do a “complete system backup and recovery of operating system, applications, settings and personal files”. If this is true, this would solve my third problem.
• And I was amazed seeing that Acronis can “create a secure, controlled temporary workspace on your computer without requiring you to install special virtualization software. You can perform various system operations without worrying that you might damage your operating system, programs or data.” This is really excellent, first because I don’t know nothing at all about “virtualization” and second because I do a lot of mistakes installing software that look pretty nice but often ending with a new windows installation

I would appreciate if you could count me in. Thanks in advance.

Twitter: @pafborg