Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Disabling Windows Pagefile & Hibernation to Reclaim SSD Space

With the storage space offered on traditional HDDs, SSDs can leave a bit to be desired. Making matters worse are the Windows hibernation mode and pagefile, responsible for hogging at least 8GB (22GB in my case) of your precious SSD space. We're taking a look at the caveats of disabling both, and discuss the fixes.

You can read our quick how-to on reclaiming storage space hogged by hibernation and the pagefile, then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
Kougar
Techgage Staff

I'd like to urge some caution when considering removing the pagefile from Windows. It may seem useless for systems with 6GB+ of RAM, but Windows uses it for some miscellaneous functions, one of which is sleep mode. If the pagefile is removed completely then users typically can't get sleep mode to function properly, in addition to the inability to store crash and error dump files from RAM.

For users with 12GB of RAM I don't see a problem with dropping the pagefile size to say, 4GB, but I'd still recommend leaving the file there. I don't believe moving it to a hard drive would affect using sleep mode, but I actually never used sleep mode to say for sure.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 AM   #3
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Smile

Moved the pagefile to a mechanical drive and never use hibernation so disabled it - freed up 12G on my 60G Vertex 2.

Cheers for that!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Optix
Basket Chassis

I had my pagefile turned off completely but thanks to Rob asking a few questions before posting this article, I clued in that this is likely the reason for the low memory warnings when I play games. Duh!

As for the hibernate file, I don't have one showing. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I set my system to never sleep in the power options? I haven't really done any reading on hibernation since my system is either on, on with the monitor off or off all together.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
I'd like to urge some caution when considering removing the pagefile from Windows. It may seem useless for systems with 6GB+ of RAM, but Windows uses it for some miscellaneous functions, one of which is sleep mode. If the pagefile is removed completely then users typically can't get sleep mode to function properly, in addition to the inability to store crash and error dump files from RAM.
I did a couple of quick tests on my desktop and notebook, and both with or without a pagefile, sleep worked just fine. However, without the pagefile on my desktop, FRAPS gave me some error when I came back, which I assume is because certain bits of information from the pagefile couldn't be grabbed.

Still, getting around that problem just means having a page file, but having it scale from 16-4096 MBs as I mentioned in the article. That way sleep mode should still work no problem, and you won't lose any GBs (it could be that the required information only takes 16MB anyway, which is why that's the minimum).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
For users with 12GB of RAM I don't see a problem with dropping the pagefile size to say, 4GB, but I'd still recommend leaving the file there. I don't believe moving it to a hard drive would affect using sleep mode, but I actually never used sleep mode to say for sure.
In the case of 8GB of RAM or more, I'd quicker recommend moving the pagefile to an alternate drive. Chances are it will never be touched, so you really don't want to be wasting even 4GB of your SSD on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Moved the pagefile to a mechanical drive and never use hibernation so disabled it - freed up 12G on my 60G Vertex 2.
Nice! Talk about a simple fix to regain 20% of your SSD space ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
I clued in that this is likely the reason for the low memory warnings when I play games. Duh!
As far as I recall, you're running 4GB of RAM, right? That's why I mentioned it'd be recommended to leave a pagefile in tact if that's the case. It can still be located elsewhere, but again, with such a low amount of RAM, that pagefile is bound to be accessed at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
As for the hibernate file, I don't have one showing. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I set my system to never sleep in the power options? I haven't really done any reading on hibernation since my system is either on, on with the monitor off or off all together.
I have doubts with that to be honest, because sleep and hibernate don't operate the same way. Hibernate doesn't rely on the ACPI bus to go into some low-level power state, while Sleep does. That's the reason why when you Hibernate, you still see the POST and boot-loader, but with Sleep you don't.

Could you have disabled it back when you first got your SSD and were "optimizing" it?

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Unregistered
Guest Poster

There MIGHT be a way to relocate the hibernation file with junctions/symbolic NTFS links.

