Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Mobile & Small Form-Factor Computing

Mobile & Small Form-Factor Computing Discuss notebooks, PDAs, Smartphones, Cell Phones and all other mobile devices here.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
marfig
No ROM battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Either way, the fact is that Siri started out on a high, but things declined fast. People liked it at first, claiming it could be the future of computing, but after it was actually put to use for a few weeks by those who have a 4S, the realities of it all has become clear.
And that is basically the problem with fads. Particularly to do with technology; a branch of our daily lives that has unfortunately fell a victim to the most asinine coverage.

Siri, per se, isn't a bad technology. It's a cool technology. However many tech news websites and personal blogs fail to make it clear this is also a showcase technology that is far from being any good for any real daily use, much less a perfected technology. They just hail these type of technologies as breakthroughs when in fact they have existed for decades. Just in a form that many of these people who write about things they have no clue about, never heard before.

The problem with Siri (and speech recognition in general) is this; we got used to deterministic devices that answer correctly to our input. Be it a mouse, a keyboard or a gesture, we trust our devices to accurately interpret our commands and produce the expect output. Speech Recognition is far from having reached this level. And thus, very quickly, it reveals its weaknesses. In a day and age where fast and accurate human control is a staple of any device (from a PC to a smartphone), speech recognition is still, and just, a curiosity.

Quote:
Apple might well perfect this in time, but I don't see that happening for a good while (Nuance has been on this for ages, after all, and its Dragon suite is still far from perfect).
Apple will perfect nothing.

Siri uses what is probably just a subset of Nuance's Dragon Express product for speech recognition. It then uses a second component known as Natural Language Processing, which essentially parses the recognized input and issues the proper commands to the device.

As an example, lets assume I talk to my iPhone and say "Send my calendar to Adam everyday at Eigth AM". More than just recognize the speech, NLP needs to interpret this command and with knowledge of the iPhone calendar, contacts and email applications, parse the command and issue the proper commands in the correct sequence.

Now, what really brings the technology forward isn't so much NLP. It too, but to a lesser extent. Our A.I. technologies are already very capable (although not yet easy to integrate on small handheld devices with limited specs). What really pushes the technology forward is Speech Recognition. This is the essential component that still requires quite a few decades of research so that we can have what I like to call Voice Control at the same level of a keyboard or mouse.

And Speech Recognition technology can only be developed by companies like Nuance and a few others (including some consortiums and non-profit organizations)
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

The androids in most sci-fi must have some damn good speech recognition subroutines.

Raptr

"Man could hold the universe in his palm, if only he could learn to unclench his fist."
OriginalJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
You seem very quick to point out any negative about Apple, so I simply thought I give a different point of view... do you have a problem with people who have a different opinion than yours?
I could almost ask the same thing, given how quickly you try to debunk anything I say that goes against Apple.

I read a large number of tech sites each day, some of which happen to be pro-Apple. I never stop reading at just one article, because that's not how you get the "big picture". This is the case of Siri.

You might note that when Siri launched, I said, "it does sound like one of the coolest features to come to a phone in a while."

Since then, there's been a lot more information and usage tests to come out, and with all those opinions I've consumed, I formed my own. You on the other hand seem to seek opionions of someone who agrees with you.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, and we're all entitled to disagree with the opinions of others. But more often than not, your opinions, and links to articles, seem to be heavily Apple-biased (I mean, you repeated that you found one URL under a time-constraint, and it managed to be some obscure blog that's barely kept updated - surely there would have been a more reputable source to come before that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfig
Apple will perfect nothing.
Alright, I agree here... it's not Apple's doing, but Nuance's. I do wonder - is Nuance locked into an exclusive partnership with this, or are other mobile OS vendors able to sign deals as well?

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
marfig
No ROM battery

Quote:
I do wonder - is Nuance locked into an exclusive partnership with this, or are other mobile OS vendors able to sign deals as well?
We just don't know, unfortunately. Both Apple and Nuance have been very tight-lipped about their partnership. As is the unfortunate case of almost all Apple partnerships.

Personally I think there's a fat chance Nuance will ever lend technology to any other device or OS maker. The nature of these contracts is almost always exclusive. In any case, there are others developing the same technology. So vendors can go shop elsewhere. Nuance isn't the only kid in the block.

Nuance Exec on Siri:
http://techpinions.com/nuance-exec-o...of-speech/3307
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote