Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Video Cards and Displays

Video Cards and Displays AMD, NVIDIA graphics card talk, as well as monitor/HDTV discussion.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
leecho7
Partition Master

Default Upgrading my video card.

Well, I'm going to be upgrading my mobo and graphics card next week. I'm thinking of getting the ATI x1800xt 512mb card.

Quick question though, is it recommended to get an ATI crossfire mobo instead of a nvidia chipset to use this card? I'm only planning to use 1 card.
The way we saluting flags, wrapping them around our heads when ni**az ain't become American till 9/11 //Feeling like you gotta sneak into heaven//When the reverend looking like a pimp and the pimp look like the reverend...
People let me paint a picture You know I ain't a christian I ain't a muslim, ain't a jew I'm losing my religion I speak to god directly...
~Around my Way - Talib Kweli

You go to church to find you some religion//And all you hear is connivin' and gossip and contradiction and//You try to vote and participate in the government//And the muh'f***in' Democrats is actin' like Republicans
~The Beautiful Struggle - Talib Kweli
leecho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I'd go with an NVIDIA chipset.. it seems more stable/feature rich than the ATI version.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

From personal experience, I would say nVidia. I have also been told great things from Kyle at All American Computers about the x3200 chipset from ATI. He absolutly loves that chipset. But you cannot go wrong with either and I am only recommending nVidia because its what I use and I have had 0 problems with it. Ever.

System:
Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | WD 2TB Green x 1 | EVGA 660 Ti Superclocked | Corsair H80 Water Cooler
Fractal Design R3 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 1920x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i7 920 @ 3.0 GHz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 1TB Black x 2
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:35 AM   #4
Tech-Daddy
Tech Monkey

For single card use, either chipset will deliver you dreay, silky smooth performance. ATI's 3200 shipset and NVidias offerings...

The only time it matters is if yo uare going t opick a side on the dual card equation, then your vendor really comes into play.

But if you are 1 Video card, and happy... it toally bois down to who you want to give your money to!
Old 07-07-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
leecho7
Partition Master

I decided to dish out extra $ to get myself top of the line ATI card. I'm talking about the x1900xtx, or the nvidia 7950 series. So over the weekend, I must contemplate on which card to get throughout a long period of meditation and fasting while beating a daishiki on a rock with a stick.
The way we saluting flags, wrapping them around our heads when ni**az ain't become American till 9/11 //Feeling like you gotta sneak into heaven//When the reverend looking like a pimp and the pimp look like the reverend...
People let me paint a picture You know I ain't a christian I ain't a muslim, ain't a jew I'm losing my religion I speak to god directly...
~Around my Way - Talib Kweli

You go to church to find you some religion//And all you hear is connivin' and gossip and contradiction and//You try to vote and participate in the government//And the muh'f***in' Democrats is actin' like Republicans
~The Beautiful Struggle - Talib Kweli
leecho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I'd get the 7950GX2, but I am not sure how much faster it is than the X1900XTX. I would imagine it would be a decent boost though.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #7
Bobbythecat
E.M.I.

Thumbs up

I guess you ought to just to all the way if you're going for the top end! Either card I think would be overkill anyways for games down the line! Good times.
Attorney #1: I stepped on a baby bird this morning on the way into the courthouse.
Attorney #2: The jokes are right. We don't have souls.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."
~ Mark Twain. Many may say something like it, but few act upon it. Woe unto them.
Bobbythecat is offline   Reply With Quote