You can do it manually, but I prefer to use a utility that gives shell extension to creating these:
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...kshellext.html

Incidentally this is how you have steam have games located in different places, especially for SSD drives. You probably have a couple games you'd like to load faster on the SSD but doing the entire steam install is too big for SSD.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
Optix
Basket Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Could you have disabled it back when you first got your SSD and were "optimizing" it?
There's a good chance that I did. I'm not sure if you recall how my "optimization" changes resulted in an OS reload and a long string of obscenities so I'm sure there were quite a few things that I tinkered with.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Kougar
Techgage Staff

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall hibernation being disabled by default in desktop Windows 7 installs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
In the case of 8GB of RAM or more, I'd quicker recommend moving the pagefile to an alternate drive. Chances are it will never be touched, so you really don't want to be wasting even 4GB of your SSD on it.
I totally agree! This is actually what I've done myself. There is one side-effect though... the WEI score for the storage system will change to 5.9 because it will test the drive the pagefile is moved to... more of a bug than anything, but if users were wondering why their SSD was capped at 5.9 that'd be it.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
siberx
Obliviot

Although disabling the pagefile entirely on systems with an abundance of RAM may seem like a good idea initially, in practice (at least on Windows based systems) it's usually more problematic than is worth it. Due to Windows' architecture and software stack *expecting* a pagefile, certain operations will just fail or not work properly without any obvious error messages (a couple examples have already been mentioned here). The better solutions are not to remove it entirely, but to move it to another drive (a hard drive is fine, since it'll only see light use the slow speed is not a problem) or to set it to a scaling size with a low limit. The pagefile doesn't need to be *big*, it just needs to be *there*.

About the recommendation to disable hibernation, this is a great trick to recover some SSD space; not only are SSDs small and benefit well from the recovered space, they're so fast at bootup that normal startup/shutdown is nearly as fast as hibernate would've been anyways.
IMPORTANT NOTE THOUGH: Trying to run the powercfg command to disable hibernation on a stock Windows 7 install will give you a permission error - you need to run cmd as administrator and accept the UAC prompt (assuming you have it enabled) and then run "powercfg -h off".
siberx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #10
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default pagefile

siberx, would 1GB pagefile be enough for a 8GB RAM system? Or how big would you recommend, if it just needs to be there to store logs and stuff, 10MB?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:50 AM   #11
siberx
Obliviot

A gig or two should work just fine for a system like that, but the best thing to do is just try 1GB and if it doesn't give you any weirdness or crashing in your programs, great! If it does, just bump it up a bit

I've never experimented with *really* small (<512mb) page files so I don't have much input there, but for the few hundred megs you'd save compared to a gig or so it's probably not worth the trouble.
siberx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #12
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

Nice post man! This will definitely come in handy when i get the 80GB Intel SSD!!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
DarkStarr
Tech Monkey

I always shrink and move my pagefile, I had left hibernation on but I turned it off since I got my sleep mode working.
- Asus Radeon 7970 Ref. (Non Ghz)
Heatkiller 79xx Ni-Bl (Soon) @ 1050/1500
- 64Gb Crucial M4 SSD - 3x Hitachi 1Tb - Corsair TX950W
Azza Genesis 9000B - 2x Samsung SyncMaster S27A550H - Vizio 32" LCD

DarkStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #14
Kayden
Techgage Staff

I read this when it first came out and totally spaced it when I got my SSD. I scored another 13GB from my SSD, thanks for the reminder Rob!
Koolance PC4-1036BK Liquid Cooled Aluminum Full Tower Case (Upgraded to displace 1320watt of heat) - Koolance 360 ver 1.2 CPU Water Block - PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Fluid - Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel I7 950 - Evga GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 x2 in SLI - Tt SMART M1200W PSU - Kingston HyperX 12GB 1600 XMP - Klipsch 5.1 THX Cert Speakers - Sata II OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, Kingston 120GB SV300, WD 2TB, & 320GB - Seagate 1TB - Cyborg RAT 7 MMO Mouse - Logitech G19 - Logitech G13 Gameboard - 1-over-3 Viewsonic's VA2448M-LED 24-Inch for Nvidia Surround - Ergotech Triple Horizontal LCD Monitor Arm Desk Stand

Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

No probalo!

Tags
None